Line Force?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Line Force?
« Reply #140 on: 1 Feb 2023, 12:07 am »
Putting one driver directly in front of the other driver for anything other than bass is a really bad idea, on the face of it.  How is that not blindingly obvious to people?

Danny Richie

« Reply #141 on: 1 Feb 2023, 12:10 am »
This is what I read:

I haven't done a lot of placement tweaking yet, but one thing I am not completely satisfied with at this point is the sweet spot width. Compared to the NX-Oticas, the sweet spot seems to be considerably narrower. If I move more than a foot or so from center position, it sounds like I'm only hearing the closer speaker.”

Sounds like lobing issues to me.

Having designed both of those speakers I can tell you it is not a lobbing issue.

Danny Richie

« Reply #142 on: 1 Feb 2023, 12:14 am »
What’s wrong with measuring the polar response and sharing the results? It’s become industry standard to do that these days. Especially with expensive speakers. Sure I agree it’s possible to have a great polar response and still bad sound. But a great speaker, with great drivers, great crossover design and well constructed cabinets will only sound better all over the room if the polar response is stellar.

I don't have a problem with sharing the results.

In this case I didn't save them as I didn't offer these as a kit. I just looked at them and was very happy with them. Kept on going...

Danny Richie

« Reply #143 on: 1 Feb 2023, 12:15 am »
Danny,

I was under the impression that the response would be similar pretty much along the full length of the line array considering we are only getting the output equivalent to a single Neo10 and Neo3 at any position.

But then again I can’t imagine they are unlistenable when standing up either… and most likely Jaytor’s guests won’t even notice?

With any line source the sound is going to change as your ear nears either end of the line.

Low distortion

• Restricted
« Reply #144 on: 1 Feb 2023, 12:18 am »
Putting one driver directly in front of the other driver for anything other than bass is a really bad idea, on the face of it.  How is that not blindingly obvious to people?

Better give Igor a shout and tell him that.

https://radianaudio.com/collections/coaxial-ribbon/products/6crn38lt6-line-array-driver

Along with Alcons and many others.

Low distortion

• Restricted
« Reply #145 on: 1 Feb 2023, 12:19 am »
I don't have a problem with sharing the results.

In this case I didn't save them as I didn't offer these as a kit. I just looked at them and was very happy with them. Kept on going...

If you happen to tune up anymore line forces it would be cool to see the results.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #146 on: 1 Feb 2023, 12:23 am »
Better give Igor a shout and tell him that.

https://radianaudio.com/collections/coaxial-ribbon/products/6crn38lt6-line-array-driver

Along with Alcons and many others.

Just proves that even smart people can have dumb ideas.

Low distortion

• Restricted
« Reply #147 on: 1 Feb 2023, 12:25 am »
Just proves that even smart people can have dumb ideas.

Show me the flaws in this polar plot:

These guys have sold tens of millions of $ of these speakers. I guess being dumb pays off.

Danny Richie

« Reply #148 on: 1 Feb 2023, 12:37 am »
Show me the flaws in this polar plot:

These guys have sold tens of millions of $ of these speakers. I guess being dumb pays off.

That isn't a real measurement. That is an illustration.

Low distortion

• Restricted
« Reply #149 on: 1 Feb 2023, 12:39 am »
That isn't a real measurement. That is an illustration.

You can plot polars out that way with a Klippel.

Danny Richie

« Reply #150 on: 1 Feb 2023, 12:39 am »
FYI, Igor and Pablo (owner of the company that makes all of BG and Radian drivers) at my house.

After nearly an hour of listening Igor said that my system (with Line Forces) was the best sounding system that he has heard in 30 years of being in the industry.

Low distortion

• Restricted
« Reply #151 on: 1 Feb 2023, 12:41 am »
I actually have some of Igor’s round ribbon coaxials here and they’re killer!

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #152 on: 1 Feb 2023, 12:42 am »
The dispersion pattern narrows exponentially starting at ~300Hz, and by the time it reaches 1Hkz where it only has decent output to 20 degrees, by 30 degrees it drops by ~20dB
and if you move more that 5 degrees off axis it tanks in output above 4KHz.

A speaker with such a rapidly narrowing polar plot will have an incredibly small sweet spot. it has to be pointed directly at the listener. anyone else even 5 degrees off-axis loses 80% of the treble.

Danny Richie

« Reply #153 on: 1 Feb 2023, 12:44 am »
You can plot polars out that way with a Klippel.

If you want to really see what a speaker is doing off axis then look at an actual on axis response measure. Then move off axis and take another one. Overlay the lines and repeat...

Danny Richie

« Reply #154 on: 1 Feb 2023, 12:45 am »
I actually have some of Igor’s round ribbon coaxials here and they’re killer!

Yes, Igor and I have talked about those.

For an open baffle application try taking the backs off of them and they will really open up.

Low distortion

• Restricted
« Reply #155 on: 1 Feb 2023, 12:45 am »
If you want to really see what a speaker is doing off axis then look at an actual on axis response measure. Then move off axis and take another one. Overlay the lines and repeat...

Yeah but to quickly demonstrate the performance to potential buyers the polar plot works good. There’s a reason it exists.

Danny Richie

« Reply #156 on: 1 Feb 2023, 12:46 am »
The only thing I don't like about those drivers is that the time arrival of the tweeter is so far behind the woofer.

Low distortion

• Restricted
« Reply #157 on: 1 Feb 2023, 12:47 am »
Yes, Igor and I have talked about those.

For an open baffle application try taking the backs off of them and they will really open up.

One of them arrived damaged with the binding posts broken off the tweeter. So I plan on using a pair as midwoofers in a 2 way. But the tweeters are very good. And can play very loud with no fatigue. 

Danny Richie

« Reply #158 on: 1 Feb 2023, 12:48 am »
Yeah but to quickly demonstrate the performance to potential buyers the polar plot works good. There’s a reason it exists.

Potential buyers can't make heads of tails out of those colored illustrations. They aren't even useful to me. They don't tell me specifically what they are doing at a given off axis position and frequency.

Low distortion

• Restricted
« Reply #159 on: 1 Feb 2023, 12:48 am »
The only thing I don't like about those drivers is that the time arrival of the tweeter is so far behind the woofer.

That can easily be solved with SOTA DSP.