where to position the subs?

bakufu

where to position the subs?
« on: 4 Dec 2021, 12:51 am »
i've not had much success attempting to integrate a pair of deep-hemp 10 subs with my super alnico high-output XRS's.  figuring that the problem might be that the room i had them was just too large (50' x 20' x 30' -- yeah, it's a monster) i moved everything to my downstairs listening room.  i'm driving them with a line magnetic 210IA 300B amplifier (8 w/ch).

i'll spend the next few days trying different arrangements, but i'd be interested in hearing how others would tackle the problem.

unfortunately, this amp doesn't have a preamp-out, so i have to use some other method.  the maim speakers are on the 4 ohm outputs, so i suppose i can run the subs from those outputs as well using spades, or i can use the 2 or 8 ohm outputs.  will that work?  i think i can also run cables from the main speakers as well, but i'm not sure if this will work.  (i have limited experience with subs.)

opinions and advice welcome.

i have to say (but it's not news, is it?) that louis does gorgeous cabinet work:

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
Re: where to position the subs?
« Reply #1 on: 4 Dec 2021, 01:53 am »
Not sure about how to go about speaker level connection choices with that amp.

In terms of location, the standard is the "sub crawl".  You'd do best by googling that to get the real deal instructions.  With one sub, the simple answer is to put it in the listening position.  You crawl around the room to find where it is the loudest.  That's where the sub should go.  Practicalities often make the second or third choice the winner.  With two subs, more complicated but there are instructions available. 

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 4 Dec 2021, 01:20 pm »
Floyd Toole, well respected acoustician, recommends 4 subwoofers, either in the corners or midway along the walls in a rectangular room to tame inherent room induced bass peaks/dips.  Refer to either edition of his book "Sound Reproduction". 

bakufu

« Reply #3 on: 4 Dec 2021, 03:32 pm »
thanks for the tips.

after a day experimenting i've concluded that i just can't make these work in my system.  that's not a terrible outcome, since unaided the XRS's supply what i regard as the essential bass foundation for two-channel music.  moreover, more than half my listening consists of small-ensemble acoustic jazz, vocals, and chamber and instrumental music.  i think they would work better in a home-theater setup.

so over the next few days i'll put these up for sale in the appropriate channel, but if anyone here wants to jump on them, you can DM me.

(these are the deep-hemp 10's, not the 8's.)