Interconnects from turntable to phono pre

bbybaudio

Interconnects from turntable to phono pre
« on: 12 Jul 2021, 12:40 pm »
Hello, I recently switched from Soundsmith Zephyr to low output Zephyr MIMC* cartridge and reset my Manley Chinook accordingly. Now I have a hum, and when I turn the motor off on VPI Prime a distinct "pop" through speakers. Contacted Manley who suggested to move Chinook further away from TT or to change out the interconnects. I purchased some inexpensive interconnects and that did eliminate the hum and "pop." Wondering what others use for interconnects between TT and phono pre? Thanks.

toocool4

Re: Interconnects from turntable to phono pre
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jul 2021, 02:10 pm »
Furutech AG-12, not an arm and leg price.

audio.bill

« Reply #2 on: 12 Jul 2021, 02:16 pm »
Interconnects carrying such a low level signal as that from a low output cartridge makes them very susceptible to picking up any induced noise, so the key is to get a well shielded cable design. There are of course many levels of quality to choose from, I'd suggest getting the best quality shielded interconnects within your budget (and within reason) and it should prove worthwhile.

jmolsberg

« Reply #3 on: 12 Jul 2021, 02:27 pm »
Hapa Audio for my interconnects. Excellent between tt and phono pre

dpatters

« Reply #4 on: 12 Jul 2021, 02:32 pm »
Triode Wire Labs Phono ICs.

Don P.

bbybaudio

« Reply #5 on: 12 Jul 2021, 03:08 pm »
I thank all of you for your suggestions. I figured I would get everyone's fave cables. The inexpensive cables that solved the issue were Soniquil cables from Raven Audio. Solved the problem and sound very good considering price, but not at level of my anticables  6.2s, that unfortunately have the hum issue.

bbybaudio

« Reply #6 on: 13 Jul 2021, 03:53 pm »
Jmoisberg, if you don't mine, what is your system? Mine is VPI Prime to Manley Chinook, into Primaluna Dialogue HP Integrated produced after the cap changeover into Spatial Audio X5s. All Anticables other than phono cable. I have a Don Sachs Valhalla Integrated on order.

dpatters

« Reply #7 on: 13 Jul 2021, 03:56 pm »
Just click on his systems link 😎

/mp

« Reply #8 on: 13 Jul 2021, 04:11 pm »
There's no substitute for first hand experience.  Some dealers, The Cable Company www.thecableco.com comes to mind, have lending libraries. Try several. Determine for yourself which best suits your needs, taste & budget. Kindly share your findings.

Hope this helps,

shakey

« Reply #9 on: 13 Jul 2021, 09:27 pm »
Triode Wire Labs. Dead quiet and more musical than the silver cable they replaced which were twice the cost.

bbybaudio

« Reply #10 on: 13 Jul 2021, 10:06 pm »
Thanks MP. I have narrowed it down to Hapa QC or Triode Wire labs. Pretty big price difference. Good to hear from you Shakey!

navi

« Reply #11 on: 14 Jul 2021, 12:34 am »
I thank all of you for your suggestions. I figured I would get everyone's fave cables. The inexpensive cables that solved the issue were Soniquil cables from Raven Audio. Solved the problem and sound very good considering price, but not at level of my anticables  6.2s, that unfortunately have the hum issue.

The Anti Cable is a unshielded cable. Just get a Shielded cable like what you are using or even something as simple as a low capacitance coaxial cable and would be fine. Van damme microphone cable is VERY good.

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #12 on: 14 Jul 2021, 04:11 am »
I would like to also strongly recommend the Hapa cables. Absolutely fantastic product with noticable improvement even with a budget system like mine. The Quiescence series have great shielding with still maintaining a super transparent sound. I'm running the Quiescence Copper from table to phono, and Breathe Copper from phono to receiver and both with the KLE absolute connectors. They are miles ahead of the old Blue Jeans cables I had before. Total splurge on those and far above what the rest of my system warrants, but that cable alone was a better improvement than a most any other change on my setup. If you do go that route on cables, just remember they take quite a while to burn in so plug them into something else for a week to get some run in time. Good things are worth the wait.

bbybaudio

« Reply #13 on: 14 Jul 2021, 01:13 pm »
Thanks Navi and Nlitworld. I read that the Hapa cables come burned in for 100 hrs and require another 150-200 to get to their best sound. They are very pricey, more so than the anticables 6.2s which come standard with the Klei absolute Harmony connectors. But as noted, cannot use the anticables with low output cartridge.

trackball02

« Reply #14 on: 6 Sep 2021, 09:48 pm »
I highly recommend KAB Cardas "Spiral Air" all Litz coax. In my system, very quiet and excellent sounding, plus the price is reasonable even with the copper connectors.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #15 on: 6 Sep 2021, 09:58 pm »
TWL and Audio Sensibility are better than the lower cost cables I have and still under $350 used. 

Crang

« Reply #16 on: 4 Feb 2022, 04:36 pm »
Audio Sensibility Impact SE. They dont break the bank and made a very audible improvement in my setup.

twitch54

« Reply #17 on: 4 Feb 2022, 05:20 pm »

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum

twitch54

« Reply #19 on: 4 Feb 2022, 08:52 pm »
made a very audible improvement in my setup.

let us know what you were using prior so as to avoid using them  !