BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER

odessamarin

Re: BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER
« Reply #1200 on: 8 Apr 2019, 01:00 pm »
Have you tried using the BHA-1 balanced input with some other source? Input stage of an amplifier can overload with a high voltage signal. However, I checked the Schiit website and it states a maximum output of 4 V for the Iggy, therefore the same as a Bryston BDA-2 so this shouldn't be an issue.

Yes I did.. Bryston BDA-1, Hugo TT, Gustrad x20, all balanced connected with Bryston and all good!
This Bryston "allergy" to Schiit Yggdrasil  is very interesting to understand and eventually resolve.
Seems it somehow bryston amp too sensitive to yggdrasil form balanced input. Strangely not by voltage (it is not higher then other DACs, i measured, it's 4,22 to be precise), but something like resistance/current intolerance between them?
What is interpreting, if I still use balanced interface between Bryston and Yggy BUT use single ended output for headphones instead of balanced output... all sound perfect again. As i understand in this case Bryston will use just half of its power.. 
I am going to try  -10dB attenuators for XLR connection and see if it may help. But really looking for the way to decrease Bryston gain.
From other comments I've seen some other amps often implement attenuation select for balanced input. Apparently briston do need it as well to be more friendly and universal.
Any help how to decrease Bryston gain is vert welcome. I have 2 Bryston amps, and want to modify one to be less powerful! please help.

.. and considering i have this non linearity strongly in low spectrum. It like bass depression. This seem like sort of overload at some stage.

UPDATE
Get reply form Bryston about eventual mod.
The mod can reduces overall gain by around 12db in both modes (High and Low), leaving around 2 db and 8 db of gain.
For details you need to contact Bryston support directly.

XLR in line attenuators -10dB arrived.. balanced output improved a bit, but still single ended output is much better when yggdrassil connected to Bryston via balanced XLR.
« Last Edit: 9 Apr 2019, 07:23 am by odessamarin »

R. Daneel

« Reply #1201 on: 10 Apr 2019, 09:08 am »
Yes I did.. Bryston BDA-1, Hugo TT, Gustrad x20, all balanced connected with Bryston and all good!
This Bryston "allergy" to Schiit Yggdrasil  is very interesting to understand and eventually resolve.
Seems it somehow bryston amp too sensitive to yggdrasil form balanced input. Strangely not by voltage (it is not higher then other DACs, i measured, it's 4,22 to be precise), but something like resistance/current intolerance between them?
What is interpreting, if I still use balanced interface between Bryston and Yggy BUT use single ended output for headphones instead of balanced output... all sound perfect again. As i understand in this case Bryston will use just half of its power.. 
I am going to try  -10dB attenuators for XLR connection and see if it may help. But really looking for the way to decrease Bryston gain.
From other comments I've seen some other amps often implement attenuation select for balanced input. Apparently briston do need it as well to be more friendly and universal.
Any help how to decrease Bryston gain is vert welcome. I have 2 Bryston amps, and want to modify one to be less powerful! please help.

.. and considering i have this non linearity strongly in low spectrum. It like bass depression. This seem like sort of overload at some stage.

UPDATE
Get reply form Bryston about eventual mod.
The mod can reduces overall gain by around 12db in both modes (High and Low), leaving around 2 db and 8 db of gain.
For details you need to contact Bryston support directly.

XLR in line attenuators -10dB arrived.. balanced output improved a bit, but still single ended output is much better when yggdrassil connected to Bryston via balanced XLR.

Okay. If BHA-1 has no problems with overload which can manifest itself as distortion with other DACs in your collection, then all should be well with it. Your Schiit DAC is likely the problem then. Either due to non-standard pin arrangement on it's XLR connectors or due to a failure or manufacturing fault in it's circuit. How does your Iggy work with other equipment through it's balanced output? Also, be sure to test your cables with other equipment and make sure they do not cause any issues.

jcn3

« Reply #1202 on: 3 May 2019, 02:43 am »
I brought home a BHA-1 to try out today.  I also have a Yggy and i didn't hsve any problems connecting it with the BHA-1 -- it sounded great.  Like others,  the issue i ran into was the gain as a preamp - could barely move the volume control before exceeding my normal listening levels.

Will be investigating the lower gain option!

jcn3

« Reply #1203 on: 3 Jun 2019, 04:31 pm »
I brought home a BHA-1 to try out today.  I also have a Yggy and i didn't hsve any problems connecting it with the BHA-1 -- it sounded great.  Like others,  the issue i ran into was the gain as a preamp - could barely move the volume control before exceeding my normal listening levels.

