Patty's HT3 pics

jsalk

Patty's HT3 pics
« on: 4 Jun 2006, 02:26 pm »
When Frank VanAlstine got his HT3's, his "girl Friday." Patty, just had to have a pair.  She wanted a unique finish.

It just so happened that I had just purchased some very unique red gum veneer with a wide band of sapwood.  Normally, sapwood would be trimmed off and only the heartwood would be used.  But with this batch, the sapwood was extremely nice and showed some real promise.

So I did a book-match splice on some sample pieces and sent Patty a picture.  She really seemed to like the effect, so we went to work.  Natural cherry seemed to pick up some of the colors in the red gum, so we used that for the front baffles, trim and plinths.  Here are the results:

And a close-up:

Since I was traveling to Minnesota for the Midwest Rock and Country Hall of Fame induction ceremonies (a band I was in as a youth was inducted), I was able to deliver these in person and meet Frank and Patty.  We had a very enjoyable visit and I also had an opportunity to pick up an amp, pre-amp and DAC that Frank had built for me.

So now Patty will get a chance to enjoy her new HT3's and I will be able to put my pair through the paces with Franks great gear.  More on that later...

Frank, you may want to indicate exactly which models of each you built for me.  I am really looking forward to spending some time with this combination.  I think it will be a perfect match for my HT3's.

Happy listening Patty!

- Jim

95bcwh

Patty's HT3 pics
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jun 2006, 02:39 pm »
man..this is the best looking speakers I have ever seen!!! If I'm ordering one today, I would have picked a similar finish!

Excellent work.

jsalk

Patty's HT3 pics
« Reply #2 on: 4 Jun 2006, 03:23 pm »
95bcwh -

Quote from: 95bcwh
man..this is the best looking speakers I have ever seen!!! If I'm ordering one today, I would have picked a similar finish!

Excellent work.

Wait 'til you see yours.  They will be equally stunning!

- Jim

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
Patty's HT3 pics
« Reply #3 on: 4 Jun 2006, 04:53 pm »
Hi Jim and thanks for posting the photos of Patty's speakers - - - and I get to keep them here and use them until her lower level is finished - - - to be done to match the speakers and will be awesome.

Your electronics:  Latest Fet Valve Ultra 550 amplifier, Ultra SL preamplifier with remote control, and Ultra DAC, all in our new chassis designs  All are our newest tube hybrid designs.  Each unit uses two 12AT7/ECC81 tubes by the way, each supplied with our standard production JJ Electronic (Tesla) ECC81 tubes - - - very quiet, glare free, dynamic and reliable in our judgement.

Thanks aain for your great service and friendship.

Frank Van Alstine

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Patty's HT3 pics
« Reply #4 on: 4 Jun 2006, 06:44 pm »
Great workmanship as always Jim.

I am looking forward to hearing your thoughts on Frank's products.

George

jsalk

Patty's HT3 pics
« Reply #5 on: 6 Jun 2006, 12:48 am »
George -

Quote from: zybar

George

It will probably be a few weeks until I will have had the kind of time with the gear to offer a valid impression.  In other words, I would like to live with the set-up for a while before I comment.

That said, so far they seem to be a great match for the HT3's - plenty of power and no discernable weaknesses noted to date. So far I am quite impressed.

- Jim

jsalk

Patty's HT3 pics
« Reply #6 on: 6 Jun 2006, 12:48 am »
George -

Quote from: zybar

George

It will probably be a few weeks until I will have had the kind of time with the gear to offer a valid impression.  In other words, I would like to live with the set-up for a while before I comment.

That said, so far they seem to be a great match for the HT3's - plenty of power and no discernable weaknesses noted to date. So far I am quite impressed.

- Jim