Jim Thiel passes

Delacroix

Jim Thiel passes
« on: 18 Sep 2009, 03:11 am »
Not really a Von S issue but, in the annals of speaker design, it was a sad moment this evening when I learned that Jim Thiel  died:http://hometheaterreview.com/legendary-speaker-designer-jim-thiel-passes-away/

I once had a dealing with the company and was contacted by Jim as a result. All I can say is he was like Albert -- enthusiastic about speakers and keen to talk to people who might share the passion. His company reflects this passion and I hope they can survive this loss. All in all friends, enjoy the music while you can.

JackD201

Re: Jim Thiel passes
« Reply #1 on: 18 Sep 2009, 05:42 am »
The loss of Jim is a great one. May he rest in peace.

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #2 on: 18 Sep 2009, 10:01 am »
I agree with Jack.
May he rest in peace.

An other link:

http://www.cepro.com/article/jim_thiel_passes_away/

Cor

Albert Von Schweikert

• Industry Participant
    • Von Schweikert Audio
« Reply #3 on: 18 Sep 2009, 08:01 pm »
I am deeply saddened to hear about my friend Jim Thiel's passing. We had been friends since the 1980's, when Jim and I gave seminars on speaker design at dealers we shared. On two occasions, we had been Guest Speakers at the Stereophile Shows, in 1992 and 1996, where we shared the camaraderie of David Wilson and Richard Vandersteen on the same stage - being pleaantly "grilled" by audiophiles hungry for knowledge.

Jim and I had many deep conversations over the years regarding the mysteries of making an electro-mechanical device "play music" and Jim's observations were always pertinent, intelligent, and witty.  He was a Southern Gentleman in the traditional sense, with all the passion that a Kentuckian can bring to something he loves and deeply believes in. He will be greatly missed by all of us here at Von Schweikert Audio.  If there is music in heaven, Jim is there now, conducting the orchestra.

With my deepest sympathy to his family,

Albert Von Schweikert