2X12" bass cabinet for Ulysses

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
    • http://www.daedalusaudio.com
2X12" bass cabinet for Ulysses
« on: 28 Sep 2009, 03:56 pm »
this is about a new model which is a companion to the Ulysses speaker. I had hoped to have a prototype ready for the RMAF show but these things take time, eh?
anyhow the design is done and the build will start as soon as I return from Denver.

the system is a pair of cabinets with two 12" drivers in each as well as a passive crossover. the speakers are custom made, very fast and efficient, they should hand off seamlessly to our 8" drivers with no padding or loss of effeciency. the design goals are to extend the lows to 20hz and below, move more air for more life like sound/feel and take the low bass out of the Ulysses thereby further lowering any distortion.

the new cabinets will sit along side the Ulysses  and are 30" tall X 23" deep X 17" wide. they are sculpted in the style of the Ulysses with 1.5" thick solid hardwood sides (.75" maple inside)

the tentitive name is Ulysses BOW,  (bass Optimization W?)  any help with the acronym would be much appreciatted!

thanks,
Lou

david12

Re: 2X12" bass cabinet for Ulysses
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jul 2010, 05:07 pm »
Lou, not heard any more about these units. I wonder if you were thinking of anything similar for the Da-R Mas, or whether these units would match with the monitors too.
  I understand you are pretty neutral about using Subs and to be honest, the Monitors do seem to have a pretty impressive base. Just thinking in the long term, of adding a sub and one that matched with the speakers would be nice.
   David

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
    • http://www.daedalusaudio.com
« Reply #2 on: 14 Jul 2010, 05:29 pm »
Lou, not heard any more about these units. I wonder if you were thinking of anything similar for the Da-R Mas, or whether these units would match with the monitors too.
  I understand you are pretty neutral about using Subs and to be honest, the Monitors do seem to have a pretty impressive base. Just thinking in the long term, of adding a sub and one that matched with the speakers would be nice.
   David
hi David,
actually coming along with this project and it has evolved... the 2X12" sounds great both as a bi-amp and as a sub.  I'm now working on a 1X12" version (the 2X12" is huge!). they do extend the bass but that isn't the real point because as you noted these aren't exactly bass shy, what they really do well is get the tonality spot on. they are very fast and sensitive so they mate perfectly with my main speakers, and they move a lot of air. just very realistic. 
I'm putting this together with as much flexibility as possible. a person could use one as a sub or do stereo subs running the mains full range. could also do the bi-amp system, that has a passive 6db crossover (teflon cap) specifically built for your amp which plugs right into the power amp input so no extra cables are needed. Wayne @ Bolder is working with me on building an active crossover for the low section. btw for the bi-amp the handoff is about 55hz.
I'm pretty excited about these, coupled with the all-poly crossovers...

thanks,
lou

figcon

« Reply #3 on: 15 Jul 2010, 09:08 pm »
For those that have not heard Lou's speakers with the AP option, you should. The bass modules, of which I already have my order in, will enhance the system, in my case Ulysses, by lowering distortion, which is low to begin with, and enhancing the speakers ability to move air, just like real instruments.

In my opinion, the Ulysses speakers are already the best loudspeaker I've heard at any price and figure to get even better.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #4 on: 15 Jul 2010, 10:14 pm »
hi David,
I'm now working on a 1X12" version (the 2X12" is huge!).
thanks,
lou

I got to see the 2x12" when I was in Lou's shop about 3 weeks ago and "huge" is right. It was in a room with three sets of speakers (Ulysses and DA-1.1s) and the 2x12" drew my eye as soon as I walked into the room. Even though Lou had described the project to me on the phone and I was aware of the diminsions, I wasn't expecting the sub to be as big as it is. Seeing is believing and hearing is even better :thumb: