Small monitors - big performance

ratso

Re: Small monitors - big performance
« Reply #20 on: 17 Nov 2011, 05:51 pm »
Jim, i didnt know you do these type of custom design

i don't think any of us have ever heard Jim say no to anything - if it can be built he will do it if you want it. but he is also good at suggesting modifications/alternatives that will work better for you if you come up with something crazy. give him a call you won't regret it  :thumb:

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #21 on: 17 Nov 2011, 05:56 pm »
That's for Dennis or Jim.  I would say the Fountek is close but not quite a smooth.  But if you are trying to get the price lower it sounds like a decent option.

I've used the Fountek in quite a few designs.  I would say its performance is midway between a good dome and the RAAL.  It can be crossed fairly low and has an open, clean sound.  Just not as open as the RAAL.  But without the RAAL for direct comparison, I think anyone would be very pleased with the Fountek.  Excellent value as well. 

Art_Chicago

« Reply #22 on: 17 Nov 2011, 07:19 pm »
Dennis and/or Jim,
Can you describe the difference among the woofers used by SalkSound: Excel vs. Illuminator vs. Accuton?
Thank you.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #23 on: 18 Nov 2011, 04:53 am »
Dennis and/or Jim,
Can you describe the difference among the woofers used by SalkSound: Excel vs. Illuminator vs. Accuton?
Thank you.
Hmmmmm.   Well, the illuminator is kind of an odd duck.  It's waaaaaaaaaay expensive, and an awful lot of that is due to the beautiful machining that minimizes obstructions to the back flow.  You never see that, of course, so it comes down to a question of whether you can hear any advantage to the elegant construction.  It seemed like an obvious candidate for the open-back SoundScape cabinets.   We gave it a try, but it just didn't have enough sensitivity.  It would have been swamped by the woofer.  The Accuton 3" midrange that we ended up with has extrmely low distortion and excellent dispersion.  We tried an Accuton 7" woofer in an MT monitor, but the first unit shattered when pushed, and the second did the same thing.  Can you say bye bye to $600?

The Excel really doesn't have any deficiencies once the breakup mode is suppressed.  It's not a "warm" driver,  but it is clean as a whistle and easy to work with.  It's probably my favorite, followed by the Scan Revelator series in the 5"-7" size category. 

Art_Chicago

« Reply #24 on: 18 Nov 2011, 05:28 am »
Thank you, sir.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #25 on: 21 Nov 2011, 10:22 pm »
These sound very nice.  Jim fired them up at the shop today and the played very nicely.  Those 2 drivers together are pretty nifty.  Went pretty deep as well.  Full-bodied and imaging to die for.  Took 2 seconds and I was hooked.

Wayner

« Reply #26 on: 21 Nov 2011, 10:25 pm »
What physical size are they?

Wayner

Apparently, no one has a tape measure.

Art_Chicago

« Reply #27 on: 22 Nov 2011, 02:21 am »

Based on the 5" driver, I am guessing they are about 7" wide, 11-12" high and maybe 8" deep?

jsalk

« Reply #28 on: 23 Nov 2011, 07:09 pm »

I found my tape measure!  They are 14" tall, 8" wide and 10.5" deep.  Hopefully I won't lose that tape measure again.

- Jim

Wayner

« Reply #29 on: 23 Nov 2011, 07:26 pm »
Thank's Jim. Trying to decide if they would fit on my shelf. I know up against the wall is not a great place, but that's all I got.

Wayner

TomW16

« Reply #30 on: 29 Nov 2011, 04:54 pm »
Hey Wayner,

Since the Salk speakers are custom made, I bet you could sweet talk Dennis into adjusting the crossovers for the speakers to be placed up against the wall.

Kind regards,
Tom

Nuance

« Reply #31 on: 30 Nov 2011, 02:29 pm »
I've used the Fountek in quite a few designs.  I would say its performance is midway between a good dome and the RAAL.  It can be crossed fairly low and has an open, clean sound.  Just not as open as the RAAL.  But without the RAAL for direct comparison, I think anyone would be very pleased with the Fountek.  Excellent value as well. 

How does the Fountek compare to the LCY or G2?

Big Red Machine

« Reply #32 on: 30 Nov 2011, 02:49 pm »

How does the Fountek compare to the LCY or G2?

rlee8394

« Reply #33 on: 30 Nov 2011, 11:40 pm »
I absolutely love the Fountek tweeter in my custom Salk Song Tower Special Edition loudspeakers. Smooth, detailed, and they image like crazy. Soundstage seems to extend three of four feet past the cabinets!

See 'em here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=95642.0

Ron

Nuance

« Reply #34 on: 1 Dec 2011, 03:18 am »
I hear ya BRM, but I am looking for a direct comparo to the ones I mentioned.  Somewhere midway between isn't descriptive enough. :)