Harry Potter is a sucky version of Star Wars

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
Harry Potter is a sucky version of Star Wars
« on: 29 May 2024, 09:42 pm »
A young male orphaned protagonist, who for his own safety is sent to live with his aunt uncle, until a mysterious bearded stranger (who was actually the one who delivered him to his aunt and uncle when he was a baby) comes into his life and starts to teach him about this ancient kind of magic, then he's gonna learn a lot more about this magic from an older wiser dude who's high most of the time, however his uncle is really against this magic stuff won't even tell him what actually happened to his parents, but against his uncles wishes he leaves home for the first time, makes new friends and meets a pretty young impetus girl, and while their will be a non-sexual tension between the two of them he will only ever love her like a sister, while she struggles with her love for his best friend the scruffy comic relief. and then he learns of this supervillain who killed his parents back in the day with his sorcerer ways before he got super evil, and started calling himself lord something or the other, but fortunately it turns out our hero is naturally good at flying and locating incredibly small targets.

VinceT

Re: Harry Potter is a sucky version of Star Wars
« Reply #1 on: 30 May 2024, 12:22 am »
I really never analyzed the storyline to come to this conclusion, mildly enjoyed the series for what it was
....but yeah pretty much.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 30 May 2024, 03:42 am »
Star Wars is a sucky version of Star Wars.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #3 on: 30 May 2024, 01:25 pm »
They're both juvenile escapist fiction. 
As such, I've enjoyed them both.

Randy

« Reply #4 on: 30 May 2024, 06:51 pm »
My niece, Katherine Tegen, was a top children's book editor at Disney Books in NYC.  She read the manuscript of the first book when it was submitted by Rowling's agent.  She thought it was great, went to her boss and said, "We've just got to publish this."  Bosses declined saying, "It's all been done before, and is unoriginal."     I guess Katherine was correct.  Rowling went to a different publisher, Scholastic Press, I think, and the rest is history.  Later, Katherine's boss came to her and asked, "Didn't we have this under consideration?"   She replied, "Yes, and you turned it down."

https://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/childrens/childrens-industry-news/article/90536-harpercollins-s-katherine-tegen-to-retire-at-end-of-year.html

newzooreview

« Reply #5 on: 30 May 2024, 07:28 pm »
Joseph Campbell published The Hero With a Thousand Faces in 1949. https://www.jcf.org/learn/joseph-campbell-heros-journey

The hero's journey is a simple yet powerfully creative concept, found not just in myths and fairy tales but also novels, films, interactive video games, or anywhere stories are told.

George Lucas has frequently acknowledged the influence of Joseph Campbell's work, particularly the concept of the Hero's Journey, on his creation of the "Star Wars" saga.

The Hero's Journey arc has been well analyzed in the Harry Potter books as well. For example https://magicofhp.com/the-harry-potter-books-analyzing-the-heros-journey-narrative/

Both Star Wars and Harry Potter are derivative of the mythological theme of the Hero's Journey as Campbell termed it, but so is the New Testament, as far as that goes.

Joseph Campbell's work illuminates a wide range of themes and narrative forms that occur across cultures and time.