Headphone driver:
-- Dual parallel OPA1622s
« Last Edit: 12 Mar 2019, 11:53 am by orchardaudio »

orchardaudio

• Industry Participant
    • Orchard Audio
Re: Introducing ApplePi DAC -- Highest Performance Raspberry Pi DAC
« Reply #161 on: 12 Mar 2019, 11:57 am »
Just so that there is no misunderstanding...

The PecanPi Streamer is a fully built, ready to go plug and play device. There is no assembly or configuration required.

If you want a cheaper solution you can buy the kit and assemble yourself.

orchardaudio

• Industry Participant
    • Orchard Audio
« Reply #162 on: 13 Mar 2019, 12:05 pm »
I have had multiple questions regarding volume control on the unit.

The volume control can be either through the knob on the unit or through software when you control the device remotely.

The HW volume control on the unit (knob) will be better than to the SW one. Both will sound great.

orchardaudio

• Industry Participant
    • Orchard Audio
« Reply #163 on: 17 Mar 2019, 03:40 pm »
First review / writeup on the PecanPi:
https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/55945-orchard-audio-applepi-and-pecanpi-raspberrypi-dacs/

Some quotes from the writeup:
"I know very well how the SBT and AudioEngine 5+ powered speakers sound, but even as I was being somewhat distracted by enabling this new RPi endpoint in Roon, my focus was immediately drawn to the music when I started up Jean Michel Jarre’s latest “Equinoxe Infinity” (via Tidal). It’s a new reference recording, and I immediately noticed a significant sound quality improvement. Granted the SBT is probably a better streamer than DAC, but holy cow! The stereo imaging on Flying Totems (Movement 2) was outstanding, and the bass much, much tighter. Everything was just better."

"Thebass is huge and the imaging is precise. Way better than Ithought possible. I even forgot about wanting to add a subwoofer. My wife even commented on how great it sounded and wants me to now set up something at her office. What just happened?!?"

orchardaudio

• Industry Participant
    • Orchard Audio
« Reply #164 on: 23 Mar 2019, 02:44 am »
I realized that you can use the PecanPi DAC or Streamer to bi-amp speakers because the XLR and RCA outputs can be used at the same time.

orchardaudio

• Industry Participant
    • Orchard Audio
« Reply #165 on: 23 Mar 2019, 01:48 pm »
Link to how-to video for assembly of PecanPi DAC into optional case:
http://youtu.be/78NWQz_Itzw
« Last Edit: 23 Mar 2019, 03:07 pm by orchardaudio »

JohnR

Re: PecanPi -- Next Generation Raspberry Pi DAC and Streamer
« Reply #166 on: 24 Mar 2019, 04:11 am »
Neat. The way the board sticks out over the edge of the PI makes a lot more sense seeing it in the chassis.

Full test data for the PecanPi DAC available here:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/pecanpi-next-generation-raspberry-pi-dac-and-streamer.6952/post-155559

Well that looks exemplary!

orchardaudio

• Industry Participant
    • Orchard Audio
Re: PecanPi -- Next Generation Raspberry Pi DAC and Streamer
« Reply #167 on: 24 Mar 2019, 01:25 pm »
Neat. The way the board sticks out over the edge of the PI makes a lot more sense seeing it in the chassis.
Had no choice but to do that, due to the full size XLR connectors.

Well that looks exemplary!
Thanks.

orchardaudio

• Industry Participant
    • Orchard Audio
« Reply #168 on: 27 Mar 2019, 12:27 am »
I have had multiple requests to have a picture of the PecanPi Streamer with something other than a plain white background so that the size of the unit can be more easily visualized.

mdconnelly

« Reply #169 on: 30 Apr 2019, 03:27 pm »
I recently had the good fortune to spend a week listening to a pre-release demo unit of Orchard Audio's PecanPi Streamer that owner, Leo Ayzenshtat, made available on request.  Details on his website or earlier in this thread.   Most of my music listening over the last couple years has been via Roon (love it!), which is what attracted me to the PecanPi Streamer. In a single small box, it functions as a Roon endpoint, a very high quality DAC, a headphone amp and can operate via ethernet or wireless. 

