Re: kNIFE SHARPENERS
« Reply #40 on: 24 May 2019, 12:25 am »
Is that thing electric?  :o

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #41 on: 24 May 2019, 01:14 am »
I use a course steel and a fine steel. Both are about 12" long. They work great. 

jhm731

« Reply #42 on: 24 May 2019, 01:29 am »
Is that thing electric?  :o

Yes.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #43 on: 24 May 2019, 03:18 am »
I use a course steel and a fine steel. Both are about 12" long. They work great. 

I like that bottom knife!

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #44 on: 24 May 2019, 04:07 am »
You need one of those, Bob.   Your santoku is a great all round knife, but for chopping vege's a nakiri is made to fly. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-NZo_4c_5Y

tonyptony

« Reply #45 on: 24 May 2019, 11:12 am »
Late to the party. I bought an Edge Pro "Pro 3" kit and slowly learning how to use it. Right now I'm having a little bit of a consistency problem. Some knives come out great, others not as good as I would like. I'm using the Sharpie method to find the right native angle on the blade, but I guess I just need more practice. I plan to replace the stones with Shaptons sometime soon. So far I'm glad I bought it - even the blades that come out not as sharp as I'd like are still better than when I was using those electric machines you find in the retail kitchen stores.

S Clark

« Reply #46 on: 24 May 2019, 12:16 pm »
Late to the party. I bought an Edge Pro "Pro 3" kit and slowly learning how to use it. Right now I'm having a little bit of a consistency problem. Some knives come out great, others not as good as I would like. I'm using the Sharpie method to find the right native angle on the blade, but I guess I just need more practice. I plan to replace the stones with Shaptons sometime soon. So far I'm glad I bought it - even the blades that come out not as sharp as I'd like are still better than when I was using those electric machines you find in the retail kitchen stores.
Did you buy the optional "stop" collar?  It makes working with an edgepro much more consistent. 
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/5drstcowhexk.html
With the stop collar, you don't have to adjust for variations in thickness of different stones as you move up your stone progression. 
Other than that, make sure you flatten your stones periodically. 

tonyptony

« Reply #47 on: 24 May 2019, 12:35 pm »
Not yet. That's also on my list of things to buy.

asliarun

« Reply #48 on: 24 May 2019, 06:04 pm »
I like that bottom knife!

I have the Dojo Hayashi 165mm nakiri. It is a sandwich construction - there is an inner core of high carbon AS or Aogami Super steel, which is clad on both sides with stainless. For $75, I can't complain. It really does a good job of getting sharp and staying sharp. Doesn't win awards in looks though.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/dojousuba165mm.html

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #49 on: 24 May 2019, 06:25 pm »
I've sharpened about a hundred knives on my Wicked Edge system, I find that the knives aren't any sharper than when I started, but rather I am a LOT faster :lol:

I got the travel version back in the day as it's very portable, I just use a C-clamp to clamp it down to whatever table I happen to be at.  Then I sharpen using 100/200 and then jump to 800/1000 to sharpen.  I mostly do work knives (kitchen) so I don't try to put a polish on the blade.  Polished blades look great but I find that leaving a few microscopic 'teeth' on the edge gives the best result when cutting things like tomatoes or meat. 

I do think their new version of the "Pro" sharpening system looks very cool too:

lewdogg

« Reply #50 on: 24 May 2019, 06:25 pm »
Is there a knife-lovers thread around here??? My stone progression is Chosera 400/800/3000, Uchigumori J-Nat

S Clark

« Reply #51 on: 24 May 2019, 06:38 pm »
 :o

mcgsxr

« Reply #52 on: 24 May 2019, 07:04 pm »
Of the horizontal group of 4 on the right - those with the mottled looking blades.  I don’t know what that is, but I LOVE that look. 

SoCalWJS

« Reply #53 on: 24 May 2019, 08:19 pm »
Is there a knife-lovers thread around here??? My stone progression is Chosera 400/800/3000, Uchigumori J-Nat

That is a very impressive collection of Knives! You are either quite the enthusiast or do cooking at a very serious level (Professional Chef?).

Do you sharpen them yourself? If so, what do you use?

S Clark

« Reply #54 on: 24 May 2019, 09:19 pm »
He listed the Chosera stones and the Japanese natural polishing stone.  That should take him to as fine an edge as he could want. 
Jeez, what is that? 18-19 Gyutos?

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #55 on: 24 May 2019, 10:50 pm »
Holy Mother of Knives !  :o

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #56 on: 9 Jun 2019, 05:51 am »
That's actually a few more than I have! :thumb: