Using a silicone stylus cleaner? Beware!

twitch54

Re: Using a silicone stylus cleaner? Beware!
« Reply #20 on: 30 Nov 2021, 06:30 pm »
c.'90, Linn dealers said Linn recommends using the flint from a book of matches. Anyone here know if this is still their advice?

what is the 'flint' from a book of matches ?

audio.bill

« Reply #21 on: 30 Nov 2021, 11:59 pm »
what is the 'flint' from a book of matches ?
The black abrasive strip at the bottom of a match book that you strike the match against to light it.

twitch54

« Reply #22 on: 1 Dec 2021, 02:21 am »
The black abrasive strip at the bottom of a match book that you strike the match against to light it.

Ok, wow, so based on the link I provided and the magnified images of the actual 'gunk' on the stylus the matchbook flint idea ranks right up there with 'pure stupidity' !

audio.bill

« Reply #23 on: 1 Dec 2021, 01:30 pm »
Ok, wow, so based on the link I provided and the magnified images of the actual 'gunk' on the stylus the matchbook flint idea ranks right up there with 'pure stupidity' !
Just to be clear I was only answering your question as to what the flint was referring to, not recommending its use for stylus cleaning. However I do recall Linn dealers supplying some fine sandpaper many years ago for cleaning styli, not sure if that's still their recommended procedure.

twitch54

« Reply #24 on: 1 Dec 2021, 02:54 pm »
Just to be clear I was only answering your question as to what the flint was referring to, not recommending its use for stylus cleaning. However I do recall Linn dealers supplying some fine sandpaper many years ago for cleaning styli, not sure if that's still their recommended procedure.

understood Bill !

orthobiz

« Reply #25 on: 2 Dec 2021, 12:06 am »
My Linn dealer gave me a couple of strips of green paper, very mild abrasive. Like going through the car wash every day, I don't know how bad it can be if used too frequently, I use mine every once in a while. Start in the back and pull forward. Turn the speaker down. My Linn dealer also likes Silly Putty, haven't seen that mentioned yet...

Paul

sunnydaze

« Reply #26 on: 2 Dec 2021, 04:28 am »
.....My Linn dealer also likes Silly Putty, haven't seen that mentioned yet...

Paul

Blu-Tak has been mentioned.  A few times.  Similar product, same technique = drop the stylus onto it a few times and pull off the gunk.

RPM123

« Reply #27 on: 2 Dec 2021, 08:21 pm »
Well, Michael Fremer has posted more information from Wally Tools re: stylus cleaners and residue, along with reader comments. Enjoy!  :wink:

https://www.analogplanet.com/content/time-put-away-onzow-zerodust

https://www.analogplanet.com/content/zerodust-saga-continues