More Amazing DACs for Peanuts

fredgarvin

Re: More Amazing DACs for Peanuts
« Reply #80 on: 28 Sep 2017, 03:28 pm »
Gotta read those one star reviews. I never buy something with more than 8% one star unless absolutely necessary.

I hold out for 7%. Much more reliable.  :thumb:

karnana

« Reply #81 on: 28 Sep 2017, 03:50 pm »
I have one, but it doesn't work.  Reading online it seems people only got usb otg to work with their oneplus 2 using a micro usb to a female cable and then an adapter for usb c to microusb so they could use the other cable.  something to do with the oneplus pinout

Your problem might be related to your phones Android version.

uncola

« Reply #82 on: 28 Sep 2017, 04:01 pm »
android 6 :(

JDUBS

« Reply #83 on: 28 Sep 2017, 06:19 pm »
The problem with that cable is that it doesn't use a ground.  This isn't a problem on portable devices but when you connect the Da3 to a HOME preamp...you might get a hum.

This is the type of cable I'm picking up:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Dyson-Audio-Gotham-Astell-amp-Kern-2-5mm-TRRS-Balanced-XLR-Output-Cable-1-0M-/112479651224?nma=true&si=SlgTnGTTwThh7h2M3DbuyIyR8NI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Uses a common ground which isn't ideal, but better than none (and shouldn't hum).

-Jim

Ok, got the Dyson cable and it works perfectly well!  Just tried it out, but so far so good.

$50 shipped.  Great deal.

-Jim

JDUBS

« Reply #86 on: 29 Sep 2017, 01:36 pm »

So you plug in both the 2.5 and the 3.5mm?

Yep.  The only purposes of the 3.5mm is to grab its ground.  There's no ground on that 2.5mm output.

-Jim

ksbruce

« Reply #87 on: 29 Sep 2017, 08:16 pm »
Yep.  The only purposes of the 3.5mm is to grab its ground.  There's no ground on that 2.5mm output.

-Jim

Interesting.. Thanks!!

Sebilion

« Reply #88 on: 30 Sep 2017, 02:11 pm »
I switched from lg v20 to samsung galaxy note 8 and I am very disappointed with the new audio quality. I use some cheap 3 driver earphones the uiisii t8s. They are good but I need more. I need better mids and more bsss, I listen to metal and rock music so the sound I need is hard to find. Anyway, I was looking to get the LZ a4 and combine it with the sabaj da2. The problem is that I can't find emoiaze reviews for either product so all is speculation. My main concern is the sabaj da2, is it the same build quality as the smsl idea? Because it's quite cheaper. I want to be sure I'll buy something that'll last. Any suggestions?

*Scotty*

« Reply #89 on: 30 Sep 2017, 04:34 pm »
Go to the Google play store and download USB Audio Player Pro.
It may solve a lot of your problems. It is the best audio player for Android that I have found.
See link for more information.
http://www.extreamsd.com/index.php/products/usb-audio-player-pro
Scotty

JDUBS

« Reply #90 on: 3 Oct 2017, 01:57 am »
Curious what folks are using for power.  I picked up an iDefender and an iPower 5v. Unfortunately, the combo didn't work for me.  I mean, they both worked fine separately, but the Sabaj wouldn't power on with the iPower connected.  I tested the output voltage and it was right at 5.2v....so maybe the Sabaj didn't like the voltage that high.

Anyway, I returned the iPower and am looking for another solution (that's closer to right at 5v).

-Jim

uncola

« Reply #91 on: 4 Oct 2017, 02:08 pm »
I got my new phone with android 7.1.1 and micro-usb and a micro-usb to usb A female otg cable and the da3 works perfectly!
I even have dsd working.  It's definitely a big improvement in quality and loudness headroom over the built in headphone
jack.
here's a video showing it
https://youtu.be/cRS9AcaE7es

uncola

« Reply #92 on: 7 Oct 2017, 06:43 am »
my balanced 2.5mm to dual 3pin xlr cable arrived and it looks great, but there's some kind of weird treble distortion or something..  I'll have to test further

JDUBS

« Reply #93 on: 8 Oct 2017, 03:17 am »
I have a Paul Hynes 5v SR3 power supply coming to me.  I also found a Paul Pang USB card that I can "inject" the 5v from this power supply into.  I'll try this method as well as via the iFi iDefender.

Will be reporting back.

-Jim

karnana

« Reply #94 on: 8 Oct 2017, 04:08 pm »
I got my new phone with android 7.1.1 and micro-usb and a micro-usb to usb A female otg cable and the da3 works perfectly!
I even have dsd working.  It's definitely a big improvement in quality and loudness headroom over the built in headphone
jack.
here's a video showing it
https://youtu.be/cRS9AcaE7es
No issue when changing to other apps? Youtube etc? If that's true than Da3 is a true winner. Still waiting for mine as an upgrade from fiio e6.

shadowlight

« Reply #95 on: 8 Oct 2017, 08:25 pm »
Couple of questions:
1) What do I need to order for Da3 if I want to hook it up to desktop computer and speakers?  I am assuming it comes standard with USB cable.  Will I need anything else?
2) Any one aware of any cheap dac based on AKM chip with similar specs?

bixby

« Reply #96 on: 14 Oct 2017, 11:24 pm »
Is the DA-3 any better sounding than the Fiio K-1?

uncola

« Reply #97 on: 16 Oct 2017, 11:54 pm »
shadowlight if your desktop speakers use rca input you'll need a 3.5mm trs to dual rca cable like this http://ghentaudio.com/part/b01.html

JDUBS

« Reply #98 on: 17 Oct 2017, 05:15 am »
2) Any one aware of any cheap dac based on AKM chip with similar specs?

Why?

-Jim

shadowlight

« Reply #99 on: 17 Oct 2017, 03:49 pm »
shadowlight if your desktop speakers use rca input you'll need a 3.5mm trs to dual rca cable like this http://ghentaudio.com/part/b01.html

Thank you, I was planning to use it with AudioEngine speakers.

Why?

-Jim

Two reason.  One is that I have yet to listen to an AKM based implementation and other is that so far all of the ESS based DAC I have heard I have found them to be bit bright