New x5's a bargain at twice the price.

Bob Stark

Re: New x5's a bargain at twice the price.
« Reply #120 on: 28 Nov 2020, 12:33 pm »
BRM,

I have a pair of Nuforce Ref 9 V3 SE mono amps that I loved the sound of--so much so that I had Bob Smith at TDSS do his level 3 upgrades to the power supply and other areas while not changing the circuit design.  This made the amps extremely fine sounding.  I had the Silversmith Fideliums for about month and Jeff made some heavy duty extender tabs to go on the binding posts of the amps.  My amps now have the plastic shields at the sides of the post that would not allow the foils to connect.  Afterwards, they went on very nicely. 

Big Red Machine

« Reply #121 on: 28 Nov 2020, 01:39 pm »
BRM

My recommendation if you're warming up to class D would be to look at Nord as I know they work with Spatial.  Colin can build the amps either mono or stereo and with the choice of NC500, NC1200, IcePower 1200 or Purifi modules.  He also offers options for internal wiring and three different WBT binding post options as he uses the same posts standard as D-Sonic. Another option that works with Spatial would be the Nuprime ST-10 monos. I've used both Nuprime and Nord with both M3TS and M3TM's.  Also Nord and Nuprime will both be easier for resale if it comes to that. 

https://www.nordacoustics.co.uk/

Mind-boggling, why so many choices?

NC500, NC1200, IcePower 1200 or Purifi modules

I particularly like the looks of the Appollon units:
https://www.apollonaudio.com/hypex-nc500-monoblock-amplifier-apollon-audio-nc800-slm/

And supposedly, these are $899 right now but I cannot find the evidence from the Audiogon guys who have some:
https://www.starkesound.com/detail.html?id=47

I can't determine the power output of the Nords yet from their website.

TomS

« Reply #122 on: 28 Nov 2020, 03:50 pm »
Clayton seems to favor the pair of Cherry Amp DTM's he's had in house for a long time. I have a Nord 5ch Hypex 502 amp here and it works well with the X5's. I've owned Atsah Hypex NC1200's, DiY NC400's, NC500's, and IcePower 1200AS2's.

If I were choosing today, I'd probably look at one of the myriad Purifi options, which all have customized input stages of many flavors, or Orchard Audio's Starkrimson GaN amps (direct 20% off sale through 12/10). Cherry Megaschino MK2 would be nice too, but it's $$$.

Due to the X3/X5's 97db spec, you want to avoid most higher gain amps, as the noise floor will become very apparent. The tube LTA UL is actually quieter than the Nord Hypex 502 in my system, go figure.

VistaBlue

« Reply #123 on: 28 Nov 2020, 04:07 pm »
Happy Holidays!
« Last Edit: 28 Nov 2020, 08:01 pm by VistaBlue »

jd3

« Reply #124 on: 28 Nov 2020, 05:40 pm »
I’ve got one of Dusty’s amps and it sounds great:  https://ciaudio.com/product/c•100s-2-channel-stereo-amplifier

I’ve also got a Hypex M502 based amp from March Audio:  https://www.marchaudio.net.au/p502

I’m very happy with both.  Both have front power switches.   Light, lots of power, and run cool.

sumoking

« Reply #125 on: 28 Nov 2020, 05:45 pm »
Clayton seems to favor the pair of Cherry Amp DTM's he's had in house for a long time. I have a Nord 5ch Hypex 502 amp here and it works well with the X5's. I've owned Atsah Hypex NC1200's, DiY NC400's, NC500's, and IcePower 1200AS2's.

If I were choosing today, I'd probably look at one of the myriad Purifi options, which all have customized input stages of many flavors, or Orchard Audio's Starkrimson GaN amps (direct 20% off sale through 12/10). Cherry Megaschino MK2 would be nice too, but it's $$$.

Due to the X3/X5's 97db spec, you want to avoid most higher gain amps, as the noise floor will become very apparent. The tube LTA UL is actually quieter than the Nord Hypex 502 in my system, go figure.

I have the Cherry DTM's at 400w a channel with the X3s and its dead quiet and sounds spectacular. You would be challenged to find a better sounding combination at double the price.

TomS

« Reply #126 on: 28 Nov 2020, 05:50 pm »
I have the Cherry DTM's at 400w a channel with the X3s and its dead quiet and sounds spectacular. You would be challenged to find a better sounding combination at double the price.
Just curious if you compared the 48v vs 60v DTM's or did you start at the King 60v version? Seems like the lower power would be plenty for the X series.

sumoking

« Reply #127 on: 28 Nov 2020, 06:27 pm »
Just curious if you compared the 48v vs 60v DTM's or did you start at the King 60v version? Seems like the lower power would be plenty for the X series.

