Cheap domestic source for 845Bs?

Gopher

Cheap domestic source for 845Bs?
« on: 1 Dec 2010, 02:59 am »
I'm having crap luck with tube amps lately.  Just bought a pair of 845 SET monoblocks and one 845B (red label) didn't make it.  While the shipper is dealing with the UPS claim, I'd like to get this thing up and running.  Can anyone point me to a cheap domestic source of the 845Bs? 

I've got some leads on tubes from China, but I'd kinda like to start listening sooner then later. 

Anyone with a solo extra they'll let go of?

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
Re: Cheap domestic source for 845Bs?
« Reply #1 on: 1 Dec 2010, 02:55 pm »
 None to my Knowledge. good luck.

charles

schw06

« Reply #2 on: 1 Dec 2010, 03:19 pm »
Where are you located? I have some extra 845 sets(A and C)
David

Gopher

« Reply #3 on: 1 Dec 2010, 03:58 pm »
David,

Thanks for your willingness to help out.  I'm on Long Island, NY.  Just bit the bullet last night and ordered a pair from China...   Hopefully this experience won't be anything like the Russian tubes I purchased that took 6 weeks to arrive.  If it turns into something silly time-wise I will drop you a pm.

Thanks!

Fred

Gopher

« Reply #4 on: 6 Dec 2010, 04:20 pm »
Well this wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.  The replacement 845Bs I bought shipped from China on FRIDAY and arrived today, MONDAY.  Unbelievable.

Unison845

« Reply #5 on: 7 Dec 2010, 04:05 am »
I bought a brand new pair of Shuguang 845B on Ebay, shipped from China. When I put in the amplifier and checked the bias, both worked fined and are matched. After about 12-15 hrs of playing time, I noticed on the amp meter that one of the tube, the bias dropped to about 60%. I wrote to the seller, after receiving my tube and checked out, he sent me a new one.

Gopher

« Reply #6 on: 7 Dec 2010, 04:08 am »
Thanks for sharing your experience, Unison.  I'll leave this sucker playing overnight to burn in and check the bias in the morning before work.