Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« on: 17 Dec 2022, 12:51 pm »
I live in the country so our little theater has no 3D or fantastic sound system, so everything here is based just on the movie itself.  I loved it.  Just as cheesy plot as the first, and twisted to be a hit with families across America and the world, but I didn't care about the cowboys and Indians focus.  I still had a little tear welling up once or twice.  I still cheered for the Navi despite the humans being the worst shots I've ever witnessed.  Couldn't hit the broad side of a barn was coined for these guys.  Also the set ups for Avatar 3 were blatant.  I could easily see the scenes designed to exploit 3D, those that enjoy wearing the glasses with be enthralled.  None of that bothered me a bit, I thoughly enjoyed the movie experience.     

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: Avatar - The Way of Water
« Reply #1 on: 17 Dec 2022, 02:26 pm »
Thanks for the write up! I told my wife the movie is out, and we ought to be able to watch it at home on our new 65" TV. Sadly, my system here doesn't have a subwoofer, but we'll make do.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 25 Dec 2022, 12:15 pm »
I'm glad it was an enjoyable film.  I liked the original better when it was Fern Gully & Dances With Wolves. :wink:  So far this one isn't compelling me to head to the theater but maybe when it's out on video I'll check it out. :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 25 Dec 2022, 02:29 pm »
Thx for the write up - I'll probably wait until the last showing on a week night (right now that's 10 PM) next week or the week after and avoid people going to work and kids going to school.  I still enjoy 3D at home and hope when it is eventually released on home video they will release it that way.

Bendingwave

• Restricted
« Reply #4 on: 5 Jan 2023, 02:11 am »
Some reviews werent that great complaining that it was to long so I didnt have any high expectations for this movie but after watching it this movie is pretty good and action packed the way I like em.

Folsom

« Reply #5 on: 5 Jan 2023, 08:27 am »
I only caught the end.

The younger characters saying "bro bro bro bro" made me want to stick hot pokers in my ears... I'll wait for it to play free somewhere before revisiting.

The original was first, which really sets it up in a different way. It was still only an ok movie, but I didn't develop Avataritis...

Charles Xavier

« Reply #6 on: 7 Jan 2023, 07:04 am »
Saw this last night. I thought it was fantastic. 3d was amazing and the sound was superb. I don't remember being in a theater where I could hear the surround sound without having my head blown off

AllanS

« Reply #7 on: 7 Jan 2023, 01:25 pm »
Predictable.  Cheesy.  Overt social commentary.  Heartwarming.  Engaging.  Well crafted.  Loved every minute of it.

Charles Xavier

« Reply #8 on: 7 Jan 2023, 02:05 pm »
I will say the ending was a rip
 off of one of Camerons other movies. I wilI not spoil it for those who have not seen it yet.hought it should have been done a different way

WGH

« Reply #9 on: 16 Jan 2023, 11:06 pm »
Absolutely loved it, the 3 hours 12 minutes went by too fast. Character development A+; Action scenes A++; Plot points leading to another 2 films A+.

The villains are really bad, I hate them and want them all to die! The family unit of Jake, Neytiri, and their kids is well done, very heroic and not as gagging as latest Lost in Space series. But we're here for the action and Avatar: The Way of Water packs a punch, from the very start of the film I thought "My home theater doesn't do this, I need a bigger sub"

Where to sit in the theater? I did a quick search and the consensus was to sit closer than usual when viewing 3D. I picked the 7th row at a Cinemark XD theater with the biggest screen. At first, the preview trailers were too big, not a pleasant experience. When Avatar started the close-up seating was perfect, completely immersive as James Cameron intended. I have read that the film mixes regular and High Frame Rate scenes but I never noticed the switch. The underwater scenes are all High Frame Rate and beautiful, the clarity and motion smoothness was like looking into a floor-to-ceiling, wall-to-wall aquarium, no difference, nada. No motion sickness either, I can't play 1st person shooter games because I get sick, luckily this 3D didn't have that effect at all.

Note: Not all big screens are 3D, careful what theater you pick, IMAX is big screen but not 3D. Look for the XD Real D 3D logo.

These little fish are almost in your lap

The action scenes are intense, animals die, people die, a chase by a giant toothy fish is so realistic in 3D that a young child would be traumatized for years, the film is rated PG13.

Avatar: The Way of Water gets my highest rating. See it in 3D as the director intended, it was filmed on custom 3D high frame rate cameras.
 :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Watch the trailer, the film is bigger, sharper and clearer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9MyW72ELq0

jonbee

« Reply #10 on: 17 Jan 2023, 06:02 am »
I liked the beauty and the development of the tribes, but once again I'm put off on the reliance on war and battles for the story line. I'd hoped for a more creative narrative, but I guess they think they need "action" to sell enough tickets.

WGH

« Reply #11 on: 17 Jan 2023, 06:30 pm »
... once again I'm put off on the reliance on war and battles for the story line.

I re-watched the first Avatar the same evening after watching The Way of Water because I forgot a lot after 14 years, it still holds up. I noticed right away that computer graphics has advanced. The Na'vi world was attacked in that film too. If the Na'vi didn't fight back it would have been a very short epic adventure.

The first film had Pandoran wildlife join the attack and overwhelm the humans. In The Way of Water I noticed the Na'vi were well armed, they must have been selling unobtanium on the black market and buying weapons so I get your point. Will they remain a peaceful spiritual civilization or start warring among themselves and nuke their planet in the final film? Maybe James Cameron has a point to make.

That's bleak, probably too many dystopian zombie series in my life although "The Last of Us" on HBO is pretty good. The new series stars Pedro Pascal and Bella Ramsey who we remember as the the fierce and outspoken Lyanna Mormont, the 13-year-old head of House Mormont of Bear Island in "Game of Thrones"

VinceT

« Reply #12 on: 16 Feb 2023, 04:51 pm »
I had a chance to watch the 3D version while it is still in the theater in my area.

Aside from the gripes about the plot and slang  :roll:, Avatar is visually stunning, especially in 3D. That alone is well worth the price of admission. As audiophiles we appreciate great sound, I also appreciate this movie for how darn good the cinematography and graphics are done. I don't think I have seen anything better at this point.

mcgsxr

« Reply #13 on: 16 Feb 2023, 05:18 pm »
My daughter (late teen) watched the original with her friends (I own few Blu-Rays but that is one) and they enjoyed it.

They went to see the current one - and went back again.  They really liked the new one a lot.

I have seen the old one a number of times, but am unclear I want to go see the new one in theatre.  The amazing sound might draw me in though!

Jan_Mc

« Reply #14 on: 16 Feb 2023, 10:48 pm »
I thought The Last of Us was complete drivel.  The same tired zombie story played over again with a slight twist.  Glad you enjoyed it but I certainly will not be watching more episodes.