Will be investigating the lower gain option!

got my black, low-gain bha-1 a couple of weeks ago.  it's wonderful -- my system has never sounded better.

with the low gain option and the gain switch on high, everything works great.  as a pre-amp, the comfortable volume range is now 9-11 o'clock.  as a headphone amp with hd600s, comfortable volume range is now around 10-11.

highly recommend this option for those exploring the bha-1 as a pre-amp.

hawkeye99

« Reply #1204 on: 5 Jun 2019, 11:30 pm »
got my black, low-gain bha-1 a couple of weeks ago.  it's wonderful -- my system has never sounded better.

with the low gain option and the gain switch on high, everything works great.  as a pre-amp, the comfortable volume range is now 9-11 o'clock.  as a headphone amp with hd600s, comfortable volume range is now around 10-11.

highly recommend this option for those exploring the bha-1 as a pre-amp.

It almost seems like this should be a built in option.

R. Daneel

« Reply #1205 on: 15 Jun 2019, 09:42 am »
Hi!

Can you choose a custom value of gain and are the low and high gain settings independent of  dependent of each other?

Cheers!
Antun

ngamountains

« Reply #1206 on: 29 Jun 2019, 04:12 pm »
I'm unaffiliated but a happy owner, and thought I'd link what looks like a nice deal that showed up this morning on Audiogon, for anyone out there considering a purchase.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis9fb84-bryston-bha-1-solid-state

jcn3

« Reply #1207 on: 12 Jul 2019, 07:51 pm »
Hi!

Can you choose a custom value of gain and are the low and high gain settings independent of  dependent of each other?

Cheers!
Antun

no -- you can order a low gain version (no option on the amount of gain) which is applied universally, lowering the gain on both switch positions

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1208 on: 20 Jul 2019, 12:05 am »
MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Bryston BHA-1 Headphone Amp Review

July, 2019

Hi Folks

Please see below a very detailed review of the Bryston BHA-1 Headphone amplifier compared to a variety of other excellent headphone amplifiers.

http://www.headphoneer.com/bryston-bha-1-review/

R. Daneel

« Reply #1209 on: 20 Jul 2019, 03:14 pm »
no -- you can order a low gain version (no option on the amount of gain) which is applied universally, lowering the gain on both switch positions

Yes, well, then that option is somewhat limited for my selection of headphones.

What is the gain on the "low gain" model?

Cheers!
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1210 on: 5 Jan 2020, 02:57 pm »

MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Bryston BHA-1 Headphone Amp Review

January 2010

Hi Folks,

Ok so I got my Bryston BHA-1Fheadphone amplifier.

OK so what it does it sound like?

Without a lot of talk on base, mids and uppers. This biggest impression is the sound stage is huge.

My source is an Astell&Kern SP 2000 Copper. Headphones are HD800s

1st test was the AK powering the 800s directly via black dragon cables. The cables use the 2.5 balanced connection on the AK. They are 48” cables. Sound is great and impressive. No issues here.

2nd test the BHA-1F entered the pictured. I connected the AK to the BHA via an Astell&Kern PEF21 cable. This is a balanced connection at the AK and terminates in XLR’s to the Bryston. The factory single ended cable was used to connect the HD800s to the Bryston. AK was put in line out mode leaving the Bryston to manage the volume.

Using the same source track the sound difference is significant. With test 1 the music was coming from the headphones, its good don’t get me wrong, but in test 2 the sound felt like it was coming from some magical spot that existed 8 inches outside of the head phones and all around my head. 30 seconds of listening and yes done. She is a keeper. That’s all you need for demo time with this unit. Less than a minute.

I have since added Dual 3pin silver dragons for the HD800S (these add another 2 inches to the 8 inch sound stage described above) and a very expensive focal headphone stand. The stand is totally gorgeous and matches my setup.

M Thaynes

Dloines

« Reply #1211 on: 18 Jan 2020, 07:23 pm »
Anyone listen to the LCD-2C out of the BHA-1?