To say the least, I was quite impressed! Based on the excellent PecanPi specs, I was certain it would sound far better than just using my iPhone/iPad as a Roon endpoint and likely a good bit better than using my Squeezebox Touch as DAC and Roon endpoint. No contest on either. Throughout my listening, the PecanPi presentation was laden with immense detail, clarity and depth of soundstage.  It's also nice to know that there is a top-quality Squeezebox replacement in a single box. (For me, Roon replaced LMS over 3 years ago when Roon started supporting Squeezeboxes as endpoints). 

I've also used a couple more upscale approaches to streaming Roon via their RAAT protocol to improve sound quality whether it be to headphones or speakers in my office.  To do so included a Roon endpoint - a Sonore microRendu - along with either an iFi Micro iDSD DAC/Amp or a Schiit Bifrost Multibit DAC . The PecanPi Streamer stood up to these amazingly well, and offered a bit more in certain areas.  (caveat: my music, my gear, my 66+ year-old ears ;-)  But being able to do so at this pricepoint all within a single box makes the PecanPi a uniquely compelling product.

A bit of background: the Sonore microRendu/iFi iDSD combo has been my go-to kit for headphone listening over the last couple years.  Certainly not top-of-the-line, but to these ears, it provides an immersive soundstage with dead quiet background and excellent separation between voices and instruments - a sound quality I've come to know and love.  The PecanPi proved to be equally engaging yet with a few significant differences...  Foremost, the PecanPi conveyed greater detail & clarity with a highly neutral tonal presentation whereas the microRendu/iDSD leaned to the warmer, richer side.  This worked to the benefit of the microRendu/iDSD combo when listening via my Tin Audio T3 IEMs (IEMs known for their neutrality), but the PecanPi was a great match for my Senn HD650 headphones - not surprising given that the HD650s leans slightly toward the warmer side while enabling all the detail and clarity provided by the PecanPi to shine through.  Often, the PecanPi seemed to be revealing more of what was going on in the music - fingers on bass strings, piano note decay, hall ambience, etc... Bass notes, in particular, were deep yet well defined.  With good recordings, this proved quite mesmerizing, but on lesser quality recordings, not surprisingly, that could turn a bit edgy. 

Comparing the Schiit Bifrost Multibit DAC was a bit of apples to oranges since I used an external headphone amp as well when not listening via powered speakers. I also did some of my listening with the Bifrost fed via USB from my computer as well as via the microRendu.  But in all cases, the results were similar - the Schiit, like the iFi,  seemed to present a more relaxed yet engaging presentation whereas the PecanPi conveyed a more neutral, highly detailed soundstage that, with well recorded music, offered an engaging and immersive musical treat.

Bottom line, I was very impressed with the PecanPi Streamer.  The exceptional sound quality is all about the high quality of the PecanPi DAC, no doubt. If you love clarity and detail, this is a no-brainer. The ability to have a top-quality DAC, headphone amp and Roon endpoint in one small box, the ability to use wired or wireless, and a high-quality volume control all make the Streamer a pretty awesome bang-for-the-buck product.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #170 on: 30 Apr 2019, 04:37 pm »
Great review mdconnelly! I am happy to read your subjective review as my assessment of the PecanPi’s objective measurements tell me that this is a 1st class product. There are a few competitors at this price point notably the Allo Katana but I really like what Leo is doing here and want to support the small business owner who engineers great products at a reasonable price.

