WTB: Decent Cassette Deck Best for the money?

Gvt1911

WTB: Decent Cassette Deck Best for the money?
« on: 6 Feb 2007, 10:02 pm »
Can anyone shed some light as to what is a decent cassette deck to buy? Have friend looking for something good , he still has many tapes lying around...Prefers a newer model with little wear...
Thanks...
Bhur41@netzero.com

BobM

Re: WTB: Decent Cassette Deck Best for the money?
« Reply #1 on: 6 Feb 2007, 10:19 pm »
There's really only one brand to consider - Nakamichi. Too many models to list, but I would suggest shopping used in the usual places and see what comes up for sale, then researching the model to find out its true worth.

Enjoy,
Bob

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #2 on: 6 Feb 2007, 10:24 pm »
I would second the Nakamichi. You might be able to find the old Tascam(studio) mastering decks for cheap as well. Look for a 3 head machine if you can find one. One that has a separate playback and erase head.

I have a Sony with Dolby S, and it is way quieter than Dolby C. It has a better frequency response too.

Cheers
« Last Edit: 7 Feb 2007, 12:54 am by Daygloworange »

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #3 on: 6 Feb 2007, 10:38 pm »
I have a used Tascam 122 MKIII in good working order and in good cosmetic condition that I would let go for $400 shipped in the lower 48 states. 

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #4 on: 6 Feb 2007, 10:46 pm »
That's the one. That's a great unit. I'd jump all over that if I was in the market for a tape deck.

Cheers

Berndt

« Reply #5 on: 6 Feb 2007, 10:51 pm »
Mr Woodsyi has got the best stuff!
« Last Edit: 7 Feb 2007, 11:23 am by Berndt »

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #6 on: 7 Feb 2007, 12:14 am »
I've got 15 lightly used AIWA ADF 400s (two head) that cost $400 each in '94 and sounded better than the lowest three levels of Nakamichi at the time, plus Naks never had the HX PRO feature which really helped in getting a hot signal on tape without saturation.

I'm selling them all off now, except two, for $100 each. They're all tuned to pitch, too. Most cassette decks, Naks included, came from the factory needing adjustment for all operating parameters, including running speed.

Canada only - the border's not worth the hassle for the price.

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #7 on: 7 Feb 2007, 12:26 am »
Russell,

I'll grab 2 of those off you. Check your PM.

Cheers

lazydays

« Reply #8 on: 7 Feb 2007, 06:17 am »
if your wanting to listen to music without all the hassels, then buy a Nakamichi RX 505 or a Dragon. Even an RX 202 is better than 90% of the decks out there.
Some folks favor some of the other Naks, but day in and day out those three will get the job done everytime.
gary

marknoir

« Reply #9 on: 8 Feb 2007, 08:30 pm »
The key to really getting everything that's on the tape is the correct azymuth alignment, and there is no such FIXED thing. So the only decks to consider would be Nakamichi. Expensive ones (Dragon etc) had that feature operate automatically, less expensive ones had manual azimuth adjustment. It makes for a WORLD of difference. I still have a Nakamichi Deck 1, it works like new, and it's NOT for sale, but these or similar models are available used for a couple of hundred or less. I used to have Tandbergs (sounded great, but no azimuth and broke too often), and Eumigs (sounded even better, but very-very complicated and fussy), but Nakamichi with azimuth correction are the only way to go, especially if you are playing back most of the time.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #10 on: 10 Feb 2007, 07:45 am »
I almost forgot - now that the typical use for a cassette deck is to play back only and not record, it is doubly important that the heads be de-magnetized regularly. This can be done with one of those cassette shaped devices or with a general purpose de-magnetizer, but should be done.

When playing back only, the head gets progressively more magnetized and eventually will start to erase a certain amount of the high frequency information off the tape.

I never bothered to learn why or which head - this is as much as I know - but I  have one of those cassette shaped de-magnetizers that I used regularly. These days I almost never play cassettes.

lazydays

« Reply #11 on: 10 Feb 2007, 06:58 pm »
The key to really getting everything that's on the tape is the correct azymuth alignment, and there is no such FIXED thing. So the only decks to consider would be Nakamichi. Expensive ones (Dragon etc) had that feature operate automatically, less expensive ones had manual azimuth adjustment. It makes for a WORLD of difference. I still have a Nakamichi Deck 1, it works like new, and it's NOT for sale, but these or similar models are available used for a couple of hundred or less. I used to have Tandbergs (sounded great, but no azimuth and broke too often), and Eumigs (sounded even better, but very-very complicated and fussy), but Nakamichi with azimuth correction are the only way to go, especially if you are playing back most of the time.

I've owned a half dozen cassette decks thru the years, and have only kept two. Both are Nakamichis. One is a very, very old 600 and the other is an RX 202. The 600 sounds better, but I had the heads regapped right after buying it. The plan back then was to use a DBX instead of Dolby, and record at a minus 20db. That deck won every lab shoot out it was ever in by a wide margin. The S/N ratio was over 93db, and was virtually flat from 20 Hz to 22KHz. Doubt the Rx202 would come close to those specs.
gary

Cacophonix

« Reply #12 on: 10 Feb 2007, 07:22 pm »
I've a nakamichi DR-10 that i picked up in mint condition ... its sounds wonderful!
Though i hardly play any tapes, there is no way i'm getting rid of it!