Dac-60 Sonic Craft mods

Danny Richie

Re: Dac-60 Sonic Craft mods
« Reply #20 on: 12 Mar 2007, 09:16 pm »
You can order them now. Stage 1 mods are available. Call to order.

Jon L

« Reply #21 on: 12 Mar 2007, 10:11 pm »
On top of those mods we will also offer a USB interface that can be added to any version of the unit. Just don't ask when it will be available. I don't know. Whenever Jeff (Sonic Craft) gets finished with it.

Here's hoping Sonic Craft is working on USB-I2S-1704 chip implementation instead of the usual USB-spdif-spdif receiver-1704 implementation  :thankyou:

Danny Richie

« Reply #22 on: 13 Mar 2007, 12:43 am »
IS2 direct. No SPDIF.

JDUBS

« Reply #23 on: 13 Mar 2007, 01:51 am »
IS2 direct. No SPDIF.

Danny, this will be a killer DAC!!  :D

jmourik

« Reply #24 on: 13 Mar 2007, 04:07 am »
I compared the dac60 to a PS Audio dlIII today. The dac60 is a slightly modded version, mods done by the owner. I found them very comparable, hardly any difference. I'm hoping the stage 1 mods take the dac60 past the dlIII. I ordered the dac60 today...

HChi

« Reply #25 on: 30 Apr 2007, 12:51 pm »
IS2 direct. No SPDIF.

Danny,
Is DAC 60 with stage 1 mod and USB I2S implementation ready yet? If so, how much will it be?  If not, is there any projected release date?

Thanks.

Danny Richie

« Reply #26 on: 30 Apr 2007, 12:57 pm »
Stage 1 mods are available and kicking butt. The USB is still in the works, but getting close. I really can't set a date as it is not within my hands. Jeff says it is close though and a few weeks out. We are also debating whether to add that input in place of the fiber octave input or add it in addition to that input and have to add a new switching mechanism.

HChi

« Reply #27 on: 2 May 2007, 06:16 pm »
... We are also debating whether to add that input in place of the fiber octave input or add it in addition to that input and have to add a new switching mechanism.

Danny, thanks for the update.   I personally won't miss out much if the optic connector is replaced by the USB I2S.  If it is not going to increase the cost substantially and a high quality, non-sonic compromising switching mechanism is added, it will be good to add another or two digital RCA inputs to grant switching among multiple sources (i.e. DTV receiver, PS2/PS3, etc).

Loftprojection

« Reply #28 on: 2 May 2007, 07:02 pm »
My Paradisea DAC has a BNC, an RCA and an optical input.  It's quite fun to have all those because I can use the BNC with my Squeezebox, the RCA with my tv decoder and the optical with my DVD player.  So, IMO, if you can leave the optical without too much cost then it's a value add option! 

PLMONROE

« Reply #29 on: 2 May 2007, 08:13 pm »
Do you anticipate that your level 3 mod will surpass Steve N.'s mods?

Danny Richie

« Reply #30 on: 2 May 2007, 08:48 pm »
Obviously the goal of the stage 3 mod is to outperform anything at any price point.

PLMONROE

« Reply #31 on: 2 May 2007, 09:28 pm »
Thank you and hurry up and get'er dun!  :thumb:

Danny Richie

« Reply #32 on: 2 May 2007, 09:53 pm »
Stage 2 and stage 3 mods should be completed by the end of this month.

Loftprojection

« Reply #33 on: 3 May 2007, 12:15 am »
Obviously the goal of the stage 3 mod is to outperform anything at any price point.

Hum, for some reason this sounds good.  Hopefully the price point is still below all the price point it will outperform!   :icon_lol:   :thumb:

Danny Richie

« Reply #34 on: 3 May 2007, 12:22 am »
Hopefully the price point is still below all the price point it will outperform!

That is a goal as well. In fact it will be well under the fore mentioned (easily less than half).

PLMONROE

« Reply #35 on: 3 May 2007, 01:10 pm »
Hopefully the price point is still below all the price point it will outperform!

That is a goal as well. In fact it will be well under the fore mentioned (easily less than half).

I failed to find the fore mentioned price which makes dividing by two a bit difficult. Did I miss something as to its projected cost?

Danny Richie

« Reply #36 on: 3 May 2007, 01:32 pm »
The afore mentioned DAC was mentioned by you. It's price is shown here in a review.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/empirical2/spoiler.html

PLMONROE

« Reply #37 on: 3 May 2007, 08:47 pm »
The afore mentioned DAC was mentioned by you. It's price is shown here in a review.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/empirical2/spoiler.html

BIG error in communication! Danny I misinterpreted your statement saying that it would come in at less than half, as pertaining to some past previous price projection by you. And this I was searaching for in vein. In reality you were saying it could come in at half (or less), of the price of Steve's. That's a good deal! Sorry for the misunderstanding. :oops:

rbrb

« Reply #38 on: 15 May 2007, 04:37 pm »
I'm still sitting on the fence waiting for a USB-IS2 input.  Will the input be offered as a retrofit for current units or factory ordered?

Danny Richie

« Reply #39 on: 15 May 2007, 06:42 pm »
If you didn't order your DAC-60 with the USB port input it can be added on later.