The bottom line is that the amp sounds better with a 60v version. For a couple bucks more, why skimp a few bucks.  The X series will appreciate it. If money is a concern right now get the 48v and upgrade later. You will pay more in the long run though.

https://youtu.be/U4TpFf54ZzY

Add the DAC DAC for relatively little money and you have a magical combination.

morganc

« Reply #128 on: 28 Nov 2020, 06:45 pm »
I have the 2 Cherry and it's also amazing.  I have not heard the DTM. 

sumoking

« Reply #129 on: 28 Nov 2020, 06:52 pm »
I have the 2 Cherry and it's also amazing.  I have not heard the DTM.

I haven't heard the 2-Cherry, but even the STM sounds great at the starting point. As you go up, it gets a little better in increments. My understanding from Tommy is the DTM is just a tad better than the 2-Cherry.

Wig

« Reply #130 on: 28 Nov 2020, 07:13 pm »
At 97 Db efficiency, the Don Sachs Valhalla 30 WPC Integrated would be a magical combination depending upon room size and listening levels! Listen to the video again at the 1 hr 16 minute mark...

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=171745.20

Wig :green:

Big Red Machine

« Reply #131 on: 28 Nov 2020, 07:14 pm »
I still want higher power for the Wilsons and the Spatials. It will be months before they sell and I could play with them. SOme threads on Audiogon recommend nothing less than 250 wpc for any Class D.

morganc

« Reply #132 on: 28 Nov 2020, 07:19 pm »
I have both Don Sachs KT-88 which is better than the Valhalla and the DAC 2 Cherry.  Both are phenomenal choices.  The 2 Cherry is faster and a bit tighter in the bass.  Both are driven by the Don Sachs Pre.  Honestly they are a lot closer in performance than I ever would have imagined. 

Wig

« Reply #133 on: 28 Nov 2020, 07:20 pm »
I still want higher power for the Wilsons and the Spatials. It will be months before they sell and I could play with them. SOme threads on Audiogon recommend nothing less than 250 wpc for any Class D.

Outstanding line of speakers for sure and hope your Wilsons sell soon!

Wig :thumb:

Big Red Machine

« Reply #134 on: 28 Nov 2020, 07:51 pm »
WHat do you guys think of the Dragon?

http://www.rogueaudio.com/Products_Medusa.htm

Right now the D Sonic is the least expensive.

I would have to decide if I keep the LTA ZOTL pre or change that up.

sumoking

« Reply #135 on: 28 Nov 2020, 08:01 pm »
I have both Don Sachs KT-88 which is better than the Valhalla and the DAC 2 Cherry.  Both are phenomenal choices.  The 2 Cherry is faster and a bit tighter in the bass.  Both are driven by the Don Sachs Pre.  Honestly they are a lot closer in performance than I ever would have imagined.

And the DTM is better than the 2-Cherry and is like $2,500 vs $3,750. Then there are the tubes failing and needed to be tweaked etc.  Tubes can be magical though and I get it. The Don Sachs amp is supposed to be very good.  If anyone wants to send me theirs, I will do a shoot out and give an unbiased review. I am all about finding the best product for the cost. Cheers.

JTF

« Reply #136 on: 28 Nov 2020, 08:01 pm »
Big Red Machine, I'll add my 2 cents in, I've used a few of the amps you're looking at with my X5s. I had a Pass INT-30A I used with my X5s when I first got them, and then I replaced that with a pair of Cherry DTM monoblocks (for sale actually). If you're familiar with the sound of those class A Pass amps, the Cherries are a pretty good substitute, especially for class D. I find the Cherries get close enough to the smoothness of the Pass, but with a crispness to the sound that the Pass lacks.

I also have a few tube amps on hand that I use regularly. Overall, If I were forced to live with just one amp paired with the Spatials, I'd choose to keep a tube amp, maybe my Eaton 45. Even though it only has 2-3wpc, it's by far the best match to these speakers that I've heard so far, even at higher volumes.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #137 on: 28 Nov 2020, 08:06 pm »
what is a DTM?

TomS

« Reply #138 on: 28 Nov 2020, 08:09 pm »
I had both the Don Sachs Valhalla and the LTA UL with the X5's, both very good for my tastes, but I chose to keep the LTA. I was driving the UL directly from my DAC, though now I have the upgraded LTA Level 2 preamp back in the chain. I hope to try some other solid state amps besides the Nord as well.

TomS

« Reply #139 on: 28 Nov 2020, 08:09 pm »
what is a DTM?
Desk Top Maraschino (Cherry Amp)