The Concert DVD/BR thread

JoshK

Re: The Concert DVD/BR thread
« Reply #20 on: 15 Jun 2016, 12:56 am »
Watching Riverside - Reality Dream DVD.   Really good.  PQ pretty good, angles are awesome, looks like a smokey venue from wider angles.  SQ and performance are pretty awesome.    I got to see them live last fall and super glad I did!   I was so in awe over Piotr's guitar that I looked it up and ordered it from Poland!   Before the guitar arrived (custom made ~6mos) it was announced that Piotr died of a cardiac arrest after attending a show with Mike Portnoy.

JoshK

« Reply #21 on: 19 Jun 2016, 02:41 am »
Not giving up on this thread yet.  Watching Amon Amarth - Wrath of the Norsemen.    It apparently has over 7 hours of footage.   I am not watching all of that, but the first disc is a 2 hour concert with 23 songs or something like that.   PQ is a bit dated, not terrible, just not what you expect on a more modern release.  SQ is pretty good, a bit too compressed as it always, but the performance is top notch.

P.S. I saw them like in February, it was a show that I had modest expectations and they really blew me away.   

drummermitchell

« Reply #22 on: 19 Jun 2016, 03:00 am »
Good someone mentioned Jeff Beck(Live at Ronnie Scott's) excellent
                                       Eagles Live in Melbourne Tour I superb video and audio
                                       Fleetwoodmac The Dance is good also
First two are excellent I use a 128" studiotek 100 so that helps on the visual with vc rs-600 projector
audio side bryston power...28s 7's ect with an 1812 sub so it's show Time.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #23 on: 19 Jun 2016, 03:05 am »
Back in 1990, Roger Waters put on a show in Berlin. Not just a "concert", but the single most epic piece of musical showmanship I've ever seen.
I can't fathom the logistics to pull something like this off. Especially a quarter century ago.
The stage was what.. a mile wide? Complete with a convoy of military vehicles going across stage, audience participation, an all star cast... it has it all.
Except the video quality we've come to expect now days.  :(

Here's part one of the video: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xjy3n7_roger-waters-the-wall-live-in-berlin-1990-part-1-of-2_music

Here's the DVD album cover. This is my single most prized of all DVDs I own.

JoshK

« Reply #24 on: 19 Jun 2016, 03:11 am »
Now I have to buy that one.   I have Roger Waters - the Wall on blu-ray.   The David Gilmour one Blu-ray is a  DVD on blu-ray.  The PQ isn't even DVD quality imo.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #25 on: 19 Jun 2016, 03:17 am »
Yes... dude... I can't even explain. You have to be in the mindset to get past the video quality. The sheer scope of this video is mind blowing. It will make EVERY concert you've seen from your very first one, to the last one you'll ever see, seem bland and boring in comparison.
I would love to know the logistics behind it. How many people were involved in the making of it, what did tickets cost, how many audience members, etc..etc...
So epic....
And I mean "Epic" in the true sense of the word, not the meaning all the kids use now-a-days.

If they did a true Bluray remaster, I'd consider giving a large sum of money to own it. Maybe even a body part.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #26 on: 19 Jun 2016, 03:24 am »
Ok, so now I'm all excited about this DVD again. I did a little digging. Seems the "staging" of the event costs $10,000,000 to build.  :o

Read: http://www.rogerwaters.org/about_berlin.html

JoshK

« Reply #27 on: 19 Jun 2016, 03:37 am »
10MN?!

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #28 on: 19 Jun 2016, 03:46 am »
Ten Million to build. yes.

monte

« Reply #29 on: 19 Jun 2016, 11:29 am »
Journey live in Manila . Dean castronovo the ex drummer now sings three songs on this DVDs and he sounds awesome.                                                                                                                               

jonbee

« Reply #30 on: 19 Jun 2016, 02:33 pm »
I love concert vids, have many of the ones mentioned, would add these:
James Taylor at Beacon Theater- SOTA video and audio
Lee Ritenour Overtime Blu-ray best technical quality I've seen/heard, good smooth jazz
Springsteen at hammersmith odeon 1975- the best Boss dvd (Born to Run album live, plus more!), but only available as part of the born to run boxed set
Peter Gabriel Secret World Live great music and sound, mediocre video
Concert for George
Stop Making Sense
I have them as MKVs (as well as my music) on a Synology NAS wired through the router with cat 6 to my main 2 systems. I play the vid files using Oppo 93 and 103D, audio to DACS. Main video screen is a 55" last generation Panny plasma.
I have a 1 TB 2.5" external usb HD on which I have converted about 100 mkv movie files to mp4 for travelling. I travel with it and a Roku 2 (usb input) to play them over hotel room tvs.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #31 on: 6 Jul 2016, 11:19 pm »
I'm getting more into concert vids as I think some may work really well for a speaker demo, my speaker does a great job with simple 2-mic concert recordings... I've had Phish fans get up and start dancing, saying it's just like they were there...  :green:

If anyone has any vids they think are demo quality material I'd love to hear about them!

