Line Force?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
Re: Line Force?
« Reply #60 on: 2 Nov 2022, 02:52 am »
Each of those caps is easily 2x the size of the ones in my NX-Studios, and in total they weigh 8lbs each. So I completely believe that yours weigh 22lbs a piece.

That said, knowing how good my Miflex crossovers sound, I'm really excited to hear your thoughts once they're finally up and playing and you have some time on them.

VinceT

« Reply #61 on: 2 Nov 2022, 03:32 pm »
We all know Jaytor carried that crossover to the bathroom scale to weight that thing!...lol

Jaytor

« Reply #62 on: 2 Nov 2022, 03:55 pm »
We all know Jaytor carried that crossover to the bathroom scale to weight that thing!...lol

Hah…close. Brought the bathroom scale to the crossover.   :lol:

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #63 on: 2 Nov 2022, 05:56 pm »

That's exactly what I did with mine :p

Jaytor

« Reply #64 on: 6 Nov 2022, 07:04 pm »
Making progress. The left speaker is done and has been playing for a couple of days.

I made the mistake of cutting and bending the wires the connect the NEO3s without realizing that the right channel wiring will be reversed. I don't want to unbend the wires and rebend them in the new position, since I paid for "continuous crystal" copper wire and bending the wire once is bad enough. So I am about 3ft short on the 18ga wire for the NEO3s for the second speaker. I've got more wire on order from SonicCraft which should arrive on Tuesday. Everything else is done and ready to go on the right channel speaker.

I haven't made any attempt to set up the speakers and subs, and, of course, they have hardly any break-in, but the sound from the first speaker is VERY promising. Incredibly clear with nice tonal balance. I'm looking forward to hearing what the stereo pain will do.

These big caps are going to take a few hundred hours to fully break in, but I'm amazed how good they sound fresh. I have heard that the sound gets worse before it gets better though - we shall see.

mkrawcz

« Reply #65 on: 6 Nov 2022, 08:06 pm »
Holy hell that crossover! I don’t think that speaker will sound bad ever.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #66 on: 6 Nov 2022, 08:16 pm »
Damn, I thought my Super 7 crossover was over the top.  I officially have capacitor envy.

Jaytor

« Reply #67 on: 6 Nov 2022, 08:35 pm »
Damn, I thought my Super 7 crossover was over the top.  I officially have capacitor envy.

I got a good deal on the Miflex KPCU-2s, but I think in hind-sight that I would have been better off with the 250V KPCU-3 caps which are a fair amount smaller. I've heard that the larger caps can sound a bit better, but it certainly would have been easier to build the crossover with smaller caps.

emailtim

« Reply #68 on: 6 Nov 2022, 10:11 pm »
Couple of wiring questions. 

Solid or stranded ?

Spades or solder ?

TIA

Jaytor

« Reply #69 on: 6 Nov 2022, 10:22 pm »
Couple of wiring questions. 

Solid or stranded ?

Spades or solder ?

TIA

I used Neotech UP-OCC solid core copper in Teflon. 18ga for NEO3, 16ga for NEO10. Soldered to the drivers.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #70 on: 7 Nov 2022, 12:21 am »
Holy hell that crossover! I don’t think that speaker will sound bad ever.
When that speaker was being put together with alligator jumpers and Gen I Sonicaps, basic coils, and basic resistors, it was the best thing I'd ever heard... and not by a little.  Take that up another notch... well, it's just out of my class. 

Jaytor

« Reply #71 on: 7 Nov 2022, 01:23 am »
Well, I got impatient and decided to wire the last few NEO3s together with the extra 16ga wire I had left. But when I went to test the right speaker, I discovered two of the NEO3s were not working (open circuit). It could have been my fault - these drivers are very sensitive to overheating the terminals.

I ordered four more drivers so I could have a couple of spares. In the mean time, I've soldered a 4 ohm resistor across each of the two bad drivers so that the rest of the drivers in the group would operate correctly. So I at least I have tunes and can start the excruciatingly long burn-in process.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #72 on: 7 Nov 2022, 01:44 am »
First off, that's a freaking beautiful setup. 

Second, you have 1 hour of burn in down, only 499 more to go! 

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #73 on: 7 Nov 2022, 01:48 am »
Knowing how good my NX Studios sound with the Miflex cap in the tweeter circuit, using such a massive, I can only imagine how good those will sound as you continue to put time on them.

Looking forward to hearing more in the coming weeks!

Early B.

« Reply #74 on: 7 Nov 2022, 02:01 am »
First off, that's a freaking beautiful setup. 

Yeah, that's magazine cover quality right there.

Just curious -- is it better to place the subs inside or outside the speakers? Or does it matter?

emailtim

« Reply #75 on: 7 Nov 2022, 04:01 am »
Those look great including the venue.  Congrats. 

Jaytor

« Reply #76 on: 7 Nov 2022, 04:22 am »
Thanks for all the nice comments.

Just curious -- is it better to place the subs inside or outside the speakers? Or does it matter?

I found either worked ok with my NX-Oticas. Inside the speakers excited the room modes slightly less, but I preferred the more open look between the speakers. But since the Line Forces require the subs to play quite a bit higher (up to about 180hz), I figured it would be better to get them further from the side walls.

emailtim

« Reply #77 on: 7 Nov 2022, 05:17 am »
... the Line Forces require the subs to play quite a bit higher (up to about 180hz), I figured it would be better to get them further from the side walls.

It also gets the Sub/Neo driver center-2-centers closer for better off axis XO region response.

Jaytor

« Reply #78 on: 7 Nov 2022, 05:20 am »
It also gets the sub/bass driver center-2-centers closer for better off axis XO region response.
Good point.

david45

« Reply #79 on: 7 Nov 2022, 04:26 pm »
Gorgeous looking speakers, Jay! Congrats! You really went full out as far as crossover components are concerned :thumb:

Mine are the same color but with matching bases and crossover boards. They are shipping today so Danny should normally get them relatively soon.

Cheers,

David