Question About using a Power Tranny with Two 6.3v Secondaries for Tube Amp

Ericus Rex

I'm guessing the original intent of this trans is 6v tubes and 6v tube rectifier.  My project will use SS rectification.  Would there be any pros, or cons, to using one of these secondaries for the power tubes and the other for the input tube?  It's a 3 tube SE design, one 6DJ8 and two 6BQ5s.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
I'm guessing the original intent of this trans is 6v tubes and 6v tube rectifier.  My project will use SS rectification.  Would there be any pros, or cons, to using one of these secondaries for the power tubes and the other for the input tube?  It's a 3 tube SE design, one 6DJ8 and two 6BQ5s.
Would be useful discover the amperage value from the transformer to see if it will have capacity to drive the 6DJ8, which are small only 365mA. Tube rect tubes eat a lot of energy from the transformer.

Ericus Rex

Each of the 6.3V secondaries is rated at 3A.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
It will be a very robust transformer, the 6DJ8 are rated only 0.365A.

Drrick007

No problem, but check the voltage at the tube socket. With that much excess current capacity you may need a low value resistor to get the voltage down to 6.3 VA|.

Peace,
Rick

mgalusha

No problem, but check the voltage at the tube socket. With that much excess current capacity you may need a low value resistor to get the voltage down to 6.3 VA|.

+1, you may need a small resistor in series to drop the heater voltage.