unifield 3 setup

scb

unifield 3 setup
« on: 3 May 2011, 09:54 pm »
listening for the first time now and trying to figure out what sounds best.  question for unifield 3 owners here: do you toe-in? how much?

any tips for a new unifield 3 owner?

BigSwede

Re: unifield 3 setup
« Reply #1 on: 3 May 2011, 10:01 pm »
Usually Albert's manuals are pretty detailed in that regard...

steve_sf

• My Gear
« Reply #2 on: 3 May 2011, 11:17 pm »
I have them toed in to be angled right at the sweet spot but that may sound a bit harsh until the tweeters are run in. I get the best results with them toed in that way.

JackD201

« Reply #3 on: 4 May 2011, 12:03 am »
zero toe in 8 ft apart for me :)

Afterimage

« Reply #4 on: 4 May 2011, 01:55 am »
Timely.  I was just finding a good position for mine.  scb, is yours on carpet?  I found it really hard to reposition them with the spike on the carpet and of course the speakers are only on the base via the fun tack stuff.  Disco from this forum advised me to get some furniture sliders and they have been a big help in moving them around.  Also, if you haven't already, fill the base tube with sand or lead shot.   What amp and speaker cables are you using?  Good luck and as others told me, these take a long time to break in.  I'm at over 500 hours and still hearing improvements.

scb

« Reply #5 on: 4 May 2011, 02:02 am »
Mine are on a hardwood floor, so I can move them around easy enough.

i'm using an Arcam P7 amp, with 4 channels of it bi-amping these speakers.  Cables are older Audio Magic Sorcerer (silver) at the moment but I have some Sorcerer Liquid Airs on the way to replace these

you filled yours with sand/lead?

thanks for the responses so far

Afterimage

« Reply #6 on: 4 May 2011, 02:40 am »
zero toe in 8 ft apart for me :)

Mine are about 7.5 feet apart.  How far from the side walls?  Mine are just a tad over 2 feet.

Afterimage

« Reply #7 on: 4 May 2011, 02:42 am »
Mine are on a hardwood floor, so I can move them around easy enough.

i'm using an Arcam P7 amp, with 4 channels of it bi-amping these speakers.  Cables are older Audio Magic Sorcerer (silver) at the moment but I have some Sorcerer Liquid Airs on the way to replace these

you filled yours with sand/lead?

thanks for the responses so far
Yeah, I just filled mine with sand tonight.  I guess you can only do the center tube as the rest of the base is blocked off. Can't tell if it makes much of a difference though.  So how do you like the sound so far?

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #8 on: 4 May 2011, 01:54 pm »
No need to toe-in SCB.

JackD201

« Reply #9 on: 4 May 2011, 02:31 pm »
Mine are about 7.5 feet apart.  How far from the side walls?  Mine are just a tad over 2 feet.

About 5 feet from the side walls and 2.5 ft from the front. Our bedroom is 50sq/m with 9ft ceilings. These little guys fill the room very easily.

Afterimage

« Reply #10 on: 4 May 2011, 06:08 pm »
You must have a pretty big room Jack.  I think I am going to bring mine in a little closer or away from the side walls.  These things are a little tricky because they sound good pretty much where ever I place them, the trick though is to get them in position to sound at their best or potential.   A good problem to have I guess.

disco

• Industry Participant
    • Supra HiFi
« Reply #11 on: 4 May 2011, 09:36 pm »
"Yeah, I just filled mine with sand tonight.  I guess you can only do the center tube as the rest of the base is blocked off. Can't tell if it makes much of a difference though.  So how do you like the sound so far?"

Kieran,

You can fill the front tube with sand by pouring in into the spike holes(a funnel will help). Once you screw the spikes in it won't leak out.

Scott

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #12 on: 4 May 2011, 11:48 pm »
I pine for the days of lead shot filler.  I guess we could fill 'em with Hg  :lol:

JackD201

« Reply #13 on: 5 May 2011, 12:04 am »
No.9 Birdshot is still my filler of choice and still available at my local gun shop. I can't imagine it being hard to get in the US. Is it?

Afterimage

« Reply #14 on: 5 May 2011, 12:37 am »
"Yeah, I just filled mine with sand tonight.  I guess you can only do the center tube as the rest of the base is blocked off. Can't tell if it makes much of a difference though.  So how do you like the sound so far?"

Kieran,

You can fill the front tube with sand by pouring in into the spike holes(a funnel will help). Once you screw the spikes in it won't leak out.

Scott

Darn, I didn't think about that.  Oh well, maybe I will attempt that in a couple of weeks.  By the way, I just hooked the MIT speaker cables up. 

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #15 on: 5 May 2011, 01:18 am »
No.9 Birdshot is still my filler of choice and still available at my local gun shop. I can't imagine it being hard to get in the US. Is it?

Beats me but I figured anything with lead in it, including many of our politicians asses, is off the table now.

BigSwede

« Reply #16 on: 5 May 2011, 02:29 am »
I used copper plated lead shot in my VR-2s, just made sure to wash my hands afterward. Once it is in there it isn't going to hurt anybody...

wimck

« Reply #17 on: 5 May 2011, 02:41 pm »
Hi scb

The first 3 months I moved them very often but always putted them back after some time.
It's the position where Cor placed them when he delivered them.
In my situation: no toe-in, 6ft between them, 2,5ft from the side walls and 0,7ft from the back wall.
My listening position is 11ft from the fronts of the Unifields and behind my listening chair there' s about 3 ft to the back wall
My room is 11 X 16ft
On both sidewalls I have made compartiments, with cd's and DVD's in it, which act like diffusors.
I'm VERY happy with the sound in this room

Afterimage

« Reply #18 on: 5 May 2011, 04:07 pm »
Hey guys, the blue sticky stuff that is placed between the base and the bottom module is losing it's effectiveness.  For example if I'm not careful when I move the speakers, they tip over off the base.  Any idea what I can use as a subsitute?

Afterimage

« Reply #19 on: 7 May 2011, 02:02 pm »
I would advise  NOT to use sand when filling the front tubes through the spike holes.  The holes are pretty small so if to much sand gets into the hole while filling, it clogs up.  That and some of the sand pebbles are a little bigger and can get jammed into the hole.  It is a very tedious process.  I took a long time just trying to fill one front tube.  I never got finished.  I'm just going to go get some led shot to finish the job.  If VSA knew their customers were going to fill the  bases, why didn't the create the platics covers on the front tube too?

As for a sticky substance to hold the speakers to the base, I think I going to try velcro.