amps blow fuses when connected to my omegas.

jmolsberg

Re: amps blow fuses when connected to my omegas.
« Reply #20 on: 16 May 2022, 12:04 am »
when the fuses blew did you have the subs hooked up to the speaker terminals on the amp (high level)?
« Last Edit: 16 May 2022, 01:10 am by jmolsberg »

bakufu

« Reply #21 on: 16 May 2022, 01:27 am »
Hey!

Ironic isn't it? That Omega speakers, they are easy to drive would blow fuses of 300wpc SS amp.

Someone here already mentioned speaker capacitance. I can't think of anything that could cause the problem, but the speaker cable you are using with right now combined with connectors on the cables and speaker could all add up to the point that could cause the amp to blow.

If you like the sound of the Omega ( I'm a Single Driver user here and I know there's something special about the sound that SD speaker without xover can do) I'd suggest you try another speaker and see. Let me know if that works and how the combo of 300wpc SS and the Omega sound.

Buddy

i assume you mean:  try another speaker *cable*.  done that.  no joy.

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #22 on: 16 May 2022, 02:08 pm »
Is the capacitance rating for your speaker wires a per foot value or a total value?

In any event it is a pretty high capacitive load.

Does your Ampzilla have output inductors to protect it from capacitive loads?  Most do, but some do not, usually with eventually bad results.  Search for Cobra Cables.

If not, the amplifier might be going into very high frequency (you can't hear it) oscillations and blowing the speaker fuses with these particular speakers.

Nobody's fault, just one of the inconsistencies out there when trying to put an audio system together from different sources.

Frank

Stercom

« Reply #23 on: 16 May 2022, 02:56 pm »
In high power amplifiers, when power is switched on, the various stages inside the circuit board take a few milliseconds to stabilize. However, before the circuit stages are able to stabilize, the MOSFETs are forced to conduct instantaneously due to the switch on voltage spike, allowing the full input DC to pass though the connected loudspeakers. The loudspeakers being low in resistance create a momentary short circuit kind of situation causing heavy load on the amp fuses, until they blow.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #24 on: 16 May 2022, 03:16 pm »
Is the capacitance rating for your speaker wires a per foot value or a total value?

In any event it is a pretty high capacitive load.

Does your Ampzilla have output inductors to protect it from capacitive loads?  Most do, but some do not, usually with eventually bad results.  Search for Cobra Cables.

If not, the amplifier might be going into very high frequency (you can't hear it) oscillations and blowing the speaker fuses with these particular speakers.

Nobody's fault, just one of the inconsistencies out there when trying to put an audio system together from different sources.

Frank

Here is what Frank is talking about-

https://polkcobracable.blogspot.com/2020/05/polk-cobra-speaker-cable-user-guide.html

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #25 on: 17 May 2022, 10:58 am »
Its possible this expensive amp has no soft start ?
I had various cheap amps and all had softstart inclusive a pro-audio one.