Power cables and the paranormal..

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
Power cables and the paranormal..
« on: 20 Aug 2009, 04:14 pm »
I recently brought home a pair of Shunyata Python Alpha CX power cables at my dealer's urging.  He guaranteed I would hear significant improvement over my DIYs.  After a couple of hours of switching them out on my cd player then monoblocks I have to admit that I didn't hear a significant difference or any difference at all for that matter.  These things sell for $1100... :duh:.  So being the masochist that I must be, I am participating in a free in home trial of the Lessloss power cables from Lithuania.

http://www.lessloss.com/

I have read countless reviews on these things and have concluded that they either are actually doing some good things or Mr. Louis Motek has mastered the art of mass hypnosis.  Besides they look cool :drool:.  Has anyone here had experience with these pc's?  Or any comments about exotic power cords are welcome.

Gavin

kgturner

Re: Power cables and the paranormal..
« Reply #1 on: 20 Aug 2009, 05:51 pm »
i can't say definitively if audiophile power cords make a difference or not, but i would believe that your system is resolving enough to notice a difference if one exists. if you don't hear a difference, call it a day. i would believe that if you continue to try to prove to yourself that you can hear a difference, eventually you will.

kevin t

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #2 on: 20 Aug 2009, 06:17 pm »
You are absolutely correct Kevin.  At some point unless you keep your guard up, psychoacoustics take over and you hear what you think you should be hearing....big $$, great build quality, the testosterone factor...they gotta sound better. :o

Regalma

« Reply #3 on: 20 Aug 2009, 06:52 pm »
Research has shown that the more you believe an item cost the better you perceive it to be.

That's probably why some cable manufactures have found that they needed to double, triple, quadruple etc. their prices in order to get people to buy their products.

varsharun

« Reply #4 on: 20 Aug 2009, 08:02 pm »
The cables do look amazing Gavin, let us know if they make any difference. In my system, the only improvement I noticed  was when I added a power conditioner (albeit a very basic one like the ps audio quintet). Haven't really seen much of an improvement with expensive power cords, but then my system (or my ears) may not be resolving enough.

Doesn't VSA also sell a signature power cord in addition to other cables? Joe?

-Arun

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #5 on: 20 Aug 2009, 09:20 pm »
Dear All,

Power!

The power situation is the most important part of the whole system.
When the power is not in the right condition the system will never sound at it's peak and the music will not get as magic as it can. The power condition is never the same. Late at night you have the most quiet sinus and current.

That is why we start the investigation at power distribution where the cable comes into the house.
A special seperate good shielded 4mm2 wire directly to the audiosystem is very valuable.
The result of the powercable is very personal and place depending.

VSA recently presented a nice powercord which sounds very special.
See the link:

http://www.dimfs.com/von_schweikert.html

There is always one solution to discover. Just try.
Joe at VSA-service can tell you where to get one of these powercords.

Good luck and enjoy,

Cor

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 20 Aug 2009, 09:36 pm »
$4200 for a power cord??  Just think about that for a minute. :o

varsharun

« Reply #7 on: 20 Aug 2009, 10:01 pm »
And if bought without spouse approval, is the cord strong enough to hold one's weight  :o :o

$4200 for a power cord??  Just think about that for a minute. :o

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #8 on: 20 Aug 2009, 10:06 pm »
Hey Gavin,

After a few minutes.

We sell a lot of powercords at a price range from 250,00 up to 1500,00 Euro and sometimes even more. Several clients call this the best investment they ever made. I had no oppertunity (yet)to listen to the VSA Signature Cord.

The best results I have ever heard was by the Magic Reference SE from Harmonic Technology.

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue38/ht_reference.htm

In your system the HT Fantasy AC 10 should sound very nice.

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue25/ac10.htm

Cor

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 21 Aug 2009, 02:47 am »
Thanks Cor I'll check them out.  Tonight I installed 4 PS Audio PCs in my system and did some substituting with the PC on my cd player.  I used my DIY cable, the PS Audio and the Shunyata Python on loan from my dealer.  It's killing me to admit this but the Shunyata really did make things sound more musical.  The PS Audio was way too in-your-face and etched...fatiquing.  My trusty DIY PC outperformed the PS Audio but the Shunyata was much more listenable--non fatiguing and able to draw you into the music.  I was listening to two SACDs...Nickel Creek's "This Side"...cut 8 "Seven Wonders" and Yellow Brick Road cut 13 "Candle in the Wind" acoustic.  Also cd Boz Scaggs "Speak Low" cut 8 "Ballad of the Sad Young Men".  In all cases the Shunyata convinced me that there is something special going on here with that garden hose sized cable.  Too bad the PS Audio doesn't get the job done as well because it has the best connectors by far.  They are molded rather than mechanically attached and offer a much stronger connection both plug and IEC.  I am really anxious now to hear the Lessloss cables; they are en route from Lithuania.  I will report back...stay tuned.

Gavin

McTwins

« Reply #10 on: 21 Aug 2009, 05:51 am »
Hi Everybody!

I am using Jenving Power conditioner and power cords thru my system and it's working great here. The only change I notice was when I connected all my system to an 16 amps fuse and 2,5 mm2 cable that runs seperatly from the rest of my house cabling, this was a huge change compared what I had before, mainly two different 1,5 mm2 with two different fuse box 10 amps. Now, the hole system is connected to a common feeder and ground with is the most important and that the cables are shielding.

