Electra tube connector installation instructions.

Danny Richie

Re: Electra tube connector installation instructions.
« Reply #40 on: 22 May 2019, 02:22 pm »
Off topic question Danny, are you running the Folsom amp off a 12V battery? If so did you compare it to the Folsom power supply?  I have the Folsom power supply but have considered modifying it for battery power.  I seem to recall Folsom stating that you need 19 volts to get the best out of it but I don’t currently have a good 24vdc charging solution.

Best,
Ed

I A/B compared the Folsom amp on a battery and on the power supply. I also still power a pair of mono-blocks using that same chip using a battery.

With the Folsom amp I got a little bit better sound from the battery.

My problem with plugging anything into the wall is how different any device can sound with different power cables and power conditioning. 

And then whatever combination works best here at my house my not be the best combination when I go to a show.

And the best sound that I got with the Folsom amp on the power supply used a pricey power cable to an Uber Buss, to another pricey power cable, to a Dodd Audio balanced power supply, then another pricey power cable. There was almost $3,000 worth of gear in front of it. And then I got better sound from a $220 100 amp hour Power Sonic battery.

And the 14 volt power from the battery gave up nothing to the higher voltage power supply. The power levels and output were about the same. 

ebag4

« Reply #41 on: 22 May 2019, 11:30 pm »
Thanks Danny, I still have a couple of the Powersonic 100ah batts, I think I will give it a shot.

I didn’t realize this was a sticky thread, feel free to remove my off topic posts.

Best,
Ed

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #42 on: 23 May 2019, 12:00 am »
Just to be clear, are you running Jeremy's amp or the Chinese TDA 7297 pair that you modded?   Although they both use the same chip, one runs on 12V and the other on  20+V

Danny Richie

« Reply #43 on: 23 May 2019, 12:54 pm »
Just to be clear, are you running Jeremy's amp or the Chinese TDA 7297 pair that you modded?   Although they both use the same chip, one runs on 12V and the other on  20+V

I've had both. And I compared the two and compared the Folsom version with the power supply and a battery.

214bobd

« Reply #44 on: 4 Dec 2019, 10:04 pm »
Will AWG 12 cable work just fine with these?

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #45 on: 4 Dec 2019, 10:57 pm »
Will AWG 12 cable work just fine with these?

Yes

Mike

birkbott

« Reply #46 on: 10 Dec 2019, 09:58 pm »
Terminate them with the male studs that come with a set of tube connectors. They are easy to install too. They are hollow all the way to the tip so it gets your speaker wire into the speaker and right up against the internal wire.  :thumb:

You can also use standard banana plugs as they fit perfectly too.

Thanks for specifying this, I was worried about what to do if I ever needed to change speaker cables or length.

Danny Richie

« Reply #47 on: 11 Dec 2019, 02:38 am »
Thanks for specifying this, I was worried about what to do if I ever needed to change speaker cables or length.

We can also sell you just the male ends for $3.00 each.

JeanDoute

Electra Tube Connectors in Europe?
« Reply #48 on: 11 Dec 2019, 12:56 pm »
Who distributes Electra tube connectors in Europe?

Danny Richie

Re: Electra Tube Connectors in Europe?
« Reply #49 on: 11 Dec 2019, 02:14 pm »
Who distributes Electra tube connectors in Europe?

Just order whatever you need from us and we can mail them to you.

Vintagevinyl

« Reply #50 on: 24 Jul 2020, 11:20 am »
Thanks. Good tutorial.

hallcon83

« Reply #51 on: 20 Oct 2020, 04:47 pm »
Hi Danny, Can I use Tube connectors on a bi-wired/ bi-amped speaker - normally there are Two sets of binding posts , one set above the other... and when not bi-amping , or bi-wiring , there is just a set of wires I made that connect the bottom set of posts to the top set of posts.... But I'm not sure how you could do it with tube connectors??

