STM or ILM

Flyin_V

STM or ILM
« on: 16 May 2018, 07:07 pm »

I'm on the fence about ordering a STM or ILM. I've heard the STM and there is alot to like about it. Does the ILM have a familial sound similar to the STM? I don't need the switching and VC of the STM and don't need much power so either would work. I'd think the ILM would sound a bit better due to a cleaner signal path.

Thanks.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
Re: STM or ILM
« Reply #1 on: 17 May 2018, 05:29 am »
I'm on the fence about ordering a STM or ILM. I've heard the STM and there is alot to like about it. Does the ILM have a familial sound similar to the STM? I don't need the switching and VC of the STM and don't need much power so either would work. I'd think the ILM would sound a bit better due to a cleaner signal path.

Thanks.
The STM and ILM use the same amplifier circuitry, just in a slightly different physical form, namely two channels on one board and a preamp section with the STM.  The ILM is a true monoblock, so channel separation is "perfect", and since the two channels don't share a power supply, more power (up to double) is available.  Plus, the ILM can be "hung" from the speaker or placed very close to the speaker to all but eliminate speaker wire.

If you need the volume control and input select, go with the STM.  Otherwise, ILM.  Thanks for your question.

-Tommy O

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
Re: STM or ILM
« Reply #2 on: 14 Jan 2019, 04:12 pm »