Dead silent dedicated Linux music server for USB DAC's.

ebag4

Re: Dead silent dedicated Linux music server for USB DAC's.
« Reply #120 on: 8 Oct 2010, 09:25 pm »

The instructions are not really valid for Ubuntu without midification. It's vey specific to Voyage Linux.
Right, I am talking about the Debian machine used to load the CF initially, I currently have a Ubuntu machine up and running.  I though Terminal would be the same regardless of whether I am running it inside Unbuntu or Debian, of course that may be what you are telling me, not to use the Ubuntu machine to load the CF initially.

Thanks,
Ed

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #121 on: 8 Oct 2010, 09:28 pm »
Right, I am talking about the Debian machine used to load the CF initially, I currently have a Ubuntu machine up and running.  I though Terminal would be the same regardless of whether I am running it inside Unbuntu or Debian, of course that may be what you are telling me, not to use the Ubuntu machine to load the CF initially.

Oh, sorry. Yes, any Linux machine to unpack Voyage and do the install will be just fine.

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #122 on: 8 Oct 2010, 09:32 pm »
Well, the file was blank. I used vi to edit. I followed the script on the blog of what it should say. I typed in all of the the non "#" areas that I needed, but it won't write to the file. Tried several times, after making sure the cf was mountrw. I checked that I was able to do other things on the card. Now my plan is to make a new file, write the info to it, then make it the mpd.conf file. Hopefully that does it. If not, going ot try and remove the mpd and then do a new install of it.

Hmm. Better to start of with a clean stock file. You could: apt-get install --reinstall mpd

ebag4

« Reply #123 on: 9 Oct 2010, 02:53 pm »
Just in case anyone else is looking for the voyage tarball files this weekend while the HK site is down for repairs, you can find them here:
http://hints.at.linuxfromscratch.org/opsys/linux/voyage/download/voyage/

Best,
Ed

ebag4

« Reply #124 on: 12 Oct 2010, 05:43 pm »
Well, I have my "Dead silent dedicated Linux music server for USB DAC's" also know as Alix up and running! 

First off I would like to thank Nick (nyc_paramedic) for his fantastic support through this having exchanged more than 30 emails with me during this process, without Nick this project wouldn't exist and as a total Linux newby I would have not been able to complete the build, thanks again Nick!

What made this project a little more difficult was that instead of building a dedicated music server I opted to utilize my Network Media Tank that runs video and music downstairs in the HT.  The NMT brings with it various headaches that I did not anticipate.

Now that it is built I will listen to it for a few days before posting any opinions.  I will say that the cool factor using this tiny device to play audio is off the charts, and the fact that it runs on very little power takes it over the top.  Ultimately I will be powering it with my Optima battery along with the Dodd Buffer, for now it is powered by a small switcher.

A very cool and inexpensive project, thanks for putiing it all together Nick.

Best,
Ed

jrebman

« Reply #125 on: 12 Oct 2010, 06:25 pm »
Nice going Ed!  Can't wait to hear your impressions.

And I second the kudos to Nick.  He has gone above and beyond in helping me get my board configured -- a great guy all around!

-- Jim

ebag4

« Reply #126 on: 12 Oct 2010, 06:36 pm »
Nice going Ed!  Can't wait to hear your impressions.

And I second the kudos to Nick.  He has gone above and beyond in helping me get my board configured -- a great guy all around!

-- Jim

Thanks Jim.  We can talk off line but if starting from scratch using the NMT "may" not be the best solution.  I am writing all of the mpd files back to the CF card at this point because mpd cannot write back to the NMT HDD.  I have a question posted on the NMT forum but in doing a search it appears that I may not be able to get it to work the way I want.  Having said that, I am not certain writing the various logs and playlists saves back to the CF card is causing any issues.

Best,
Ed

nl12048

« Reply #127 on: 25 Oct 2010, 07:23 pm »
I went through the complete install of voyage as described here http://cheap-silent-usb-linux-music-server.blogspot.com/ but with the latest tar.

If I turn on the system, no ipadres is given from my router. (If I look at the dhcp leases overview) So i am not sure the system is booting at all.

Any suggestions? Am I missing something?

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #128 on: 25 Oct 2010, 09:11 pm »
I went through the complete install of voyage as described here http://cheap-silent-usb-linux-music-server.blogspot.com/ but with the latest tar.

If I turn on the system, no ipadres is given from my router. (If I look at the dhcp leases overview) So i am not sure the system is booting at all.

Any suggestions? Am I missing something?

Which Alix are your using? If it's the 2d2, did you connect the ethernet cable to the port closest to the power plug?
Which .tar? Stable or development?
What OS will you be using to SSH into the Alix?
Know how to use nmap? It's mentioned on the blog.

Look at the ethernet LED for a good 30-45 seconds after you apply power. Do you a series of rapid  blinks as it's attempting to get in IP address from your router?