Thanks

BobM

« Reply #11 on: 21 Aug 2009, 12:59 pm »
I did a shoot out of several different power cords some time ago to prove to myself that there wasn't a difference, or at least that any differences weren't meaningful. Or to prove that the DIY Belden based cord that I was using (and I do feel that the $1.99 cheapo cords do need upgrading if for no other reason that guage) was as good as the high priced competition.

Well what I discovered to my amazement is that each cord changed the sound somewhat, and that the results differed from the amp to the CD player to the phono preamp. The Belden held its own pretty well, but was beaten by other higher priced cords in some cases. My conclusion is that PC's in general can be used as tone controls to fine tune a system. Yes, some also will help increase the soundstage and spacial parameters as well. But there are different results depending on the component they are used on. So it's a trial and error thing unfortunately and one person't "best" is another persons "muddy bass" or "too much top end sizzle" and such.

But price is not necessarily a good way to judge the performance results in your system, although higher priced cords in a given product line did tend to be better then their lower priced siblings in general.

Enjoy,
Bob

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #12 on: 21 Aug 2009, 02:09 pm »
BobM,

I agree.  This is certainly and exercise in trial-and-error.  There are definitely sonic differences which I frankly find troubling.  If a power cord delivers 120V (220 for our European friends) and sufficient current that should be it's sole function in life and as such not add one thing to the sonic landscape.  But each do seem to have a sonic character.  I don't understand it and that in itself is troubling since I have been a power engineer for my entire career.  I have resigned myself in this case to go with the flow (sorry, couldn't resist :wink:).  More to follow.

Gavin

ps...BobM, love your signature

BobM

« Reply #13 on: 21 Aug 2009, 03:10 pm »

ps...BobM, love your signature

I'm allowed to poke fun, because I do play the accordion. It doesn't necessarily follow that I am a gentleman though.   aa

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #14 on: 21 Aug 2009, 03:14 pm »
Glad you stayed with the accordion.  Dolly Parton had to give it up  :lol:

JackD201

« Reply #15 on: 21 Aug 2009, 04:18 pm »
Glad you stayed with the accordion.  Dolly Parton had to give it up  :lol:

Why? Her arms were to short?  :lol: :lol: :lol:

I use all Shunyata Pythons in both systems. Admittedly, the PCs themselves contributed only minor benefits in sound but major benefits in looks  over my old PCs a mix of Verrastars and Transparents :lol: :lol: :lol:

What DID make a very noticeable difference was the switch from a Chang Lightspeed to the V-Rays and Hydras.

Our AC sucks over here. Anybody know anyone who wants to donate a few nuke powerplants to our country? There have got to be some French VSA lovers lurking   :thumb:

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #16 on: 21 Aug 2009, 04:48 pm »
Jack, you'll have to look elsewhere for nuke power plants.  We haven't broken ground on one in decades.  The sheer oppressive expanse of the required EIS has effectively killed all new permits :stupid:....but I digress.

....and yes those Pythons look cool :thumb:

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #17 on: 27 Aug 2009, 07:35 pm »
"Alice laughed: "There's no use trying," she said; "one can't believe impossible things."
"I daresay you haven't had much practice," said the Queen. "When I was younger, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."

Based on this profundity I've decided to confine my critical listening sessions to the early morning hours before breakfast.  Just kidding but some may swear I took the queen's advice when I say "yes Virginia, there is a difference in power cables".  My goal in auditioning this "snake oil" was to prove to myself that as long as a PC delivered 120V+/- (220V for our Euro friends) and sufficient current, it has done its job, end of story.  Now I must sheepishly admit that I found switching out PCs on the front end, in my case a CD/SACD player, did indeed have an impact on the sound.  I also have learned, at least in my system, that switching them out on my amps both pre and power, had no discernible effect.  I had four PCs on hand: my trusty DIY, PS Audio Power Punch (their least expensive model), Shunyata Python CX and the Lessloss, both the Original and the new Signature.  Cutting to the chase--I found that the PS Audio cable, even though it has great connectors and build quality, made things sound very much in-your-face, strident and planar.  My DIY cables trounced the PS Audio in that regard, smoothing things without any apparent loss of detail.  However, both the Shunyata and the Lessloss cables made vocals sound as if they had a lot more body and dimensionality.  Interestingly, I found that there was no discernible difference between the Lessloss Original cable and the Signature...interesting because the Original is 0.5X the price of the Signature.  That observation may be system dependent.  I am going to have an extended one-on-one between the Lessloss Original and the Shunyata Python later this week when a buddy of mine, who's an acoustic engineer with impeccable hearing, comes for a visit.  If memory serves, I thought the Lessloss is every bit the Shunyata's equal and at roughly half the price.  All the evaluations have been made using Diana Krall's "I Could Drink a Case of You" from her Live in Paris cd...acoustic piano and vocal.  Check it out if you haven't heard it as it is a superb recording.  If you are still reading this, many thanks and my apologies for the length of my post.  Reading cable reviews is right up there with water boarding :slap:

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #18 on: 28 Aug 2009, 12:22 am »
And if bought without spouse approval, is the cord strong enough to hold one's weight  :o :o

I missed your reply....ha ha, good one Arun! :lol: :lol: :lol:

jkelly

« Reply #19 on: 28 Aug 2009, 12:39 am »
I have a Lessloss cable.
It puts out the most bass of any cable I have had in my system(s).

Jeff