Keep My RM-5 or Buy an RM4/RM4+ Two Box MC Phono System?

mrdrumbeat

I have recently upgraded  (by Roger in February) my RM5 MK II Pre-amp.
Now I have an interest to use low mV (0.2mV and up)  MC cartridges.

Please let me know your opinion if I should just buy an RM 4 Head Amp or should I sell the RM5 and buy the RM 4/RM 4+ Two Box M/C phono system?

I will be running this through a VPI Super Scoutmaster TT.

Thanks for your thoughts,
Mike

rbwalt

Re: Keep My RM-5 or Buy an RM4/RM4+ Two Box MC Phono System?
« Reply #1 on: 7 Oct 2013, 08:08 pm »
keep the RM5Mkll as it has a line stage if needed. do not think the RM4 has one. also the RM5 is a classic. i had one and had not a hint of trouble with it. as long as you have enough gain than it should be fine.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #2 on: 7 Oct 2013, 08:53 pm »
keep the RM5Mkll as it has a line stage if needed. do not think the RM4 has one. also the RM5 is a classic. i had one and had not a hint of trouble with it. as long as you have enough gain than it should be fine.

+1 here.

mrdrumbeat

« Reply #3 on: 7 Oct 2013, 08:57 pm »
Cool! I didn't realize the line stage piece.  I still play cassettes and CD's so thank you for that bit of advice.

Next question, being that getting the RM4 is the way to go I have a few concerns.

My components will be placed in between my speakers.  When using the RM5 w/ the RM4 Head amp how would you suggest to set up the line w/ the Turntable?  Please include the sequence of the components.

A. The RM5 the RM4 and the Turntable can all be on the same counter. 
or
B. The RM5 and RM4 can be on two separate counters  (the TT on the lower counter and the RM5/RM4 on the upper)
or
C. The RM5 can be on the raised counter and the RM4 and TT can be on the lower Counter.
or
D. The RM 5 and the TT can be on the lower counter and the RM4 can be on the raised counter.

Lastly my amp will be on the upper counter for now (I have about 4ft of width to play with and presently I am using an upgraded but unmodified Dynaco 70).

I have 8ft of upper counter space to play with and 4ft of lower counter space to play with and the TT has to be on the lower counter because of depth constraints.

What ever you can suggest will be appreciated!

Thanks greatly,
Mike