Thank you, Dean

Danny Richie

« Reply #52 on: 20 Oct 2020, 07:22 pm »
Hi Danny, Can I use Tube connectors on a bi-wired/ bi-amped speaker - normally there are Two sets of binding posts , one set above the other... and when not bi-amping , or bi-wiring , there is just a set of wires I made that connect the bottom set of posts to the top set of posts.... But I'm not sure how you could do it with tube connectors??

Thank you, Dean

No problem, just add a second set.

hallcon83

« Reply #53 on: 25 Oct 2020, 03:28 pm »
Hi, what I don't understand is how you would connect the top and the bottom set of tube connectors together if you are just running one amplifier - the male ends would need to either have a 45 degree entrance or allow a second set of connectors to slide into the back of them, So you could loop the wire to the second set of tube connectors ....  ( please see other examples below )

-----------------

so I usually use a bare wire on a 5 way binding post -

other people use a Bar connector -

---------------------------------------

Here are some examples for Banana type connectors ---

these use a 45 degree attachment point

Klei stacks their connectors

1 -

2 -

-------------------------------

here are two other ways some do it ...

1 -

2 -

----------------

Any ideas - thank you

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #54 on: 25 Oct 2020, 04:21 pm »
Assuming you don't plan to ever bi-wire/bi-amp:

You can leave one set stock, and replace the other with tube connectors.

Then on the inside, you have both sets of crossovers & binding post cables all twisted together feeding into the tube connectors.

That way there's no need for the extra connections, and you can A-B both connectors to hear the differences directly.

I did something similar with my XLS tho they're not bi-wire capable, but the process works the same, but just replacing one pair rather than drilling new holes.

Hope that makes sense!  :thumb:

hallcon83

« Reply #55 on: 26 Oct 2020, 11:19 am »
-  Hi Hobbs , Thank you for the Ideas, but I really want to leave the option open to be able to Bi-Amp or not Bi-Amp...

- I really hope another idea shows up... I have another friend with the same issue and I wanted to recommend Tube Connectors to him too.

---  I do have one other idea on how to do the same thing as the Tube Connectors but will make the speaker cables that run to my speakers unable to be used with other speakers that I have....

Best regards,

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #56 on: 26 Oct 2020, 03:37 pm »
-  Hi Hobbs , Thank you for the Ideas, but I really want to leave the option open to be able to Bi-Amp or not Bi-Amp...

- I really hope another idea shows up... I have another friend with the same issue and I wanted to recommend Tube Connectors to him too.

---  I do have one other idea on how to do the same thing as the Tube Connectors but will make the speaker cables that run to my speakers unable to be used with other speakers that I have....

Best regards,

Ah okay that definitely changes some things & I think the solution depends on your cables.

You would have to replace all 4 posts with tube connectors, and depending on your cables, have them terminate into forked ends, or like one of your above examples, have a smaller cable coming from the main connection, & terminating into the 2nd set of connectors.

It just depends on how willing you are to mod both your speakers and cables.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #57 on: 26 Oct 2020, 03:42 pm »
I wonder if this is such a good idea in the long run. Speakers change owners.  If someone were to try to biamp Hobbs speakers not realizing both pairs are connected it could cause problems.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #58 on: 26 Oct 2020, 03:56 pm »
I wonder if this is such a good idea in the long run. Speakers change owners.  If someone were to try to biamp Hobbs speakers not realizing both pairs are connected it could cause problems.

And thats a fair point, esp if they are modified retail speakers.
Its likely not going to be something most people will understand outside of this forum/Danny's customers

I went with my approach since it allows for A/B comparisons, and freedom of connection use.

Tho considering that most bi-amp capable speakers usually will have 4 terminals within the same cup, with my XLS having two separate pairs of connectors that look quite different, & are located separately.. but the typical user might not understand that and cause problems for the speakers, amps, or both.

I dont plan to sell my speakers tho. :P

Dpoteat

« Reply #59 on: 4 Jan 2021, 04:40 pm »
Question: I know these are the best connection when you have to have some kind of post, but would there be any benefit to speaker wires directly attached?  Like your 24 strand version soldered directly to the crossover?

Also, what is the best connection for on the amp end? Banana? Bare wire?