Universal Mac OSX USB driver for Dacs

s_chak

Universal Mac OSX USB driver for Dacs
« on: 22 Mar 2019, 10:15 am »
Greetings fellow audiocircle mac owning members.

Here's my problem, I have a Dac that was using an M2Tech driver written for Mac OS Yosemite. This driver was never updated. So I can't use my Dac with any of the newer versions of computer audio software such as Audioirvana+ or HQ player that need a later OS X operating system such as El Capitan or Sierra/ High Sierra to work.

Does any one know of a universal usb driver for the newer Mac OS's to recognize that a Dac is connected to the USB port. Or is there a way to connect an audio regenerator like Uptone Audio's Isoregen to my computer? This has some kind of hub function that allows the computer to recogize an attached Dac so there's no need to have a driver for the Dac.

Just wondering what other Mac users have done to get their Dac to play their computer audio files

JohnR

Re: Universal Mac OSX USB driver for Dacs
« Reply #1 on: 22 Mar 2019, 12:53 pm »
Hi, most DACs these days are class-compliant, so don't need a driver with Mac. What is the DAC you have?

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #2 on: 23 Mar 2019, 04:04 am »
Is it a DAC or the HiFace USB to SPDIF converter?

If the USB was properly implemented then one should not need any driver (built into the OS) to work.

dave

audioengr

« Reply #3 on: 23 Mar 2019, 04:49 pm »
Greetings fellow audiocircle mac owning members.

Here's my problem, I have a Dac that was using an M2Tech driver written for Mac OS Yosemite. This driver was never updated. So I can't use my Dac with any of the newer versions of computer audio software such as Audioirvana+ or HQ player that need a later OS X operating system such as El Capitan or Sierra/ High Sierra to work.

Does any one know of a universal usb driver for the newer Mac OS's to recognize that a Dac is connected to the USB port. Or is there a way to connect an audio regenerator like Uptone Audio's Isoregen to my computer? This has some kind of hub function that allows the computer to recogize an attached Dac so there's no need to have a driver for the Dac.

I think you are out of luck.  I used M2Tech firmware for my Off-Ramp 5 USB converter and now it only works with latest OS Mavericks and you have to jump through some hoops to get that to work.  M2Tech left us high and dry I'm afraid.  I have literally bugged them for years.

Now I have an XMOS based Off-Ramp 6 and this solves it.

Another option for you is to get a Linux based server.  This will work with hiface type hardware.