USB vs coaxial

schmidtmike76

USB vs coaxial
« on: 3 Nov 2016, 03:04 pm »
Any thoughts compared USB vs coax coming out from a digital player into Bryston dac.  I seen in the Pi manual that USB could be superior any thoughts

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
Re: USB vs coaxial
« Reply #1 on: 3 Nov 2016, 04:23 pm »
The short answer: Trust your ears.

schmidtmike76

« Reply #2 on: 3 Nov 2016, 04:30 pm »
I ordered a cardas serial bus USB the clear shoots from 250 to 600 couldn't justify it.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #3 on: 3 Nov 2016, 06:03 pm »
Any thoughts compared USB vs coax coming out from a digital player into Bryston dac.  I seen in the Pi manual that USB could be superior any thoughts

As 'Mouse said -- Listen first, decide for yourself.

Personally, I would never spend more than $60 for a USB 0.5m cable. Furutech Formula-2 is well-built and can be bought for about that amount.

zoom25

« Reply #4 on: 3 Nov 2016, 06:24 pm »
Has anyone so far actually compared the sound of BDP-pi against BDP-1/2?

witchdoctor

« Reply #5 on: 5 Nov 2016, 06:10 pm »
Let us know how you like the new USB cable.

schmidtmike76

« Reply #6 on: 5 Nov 2016, 06:20 pm »
I will do.  The cable should be here in a few weeks.

AG

« Reply #7 on: 3 Jan 2017, 01:41 pm »
I did compare the USB vs coaxial. As far as I understand the USB path is a shorter one and it bypasses the internal sound card. In my setup the USB sounds very lean, flat,uncoloured,undistorted,may be too sterile in some systems. The coaxial sound has more meat on the bone with more colours, punchier drums,more distortion.
I prefer the punchier,thicker presentation with rich,colourful sound even if it comes  with higher distortion-at least to my ears
I guess the studio engineers  prefer the USB sound which is the more accurate/flat of the two.
Hope this helps

AG
BDP-2,BDA-2,4BSST2,BP26,Pass Labs XP10,X350.5,Dynaudio C4,DH labs Q10,silver sonic XLR, Kimber AGDL
« Last Edit: 4 Jan 2017, 04:23 pm by AG »

schmidtmike76

« Reply #8 on: 3 Jan 2017, 03:07 pm »
Thanks for that input I stuck to coax and sold my USB without listening to it.  Im using Nordost blue heaven right now, I find it a bit lean but lighting fast and clean

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #9 on: 3 Jan 2017, 05:02 pm »
Im using Nordost blue heaven right now, I find it a bit lean but lighting fast and clean

That's a nicely built cable. I used the BNC version for a while, between BDP / BDA. Good improvement over a Canare cable, but not as full as a Cardas Parsec BNC, which is priced similarly.

Happy New Year.

AG

« Reply #10 on: 3 Jan 2017, 06:05 pm »
I got the best sound with Kimber AGDL
I have tried DH labs D-750 but it sounded too thick in my set up

AG

BDP-2,BDA-2,4BSST2,BP26,Pass Labs XP10,X350.5,Dynaudio C4,DH labs Q10,silver sonic XLR, Kimber AGDL
« Last Edit: 3 Jan 2017, 09:40 pm by AG »

schmidtmike76

« Reply #11 on: 3 Jan 2017, 06:11 pm »
I could use more bottom end and more thickness in the middle, the speed and detail of the Bryston along with the Focal 1027's could use some help down below.  Ill look into that Kimber I know my dealer has that line.

racerxnet

« Reply #12 on: 4 Jan 2017, 04:48 pm »
I got the best sound with Kimber AGDL
I have tried DH labs D-750 but it sounded too thick in my set up

AG

I got the best sound with purchasing the best speakers I could afford, and best suited for my room and tastes. I made sure the amplification was capable as well. Room treatments were also a big benefit. REW software is FREE and useful. I can never understand why someone would tune their sound with cables. It just does not make sense when the speaker/room interaction has the biggest influence over all the other parameters. :duh:  Genesis 1.2 speakers, Bryston 2 x 7bsst, BP25, Tri-Vista 21 DAC, Jkenny streamer, Genesis servo amp, home built pc, foobar .083, and some cheap a$$ Blue Jeans cables. Just in case you wanted to know..

It sounds glorious!

MAK

schmidtmike76

« Reply #13 on: 5 Jan 2017, 01:44 am »
Cables do have sound characteristics.  I would call it fine tuning

AG

« Reply #14 on: 5 Jan 2017, 07:40 am »
+1

I couldn't agree more

Yes that's exactly what I do. If you have already chosen the right electronics,done the room treatment what else left to do? Fine tune your system with the matching cables.

Dave Jameson

« Reply #15 on: 5 Jan 2017, 05:28 pm »
Before toying around with expensive cables, you should always adjust your system within the room until you have a good--even-- sense of "energy" from all frequencies. Otherwise "tuning" with cables can yield pretty weird results. But of course your mileage may vary and if you're happy with your results, so be it....but I agree with MAK, your room is way more influential than any cable :)

witchdoctor

« Reply #16 on: 14 Jul 2017, 02:28 pm »
I got the best sound with purchasing the best speakers I could afford, and best suited for my room and tastes. I made sure the amplification was capable as well. Room treatments were also a big benefit. REW software is FREE and useful. I can never understand why someone would tune their sound with cables. It just does not make sense when the speaker/room interaction has the biggest influence over all the other parameters. :duh:  Genesis 1.2 speakers, Bryston 2 x 7bsst, BP25, Tri-Vista 21 DAC, Jkenny streamer, Genesis servo amp, home built pc, foobar .083, and some cheap a$$ Blue Jeans cables. Just in case you wanted to know..

It sounds glorious!

MAK

Excuse me but how much are the Genesis 1.2 speakers? This ad says $300K?

https://www.higherfi.com/speakers/genesis-12

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #17 on: 14 Jul 2017, 04:11 pm »
Thanks for that input I stuck to coax and sold my USB without listening to it.  Im using Nordost blue heaven right now, I find it a bit lean but lighting fast and clean

yup, the Nordost house sound. Lean and fast

charles

gbaby

« Reply #18 on: 14 Jul 2017, 09:02 pm »
Excuse me but how much are the Genesis 1.2 speakers? This ad says $300K?

https://www.higherfi.com/speakers/genesis-12

You answered your own question. :lol:

witchdoctor

« Reply #19 on: 14 Jul 2017, 09:35 pm »
You answered your own question. :lol:

I thought it might have been a typo. Can you post a pic of your system please? They must need a lot of space to really open up.