Best,
Anand.

orchardaudio

• Industry Participant
    • Orchard Audio
Another great review:
https://theaudiophileman.com/pecanpi-dac-streamer-review-orchard-audio/

"The PecanPi sits within an attractive price point and at that price it offers plenty: impressive sonic abilities being top of the list. Specifically, an attractive blend of dynamic force, rich imagery and layered detail. A bit of a bargain, then."

and

"I then played Looking for a Home, two guys and two guitars or, more accurately, Kevin Greeninger & Dayan Kai at 24bit/192kHz. The string manipulation from the guitars was impressive as was the silence sitting behind the pair: the contrast set up a soundstage heavy with emotion from this serious song. The sense of clarity was also excellent as the PecanPi took advantage of the superior sound source file while the imagery that set the singers and their instruments on the soundstage was excellent. Even the bass-infused foot stomps from the guys, keeping a beat, were easily heard here. The sense of tonal balance allowed me to increase the gain without having my ears bitten off."

and

"If anything, DSD output (despite the non-native processing) was the most impressive file output across the entire sound test as inherent noise was very low. Small and subtle details were able to flow easily from the rear of the mix and the 3D structure around the stereo image added layers and a busy, almost market square feel to the song which seemed packed with people and instruments. A party atmosphere, if you will. Harmonicas here, acoustic guitars there, an accordion, mandolin, 57 varieties of percussion but throughout the PecanPi allowed this detail to reach the ear unimpeded."

orchardaudio

• Industry Participant
    • Orchard Audio
The PecanPi Streamer continues to amaze. Read latest review from The Audio Beatnik here:
https://theaudiobeatnik.com/reviewing-orchard-audios-new-pecanpi-streamer-and-dac/

orchardaudio

• Industry Participant
    • Orchard Audio
« Reply #174 on: 29 May 2019, 02:29 am »
Raspberry Pi DAC Shootout - Hamburg, Germany - June 13

There will be a double blind demo of multiple Rpi DACs including the PecanPi in Hamburg.

It is completely free.

For more info and to register email linux@kompage.de

More info here:
https://forum.volumio.org/volumio-soundcheck-invitation-for-hamburg-germany-t5918-120.html#p63722

orchardaudio

• Industry Participant
    • Orchard Audio
« Reply #175 on: 13 Jun 2019, 07:55 pm »
If you are in the NJ area stop by and check out both the PecanPi Streamer and BOSC Amp at a demo on July 6th.

You can RSVP here:
https://www.facebook.com/events/348651915800038/

If you do not have Facebook just send me a message and I will get you the details.
« Last Edit: 14 Jun 2019, 11:51 am by orchardaudio »

orchardaudio

• Industry Participant
    • Orchard Audio
« Reply #176 on: 29 Jun 2019, 08:35 pm »
Updated BOSC Preliminary Specifications:
  • Gain: 16.8dB or 6.92 (For 8 and 6Ω speakers)
  • Gain: 13.8dB or 4.89 (For 4 and 3Ω speakers)
  • Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR): 121dB (A-weighted)
  • Total Harmonic Distortion (THD): <0.0003% (-110dB) @ 9W
  • Frequency Response: DC - 40kHz
  • Sensitivity: 2.5Vin for 37.5W
  • Input Impedance: 5kΩ fully balanced for 8Ω amp
  • Input Impedance: 7.1kΩ fully balanced for 4Ω amp
  • Output Power: 150W into 4Ω
  • Output Power: 150W into 8Ω
  • Size:  5.5" (14cm) x 4.8" (12.2cm) x 1.9" (4.8cm)

Preliminary THD vs Power Plot @ 1kHz

Eye Candy

For more info go here:
https://orchardaudio.com/bosc
« Last Edit: 13 Jul 2019, 01:32 am by orchardaudio »

orchardaudio

• Industry Participant
    • Orchard Audio
« Reply #177 on: 29 Jun 2019, 08:57 pm »
Additionaly I am looking for people who would be interested in trying these amps and posting their findings.
« Last Edit: 13 Jul 2019, 01:30 am by orchardaudio »

orchardaudio

• Industry Participant
    • Orchard Audio
« Reply #178 on: 20 Jul 2019, 04:14 pm »
PecanPi preorders have started shipping.

If you have a preorder be on the lookout for an email with tracking information.

The first 6 packages went out today.

All pre orders will be shipped within 2-3 weeks.

orchardaudio

• Industry Participant
    • Orchard Audio
PecanPi products are now in stock and shipping within a few days.

You can get 15% off your order by posting a review to the product page. (This cannot be combined with any other offers/discounts)

https://orchardaudio.com/shop?olsPage=products