So far I'm about to order Bela Fleck "Live at the Quick" as I have the CD and Talking Heads "Stop Making Sense" as I love the TH... would like recs on Phish, Widespread and the Dead as well... I'm not super into jam bands but have seen Widespread and Phish a bunch... Dead was slightly before my time but they were great.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #32 on: 6 Jul 2016, 11:30 pm »
You won't be disappointed with the "Live At The Quick" DVD, it's a killer.  :thumb:  Nothing like jazz banjo & bassoon to soothe the savage music fan.  :D

JoshK

« Reply #33 on: 13 Jul 2016, 05:42 pm »
Back in 1990, Roger Waters put on a show in Berlin. Not just a "concert", but the single most epic piece of musical showmanship I've ever seen.
I can't fathom the logistics to pull something like this off. Especially a quarter century ago.
The stage was what.. a mile wide? Complete with a convoy of military vehicles going across stage, audience participation, an all star cast... it has it all.
Except the video quality we've come to expect now days.  :(

Here's part one of the video: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xjy3n7_roger-waters-the-wall-live-in-berlin-1990-part-1-of-2_music

Here's the DVD album cover. This is my single most prized of all DVDs I own.

So on your suggestion I picked it up.  I am watching it now, almost finished.  I am working from home and have it on, so I am not watching it closely, but it is an amazing concert!  Old school 4:3 video format, but that is about all I'd knock.  There is a lot of cameos aren't there?    I even think Bryan Adams plays at one point.   

I like the guy who leads the backup vocals on Comfortably Numb, that is an interesting harmony.  Just looked it up, that was Van Morrison.  I thought I recognized the voice, but didn't recognize the person.   And yeah they had a massive guest list of tons of actors and singers/musicians of the day.   I wasn't paying close enough attention but I did think I saw Sinead O'Connor. 

tvyankee

« Reply #34 on: 13 Jul 2016, 07:07 pm »
Guy's

I think James Taylor Live from Beacon Theater NYC is a great Video. It is The first 100% full digital DVD. Recorded in SD-SDI and AES 5.1 surround sound. It was recorded on one of the trucks i used to work on and i believe it is in the Guinness  book of work records for the 1st 100% full live digital transmission done. It was produced for WNET ch 13 PBS.

Also Dave & Tim in NYC at Radio City Music Hall in Full Hi-Rez Audio and Video.

Check them out they are very well done.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #35 on: 13 Jul 2016, 07:33 pm »
So on your suggestion I picked it up.  I am watching it now, almost finished.  I am working from home and have it on, so I am not watching it closely, but it is an amazing concert!  Old school 4:3 video format, but that is about all I'd knock.  There is a lot of cameos aren't there?    I even think Bryan Adams plays at one point.   

I like the guy who leads the backup vocals on Comfortably Numb, that is an interesting harmony.  Just looked it up, that was Van Morrison.  I thought I recognized the voice, but didn't recognize the person.   And yeah they had a massive guest list of tons of actors and singers/musicians of the day.   I wasn't paying close enough attention but I did think I saw Sinead O'Connor.
Awesome, I'm glad you like it!
Yes, that is Bryan Adams.

Donald

« Reply #36 on: 15 Jul 2016, 12:27 am »
A couple more of my favorites:

Neil Young: Heart of Gold
Eric Clapton: 1 more car, 1 more rider
Loreena Mckennitt: Nights from the Alhambra
Peter Gabriel: Secret World
Hall and Oates: Live at the Troubadour
John Mayer: Where the Light Is
Bonnie Raitt: Road Tested
ZZ Top: Live from Texas
Yanni: Tribute
Steve Winwood: Soundstage

drphoto

« Reply #37 on: 16 Jul 2016, 01:46 am »
I love concert vids. Maybe only reason I want a high rez TV. Second PG "Secret World", but the "Growing UP" tour maybe even better. PG's daughter is a little weak on her vocals, but the rest is first rate. The opening track will make you weep. (here comes the flood) it's incredible. Totally solo. PG at piano and voice.

Blue Sky with the Blind Boys is also fantastic. I could live without the song about the Bonovos though. A little corny.

the Floyds, "Pulse" from 04 is pretty awesome. It's a bit visually over the top. Do you really need lasers and pyro? but musically as good or better than every.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #38 on: 16 Jul 2016, 03:24 am »
Another of my favorites not mentioned so far - Rory Gallagher: Irish Tour '74

The man could play with the best.

GRACE RUBY

« Reply #39 on: 16 Jul 2016, 07:30 pm »
Ok, so now I'm all excited about this DVD again. I did a little digging. Seems the "staging" of the event costs $10,000,000 to build.  :o

Read: http://www.rogerwaters.org/about_berlin.html

I lived next to the Kennedy Center, when Pink Floyd came for the dark side premier , I watched their roadys come trucks in and out from eleven pm at night till the concert at 8:00 pm the next day
« Last Edit: 22 Feb 2019, 10:26 am by GRACE RUBY »