I started with the LCD-2 then moved to the LCD-x and now I have the LCD-4.  I used my BHA-1 with each set and they all sounded really great (I have a BDA-2, and Bryston CD player too), LCD-4s are really amazing but need lots of power and the BHA-1 delivers, the LCD-4s require the volume knob to be around 12-1 position.

surdy

« Reply #1212 on: 31 Jan 2020, 08:09 pm »
Can you use an attentuator to being down the gain without affecting the sound quality in the BPA?

dmdm

« Reply #1213 on: 19 Jun 2020, 10:37 am »
Hi Guys,

I have just got the Abyss AB-1266's in here which are the first pair of headphones that I have experienced with single balanced left + right inputs, needless to say the first thing I did was plug them into the BHA-1, yet again the BHA-1 delivered, I have tried them on a couple of other amps but at the moment the Abyss + BHA-1 is a winning combo and pretty much the best headphone rig I have ever heard :thumb:

Hi all, I have just ordered the Abyss 1266 TC cans to go with my LCD 4s and Meze Empys, and of course I will be running the Abyss through the bha1. I quoted this poster as the bha1 has the ability to drive the Abyss which I'm assuming? It's my end game headphone amp so I dont want to have to be buying another amp for these things. Thanks

gberger

• Check 6
« Reply #1214 on: 19 Jun 2020, 01:17 pm »
I live in an interior town home, so after about 9:00 pm, if I want to listen to music, quality headphones are the answer.

I was getting so-so results from plugging into the preamp, so I bought the BHA-1. Problem Solved!!

IMO, the BHA-p1 is a headphone-listener's dream. More than enough power to drive any set of cans (other than the electromagnetic) provides for both unbalances and XLR-type outlets.

Currently using  Sennheiser HD 660S cans, but plan to "trade up."

yyz

« Reply #1215 on: 22 Jun 2020, 07:38 am »
I am likely going to buy a Bryston BHA-1 tomorrow from Canada. This will be for a bedroom that has no equipment yet. I will need a DAC and I have a streamer. I was wondering if the BHA-1 can drive an amp such as the Bryston 3B-SST3? I am thinking of putting my KEF LS50's in this room too. Though I would need some sort of preamp or DAC with volume to drive the amp. I am hoping the BHA-1 can do the same to negate the need for a preamp. I am only going to be doing digital streaming on this system.

BTW - just an FYI to Bryston personal, the new web site is not working properly to find anything related to the BHA-1. I had to go to the old web site url.

https://bryston.com/specialty/ (this one is not good)

http://old.bryston.com/products/power_amps/BHA-1.html  (this one works to find the manual)

yyz

« Reply #1216 on: 22 Jun 2020, 08:27 am »
I spent a little bit of time reading this thread.

So what I see is the following:

1) Newer units have XLR output (the one I am looking at is 3 years old)
2) The BHA-1 can be used as a preamp. However, #3
3) This was a quote on this thread. "For power amp. The gain is so high with an all balanced connection the volume control barely gets past 8-9 o'clock before the volume is too much."
    - The resister mod to reduce the gain by 12 db is recommended to get greater range of volume. Cost is $85 to send to Bryston factory in Peterborough.

If this is all correct?

Mr James Tanner,
Would I be able to have this mod done and then have the unit shipped to my home in the USA? I am getting my sister in Toronto to buy the used unit from Canada.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1217 on: 22 Jun 2020, 09:44 am »
I spent a little bit of time reading this thread.

So what I see is the following:

1) Newer units have XLR output (the one I am looking at is 3 years old)
2) The BHA-1 can be used as a preamp. However, #3
3) This was a quote on this thread. "For power amp. The gain is so high with an all balanced connection the volume control barely gets past 8-9 o'clock before the volume is too much."
    - The resister mod to reduce the gain by 12 db is recommended to get greater range of volume. Cost is $85 to send to Bryston factory in Peterborough.

If this is all correct?

Mr James Tanner,
Would I be able to have this mod done and then have the unit shipped to my home in the USA? I am getting my sister in Toronto to buy the used unit from Canada.

HI,

Yes we can do the mod here for you but unless you are running a balanced system or sensitive headphones it may not be necessary.

james

yyz

« Reply #1218 on: 22 Jun 2020, 03:35 pm »
Hi James,

A long time Bryston owner here getting back into Bryston gear.

My system will be a full Brsyton system, DAC and amp (not sure which), nothing else. The headphones are the Meze Empy.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1219 on: 22 Jun 2020, 05:06 pm »
Hi James,

A long time Bryston owner here getting back into Bryston gear.

My system will be a full Brsyton system, DAC and amp (not sure which), nothing else. The headphones are the Meze Empy.

HI

So are they a single ended connection?

james