Cloud backup options for NAS music files

newzooreview

Cloud backup options for NAS music files
« on: 31 Jul 2023, 07:00 pm »
Has anyone found a good option for music files on a NAS?

I have almost 3Tb of music, and I would like to have a secondary backup on the cloud. It's easy enough to backup the NAS to a local drive, but a fallback option to backup to a cloud server.

I've seen options that are reasonably priced but which don't let me use a network drive as the data source.

Or options I've seen are ridiculously expensive.

Hopefully there's a good option that I've missed.

newzooreview

Re: Cloud backup options for NAS music files
« Reply #1 on: 31 Jul 2023, 07:23 pm »
Problem possibly solved?

https://www.idrive.com/

I will see how long it takes to upload the backup. Ostensibly I can send them a backup disk and they can upload it locally to jumpstart the process.

jpm

« Reply #2 on: 31 Jul 2023, 08:51 pm »
It may depend on your NAS manufacturer.  Synology offer their C2 backup as a solution, then there are the larger operators like Microsoft or Google or Backblaze.

https://c2.synology.com/en-us/pricing/backup/personal

Since you only have 3TB to back up, you could accomplish a lot very cost effectively with a USB hard drive and your NASs (assumed) backup software.

newzooreview

« Reply #3 on: 31 Jul 2023, 09:51 pm »
Thanks for your reply.

Yes, USB backup is easy. As I said, I'd like a cloud backup as a failsafe in addition to a local backup.

Synology C2 is more than $300/year for the plan (5 Tb) that would accommodate 3 Tb of music.

I've had a very poor experience with the Synology Drive software that handles backups on the LAN. I'm therefore cautious about relying on Synology apps.

WGH

« Reply #4 on: 31 Jul 2023, 10:51 pm »
I don't know if Google Drive works with a NAS plus it is expensive at $250/year for 5TB.

I pay $20/year for 100GB because I periodically have to upload and share large files. But for someone who needs speed plus file sharing then the Google Drive servers are blazing fast.
Century Link fiber is in my neighborhood so for $60/month I get 940Mbps upload and download speeds.

I just uploaded a 2.8GB test file, time: 41 seconds at 560 Mbps. I have seen faster speeds up to 900Mbps.

A 3TB file would still take 12.5 hours

File Transfer Time Calculator
https://www.beaming.co.uk/tools/file-transfer/file-transfer-time-calculator.asp

Yog Sothoth

« Reply #5 on: 31 Jul 2023, 11:03 pm »
My solution was to take a spare NUC I had, put a few drives on it in a ZFS array.  I then placed it at a friend's house who was nice enough to house it for me.  I run nightly rsyncs to it from home.  So far, for the past couple years, it has worked great and didn't really cost me anything since I had the hardware; however a older used NUC or a ThinkCentre can be had pretty cheaply.

mitch stl

« Reply #6 on: 20 Aug 2023, 05:33 pm »
I use Backblaze.com for cloud backup.