Ghost Recon Island Thunder

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« on: 10 Nov 2003, 03:51 pm »
I finally got  this game last Friday and finally got to play for a couple hours Sunday night.

It reminds me of Battlefield 1942 or whatever it was I saw on a guys laptop. Do the same people do the graphics engine?

mcrespo71

« Reply #1 on: 10 Nov 2003, 07:20 pm »
Let's play..... I have it as well!!!!  You enjoying the online aspect?

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 10 Nov 2003, 09:52 pm »
Yeah I got it because you said it was so good online!

Haven't gotten online yet...I am trying to figure out a few things. Like how does a man in your patrol kill someone and you don't hear the shots? I guess you need to stick close. I am still going on the second campaign. Maybe I should just jump in?

mcrespo71

« Reply #3 on: 10 Nov 2003, 10:46 pm »
I played about two campaigns and then jumped into online action.  The AI soldiers suck in comparison to human soldiers, so you can jump online in a cooperative game and still do just fine.

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 11 Nov 2003, 01:11 am »
OK I will try to get online tonight. I have to get my center channel connected and the digital audio connected for XBox also (new pre/pro and center channel).

When will you be playing?

mcrespo71

« Reply #5 on: 11 Nov 2003, 02:30 am »
I plan to go on after Joe Millionairre.  10 PM EST.  My screen name is blur rocks.  What is yours?

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 11 Nov 2003, 03:05 am »
I think it is jqp, but I will haver to check - it has been a couple of months since I have been on live. Look for "jqp-something"

I can't get Dolby Digital (5.1) to come on for my Outlaw 950 with Ghost Recon. Do you use Dolby Digital?

mcrespo71

« Reply #7 on: 11 Nov 2003, 03:18 am »
No, I use my TV- my Xbox is underutilized for surround.  I'll go online now, OK.  Look for Blur Rocks.

bubba966

« Reply #8 on: 11 Nov 2003, 03:19 am »
Quote from: jqp
I can't get Dolby Digital (5.1) to come on for my Outlaw 950 with Ghost Recon.

If you just hooked up the optical out on your 'box, did you adjust the audio settings in the setup menu? I think you need to do it in the main settings for the 'box, and you might have to do it as well in the game if you've already been playing it in 2ch.

Have you tried Halo, or something else that's 5.1?

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 11 Nov 2003, 03:21 am »
I've never played Ghost Recon, but so far I've yet to try a game that didn't do DD surround (we're talking about 35 games).

The sound is one of the biggest draws of the 'box, IMO.  Maybe even bigger than the graphics.  I can't imagine playing Halo or MechAssault without surround sound (and my pair of HSU TN-1220 subs! MA, in particular, gives 'em a real workout!).

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 11 Nov 2003, 05:50 am »
Quote from: mcrespo71
No, I use my TV- my Xbox is underutilized for surround.  I'll go online now, OK.  Look for Blur Rocks.

What kind of game do you play? I see 3 types . Look for me as skybox.

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 11 Nov 2003, 05:51 am »
Quote from: bubba966
Quote from: jqp
I can't get Dolby Digital (5.1) to come on for my Outlaw 950 with Ghost Recon.

If you just hooked up the optical out on your 'box, did you adjust the audio settings in the setup menu? I think you need to do it in the main settings for the 'box, and you might have to do it as well in the game if you've already been playing it in 2ch.

Have you tried Halo, or something else that's 5.1?

OK I'll try the XBox settings

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 11 Nov 2003, 02:50 pm »
Thanks bubba it was the XBox settings  :D

bubba966

« Reply #13 on: 11 Nov 2003, 03:02 pm »
You're welcome.

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 11 Nov 2003, 03:57 pm »
FANTASTIC GAME. Reminds me of HALO multiplayer fun. Had a lot of fun playing Ghost Recon last night on XBox Live! Let's just say that when I went to bed it was almost 4am  :sleep:

It is a pretty easy game to just jump in on. I will go through some campains and learn how to command a squad.

There was some "cheating" going on last night, as I had seen in MechAssault. Buddies ganging up on "every man for himself", guys setting up the games to favor themselves heavily and put others at a big disdadvantage. Waiting in a remote location for newbies to respawn. Etc. I am sure I can learn to avoid those kinds of games with more experience.

But over all it was a real blast and realistic enough that I was able to get my share of kills using basic skills and common sense.

The graphics engine looks like Battlefield 1942 (which I have never played)

I will be playing this many nights!

mcrespo71

« Reply #15 on: 12 Nov 2003, 04:54 am »
Allright enders game circle members, JQP and I played a bunch of co-operative campaigns tonight on Xbox Live and IT ROCKED!!!!   We were really strategic in our approach, so it really felt like we were in a squad together.  It's time for other Xbox owning circle members to buy this game and joing the  8)  8) people on Xbox LIVE!

Woodsea

« Reply #16 on: 12 Nov 2003, 05:46 am »
Alright, I will try to pick this title up tomorrow.  Sounds like fun.

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #17 on: 12 Nov 2003, 03:43 pm »
Definitely get it - it is $39 now. Probably Ghost Recon on Live is one of the big bangs for the buck in gaming these days.

mcrespo71 ("BLUR ROCKS") and I played for a couple of hours last night. I finally learned that to talk in thiis game you have to press the white button! We did a couple of cooperative missions, and I really got killed a lot. Finally realized I need my good glasses to be able to really see the enemy!

We even chatted a little about our systems while clearing a few buildings  8)  Talking on the headsets is really great and makes the game much more fun. It is really necessary for squad-based play.

After that I played a few every-man-for-himself games. Did ok on some, got into some real server lag issues on others. I shot a guy twice at close range, but I was the one who died as I watched him run by me  :cry:

TheeeChosenOne

« Reply #18 on: 12 Nov 2003, 07:16 pm »
Jqp,
Have you picked up the Rainbow Six 3 title for the Xbox?

Great game for this type of action.

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/557004.asp

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #19 on: 12 Nov 2003, 08:04 pm »
No - I just got Thunder Island. I think I will be busy just play this and some MechAssault for a while. And Grand Theft Auto. And Outlaw Volleyball.  :uzi:  :guns:  :peek:  :bounce:  :sleep:

Then they have that new dance moves game for XBox  8)

What is the difference in Rainbow Six 3?