Spatial M4

mick wolfe

Re: Spatial M4
« Reply #60 on: 27 Jan 2016, 06:02 pm »
Mick!  Great minds think alike!

Thanks Ben. Despite being great minds that think alike, I think we still retain the ability to become totally confused at times.

genjamon

« Reply #61 on: 27 Jan 2016, 06:08 pm »
Thanks Ben. Despite being great minds that think alike, I think we still retain the ability to become totally confused at times.

It's true.  I'm just glad my confusion is keeping pace with yours.

mick wolfe

« Reply #62 on: 27 Jan 2016, 06:13 pm »
Rebbi.....your room size is spot on for the M4's to my way of thinking and 30" of breathing room to the front wall should be quite acceptable. A full 3' might be even better. I actually only have 28". I definitely enjoy having a powered sub in the mix though. You may have that covered already.
In regard to the Ohms in the small room. Room size allows the use of a 22 watt 845 based SET and therein lies a great deal of the magic. Have never heard a presentation in this room more ambient and real.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #63 on: 27 Jan 2016, 07:45 pm »
Here's a pic of the red M4 on static display from last years RMAF.

Man those are tiny. Any height in the sound stage ?

charles

rebbi

« Reply #64 on: 27 Jan 2016, 08:25 pm »

Man those are tiny. Any height in the sound stage ?

charles

Yes, height is excellent.

md92468

« Reply #65 on: 27 Jan 2016, 09:30 pm »
Yes, height is excellent.

Agree with Rebbi here....

rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #66 on: 27 Jan 2016, 09:42 pm »
Thanks guys.  Trust your answer.

charles

rebbi

« Reply #67 on: 27 Jan 2016, 09:43 pm »
Agree with Rebbi here....

I'll give you just one example of height. On the XTC album, "Skylarking," produced by Todd Rundgren, there are lots of manipulated phase effects to create all kinds of spatial perceptions. On the opening track, Summer's Cauldron, there is the sound of a synthesized, chirping bird at regular intervals. This chirping bird, in my room, is "located" about 5 feet above the speakers, at the intersection of the front wall and the ceiling!

Similarly, on any number of my favorite orchestral CDs, the height of the orchestra and the sense of the recording venue are excellent. Your mileage may vary, of course, but that's what I'm finding.

rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #68 on: 27 Jan 2016, 09:46 pm »
  Thanks Rebbi no more interested for a second system. Useing Pipedreams [ Maggies before ] for main system that is why I asked about height. 
Scale is very important to me. Thanks again.

charles

Manolo

• Consulting Structural Engineer
Re: My M4's got new shoes
« Reply #69 on: 29 Jan 2016, 10:03 pm »
From the Oregon outfit that specializes on spikes. Threaded from top, easy to install raked them a little. I think bass is a little more controlled.

mick wolfe

« Reply #70 on: 29 Jan 2016, 11:52 pm »
From the Oregon outfit that specializes on spikes. Threaded from top, easy to install raked them a little. I think bass is a little more controlled.

Yep....same strategy with my M2 Turbos. Longer spikes plus ebony footers kick them approx. 15 degrees from perpendicular.

Manolo

Re: Spatial M4 spikes photo
« Reply #71 on: 30 Jan 2016, 05:34 pm »
Photo

rebbi

« Reply #72 on: 2 Feb 2016, 04:10 am »

Manolo,
Which Oregon outfit is that? Thanks!

md92468

« Reply #73 on: 2 Feb 2016, 04:14 am »
Manolo,
Which Oregon outfit is that? Thanks!

I think it's this place...
http://www.oregondv.com

but I'm not sure which models...Manolo, can you clarify which ones you use? Thanks!

Manolo

Re: Spatial M4 That's the one
« Reply #74 on: 2 Feb 2016, 01:47 pm »
That's the one. Go to Speaker Spikes then scroll down to Speaker Stand Spikes ---- $8.99 ea.

rebbi

« Reply #75 on: 6 Feb 2016, 11:01 pm »
Listening to "Chan Chan" from Buena Vista Social Club right now and the singers are in my guest room. Yikes.   :thumb:

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #76 on: 7 Feb 2016, 12:34 am »
I think it's this place...
http://www.oregondv.com

but I'm not sure which models...Manolo, can you clarify which ones you use? Thanks!

Life sure does toss wild boomerangs to this mere mortal audiophile. I normally live 35 miles away from Salem, but currently I'm in Taiwan over 5000 miles away. It took till now to learn of the existence of Brass and Granite Audio. I ask, why couldn't I have learned of it before flying out to Taiwan? Sheesh.  :scratch: Fortunately, I will be back in the area in 6 weeks, so there's still hope for me.

A big THANKS for mentioning it!  :thumb:

jimdgoulding

« Reply #77 on: 7 Feb 2016, 02:35 am »
Listening to "Chan Chan" from Buena Vista Social Club right now and the singers are in my guest room. Yikes.   :thumb:
I have that CD somewhere.  Must find it.  These speakers temp the heck outta me.  Think I'd have to raise them up some.  Have some stands custom made maybe. 

md92468

« Reply #78 on: 7 Apr 2016, 01:19 pm »
Resurrecting this thread to talk about an interesting experience I had last night with my M4 Turbos and a <$300 Fleawatt 3116 chip amp (mine is the "Corea" listed at the top of Fleawatt's blog)...the combination is amazing. If you're looking for an inexpensive "in" to hi-fidom, I can't imagine how you can do better for under 2.3K than this pairing...