I think I just found my NEW Listening chair

Shakeydeal

Re: I think I just found my NEW Listening chair
« Reply #20 on: 7 Dec 2017, 05:36 pm »
I am in the middle now of combining my 2 channel system and HT system in a remodel.

That in itself will give you far more problems than any room anomalies. But that's a whole other thread........

Shakey

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #21 on: 7 Dec 2017, 06:29 pm »
UPDATE:

One downside/upside, is that the LoveSeat IS NOT plush and cushy comfortable.  This will likely keep me from falling asleep whilst listening, but may require some pillows for 2 hour films.

Definitely need pillows as love seat should be for loving, John.   :eyebrows:

As a person who has sat in your musical throne,  the "convertible" will be better for your decor! :lol:

JeffB

« Reply #22 on: 7 Dec 2017, 10:38 pm »
I want this chair, lol.
The Maxell chair.
http://bowilliams.com/2015/05/remember-blown-away-guy/

Kenneth Patchen

• Volunteer
  • Just like that bluebird
« Reply #23 on: 8 Dec 2017, 12:35 am »
I prefer a hard and slightly slanting back myself.

twitch54

« Reply #24 on: 8 Dec 2017, 01:44 am »
That in itself will give you far more problems than any room anomalies. But that's a whole other thread........

Shakey

hey Shakey, is that your C5 ZO6 in your avatar ?

Shakeydeal

« Reply #25 on: 8 Dec 2017, 12:00 pm »
hey Shakey, is that your C5 ZO6 in your avatar ?

Yes it is.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #26 on: 8 Dec 2017, 12:49 pm »
We all become conditioned to whatever environment we're in.  John, I believe you rather weirdly have conditioned yourself to listening in a confined/heavily padded space.  Floyd O'Toole, recognized as a modern acoustics guru, believes most of us in the western world are conditioned to typical residential spaces, so his domestic listening space is a fairly typical shared living room. 

I strongly believe that most audiophiles have invested far too much in equipment for the given rooms they use.  At least you've investigated the space itself.

John Casler

« Reply #27 on: 8 Dec 2017, 03:39 pm »
We all become conditioned to whatever environment we're in.  John, I believe you rather weirdly have conditioned yourself to listening in a confined/heavily padded space.  Floyd O'Toole, recognized as a modern acoustics guru, believes most of us in the western world are conditioned to typical residential spaces, so his domestic listening space is a fairly typical shared living room. 

I strongly believe that most audiophiles have invested far too much in equipment for the given rooms they use.  At least you've investigated the space itself.

Hi JLM,

Yes, but it is not so much that I have conditioned myself to the reduced room sound, but that I sought it out.

I have heard and employed virtually EVERY incarnation of listening spaces over the last 45 years of serious, high performance listening.

Between setting up hundreds of systems, setting up live v/VMPS rooms, setting up recording studios, and having the liberty to experiment freely in my own environment, I have possibly a unique set of experiences and understandings to the psychoacoustical environments.

While I agree, that MOST "do" condition themselves to a room "tuned" to a pleasant sound (as they generally have no choice), I was able to pursue a more pure sonic environment, so I didn't have as much ROOM Distortions (any sound added by the room) and was able to more clearly hear the actual recorded environment much more clearly.

It was a search for the Absolute Sound, by subtracting/reducing the distortions from the space and hearing basically the DIRECT sound from the speakers.

Now, that is not to say that basically ANY set up can't be VERY enjoyable and rewarding (I posted above about how pleasing the LE/DE sonic was, and how much I enjoy it), but mine was just one of many acoustical goals to pursue.

I love High End Audio and the various pursuits to enjoy it.   :thumb:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #28 on: 8 Dec 2017, 05:20 pm »
I strongly believe that most audiophiles have invested far too much in equipment for the given rooms they use.

And to top it off, they hardly bother to put any effort into the setup. :duh:

John Casler

« Reply #29 on: 13 Feb 2018, 08:43 pm »
UPDATE:

Well the experiment was SUCCESSFUL, but the long term goal not so much.

That is, the "convertible" function of the Love Seat with appropriate DAMPING worked flawlessly, the COMFORT was so DISMAL that it is not a viable option.   :duh:

So the search continues.

Hipper

« Reply #30 on: 26 Aug 2018, 07:40 am »
That's a shame. Worth a try though. I assume there is no way to make that chair comfortable with re-upholstering or similar?

Did you try your plan B?

John Casler

« Reply #31 on: 26 Aug 2018, 06:10 pm »
Yeah Sonically it did the job, but not worth the time trouble to try and reupholster.