Nick

nl12048

« Reply #129 on: 26 Oct 2010, 10:52 am »
Which Alix are your using? If it's the 2d2, did you connect the ethernet cable to the port closest to the power plug? Yes
Which .tar? Stable or development? Stable
What OS will you be using to SSH into the Alix? Ubuntu 10.10 or Windows 7
Know how to use nmap? It's mentioned on the blog. Tried it, but did not see the ALIX

Look at the ethernet LED for a good 30-45 seconds after you apply power. Do you a series of rapid  blinks as it's attempting to get in IP address from your router? The led was blinking for some time.

Nick

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #130 on: 28 Oct 2010, 11:02 pm »

Did you do the install with Ubuntu? And if yes, did you do the install as root?

nl12048

« Reply #131 on: 2 Nov 2010, 09:52 pm »
How do I find out how to recognize my ARCAM rDac under linux to put in MPD.conf?

both name and device #

mark@voyage:~$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 1: DAC [ARCAM DAC], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

What do I put in mpd.conf?

I keep getting an error message saying that there is a problem with opening the audio device
« Last Edit: 3 Nov 2010, 02:33 pm by nl12048 »

nl12048

« Reply #132 on: 3 Nov 2010, 02:44 pm »
How do I find out how to recognize my ARCAM rDac under linux to put in MPD.conf?

both name and device #

mark@voyage:~$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 1: DAC [ARCAM DAC], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

What do I put in mpd.conf?

I keep getting an error message saying that there is a problem with opening the audio device

ok card 1, device 0

Solved

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #133 on: 10 Nov 2010, 11:41 pm »
ok card 1, device 0

Solved

Any updates? Got music playing?

nl12048

« Reply #134 on: 11 Nov 2010, 01:06 pm »
Any updates? Got music playing?

Yes playing fine now. Just a few leds blinking all the time. Even when not playing. Any suggestion how to change that?

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #135 on: 12 Nov 2010, 03:56 pm »
Yes playing fine now. Just a few leds blinking all the time. Even when not playing. Any suggestion how to change that?

If your looking at your Aliz straights ahead, then the first LED blinking is the "heartbeat" of the CPU, i.e., the greater the CPU load the faster is flashes. The second LED is hard disk LED, and will flash when your reading or writing to your CF card. Last one should be the network LED.

There is a README file in the root directory of your ALIX that will explain how to manipulate the LED's or shut them off.

Also, read here: http://www.mail-archive.com/voyage-linux@list.voyage.hk/msg01688.html

Also, how's the Alix sounding with your DAC?

JDUBS

« Reply #136 on: 17 Nov 2010, 12:16 am »
Is there a "preferred" Alix board? 

-Jim

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #137 on: 17 Nov 2010, 01:11 am »
Is there a "preferred" Alix board? 

Jim,

I have a 2d2 and a 3d2. The 2d2 (http://www.pcengines.ch/alix2d2.htm) would sit on your typical audio rack with its LED's facing forward, and all cable connections (USB, ethernet ports, power) facing the back. It also has, in comparison to the 3d2, a second ethernet port, and a 2.5 IDE hard disk header. Techincally, one could say it's a teensy bit busier, electrically speaking.

The 3d2 (http://www.pcengines.ch/alix3d2.htm) is the most minimalist Alix board for USB audio that one could currently use. Only 1 ethernet and no IDE header. Also, the 3d3 has connectors on both sides of the board. That could work from some people who would want the Alix perpendicular to their DAC, or want to save $10. But the second ethernet port of the 2d2 could come in handy for someone who wants to avoid WiFi entirely.

With either board, the LED's can be configured to turn off. And EMI/RFI wise, I doubt there is any real difference. Though, if any one has the kind of equipment to snoop EMI/RFI noise, I'd love to loan him a unit and see how bad/good they are under load.

Nick

JDUBS

« Reply #138 on: 17 Nov 2010, 01:16 am »
Jim,

I have a 2d2 and a 3d2. The 2d2 (http://www.pcengines.ch/alix2d2.htm) would sit on your typical audio rack with its LED's facing forward, and all cable connections (USB, ethernet ports, power) facing the back. It also has, in comparison to the 3d2, a second ethernet port, and a 2.5 IDE hard disk header. Techincally, one could say it's a teensy bit busier, electrically speaking.

The 3d2 (http://www.pcengines.ch/alix3d2.htm) is the most minimalist Alix board for USB audio that one could currently use. Only 1 ethernet and no IDE header. Also, the 3d3 has connectors on both sides of the board. That could work from some people who would want the Alix perpendicular to their DAC, or want to save $10. But the second ethernet port of the 2d2 could come in handy for someone who wants to avoid WiFi entirely.

With either board, the LED's can be configured to turn off. And EMI/RFI wise, I doubt there is any real difference. Though, if any one has the kind of equipment to snoop EMI/RFI noise, I'd love to loan him a unit and see how bad/good they are under load.

Nick

Thanks Nick!  I think I'll give the 2d2 a try.  Any good U.S. retailers besides mini-box?  They seem to be out of stock with this board.

-Jim

ebag4