Outstanding Demo CD's etc...

RadioWonder

Re: Outstanding Demo CD's etc...
« Reply #960 on: 18 Aug 2010, 02:09 am »
My current favorite acoustic Jazz music... Recorded by Cookie Marenco of Blue Coast Records.

"There's nowhere to hide. Samsara is reminiscent of ECM label jazz recordings - spacious, warm, and intensely honest. A departure from his two previous albums - critically acclaimed Come To Me and Reincarnation, fully produced electric world jazz albums with turntablists, spoken word, strings, horns and lots of studio know-how behind the leader's acoustic guitar. Switching gears on Samsara, Gregory James has come back to the basics with a quartet and very little, if any, studio effects. Raw tracks and real playing. Captured with beautiful 'invisible' production by Cookie Marenco's OTR Studios in the Bay Area."

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0014FIYW6/ref=oss_product

jimdgoulding

« Reply #961 on: 18 Aug 2010, 02:23 am »
Your link is to nice stuff.  And I've been hearing nice things about the Rogue Records label.  Thanks.

vintagebob

« Reply #962 on: 18 Aug 2010, 02:49 pm »
I didn't see Houston Person, "The Party" on the list.  Track #2, "Blue Velvet", might be a great demo track for the SoundScapes.  The organ hits some very low notes.

http://www.amazon.com/Party-Houston-Person/dp/B000008BZJ/ref=ntt_mus_ep_dpi_lnk

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #963 on: 19 Aug 2010, 01:31 pm »
Al Di Meola's 'Kiss My Axe"
Its been mentioned in the thread before, I just got my copy and was listening to it last night...

Track #2, The Embrace:
It starts off smooth, nothing to write home about then there is a Flim and the BB's moment, several of them where the Drum Whacks are VIOLENT, the SongTowers performed admirably...this is a real suprise 1:48 into this track they start and 2:32 into it again and again...

The Flim and the BB's comment is about the low volume soft passages etc then WHACK a drum hit that makes your eyes pop out...

In this track the first one really catches you 'ear' then the follow-on whancks are at a bit different amplitude, but some are really horrific!! (in a good way..)

Be careful!!....I sent Jim a note and he said the SS's really did well with this!!

All the best

Alex

:)

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #964 on: 21 Aug 2010, 04:40 am »
Alex....

One for the Jazz lovers....you have a copy.... :wink:

Mike Garson - "Oxnard Sessions, Vol.2"

Great album....well recorded...good tunes....good players....Mike Garson, piano; Eric Marienthal, alto & soprano sax; Brian Bromberg, bass; Ralph Humphry, Bill Mintz, drums, Keith Johnson, eng. ...and a good label ....Reference Recordings.

It was released in 1992. It was later re-released in 2008 by Allegro records as the album 'Jazzhat'

A review....http://www.stereophile.com/recordingofthemonth/693rotm/

I enjoy this Vol. 2 over Vol. 1 ....but both are really good....and worth owning.

Happy listening.... :thumb:

jsalk

« Reply #965 on: 21 Aug 2010, 12:13 pm »
Don't know if this CD was mentioned yet, but I just got it yesterday.

Chet Atkins said Australian-born guitarist Tommy Emmanuel was the greatest finger picker in the world today.  Before he died, Les Paul said he was still learning from Tommy.  Eric Clapton said he was the greatest guitar player he had ever seen.

This is a live double CD with Tommy playing solo (with his bass player "Tom Thumb").  No overdubs, no re-takes, this guy is simply amazing.  If you want to hear a guitar player without equal, check it out.

http://www.amazon.com/Liveone-Tommy-Emmanuel/dp/B000K7UFV2/ref=dp_return_2?ie=UTF8&n=5174&s=music

- Jim
« Last Edit: 22 Aug 2010, 01:46 pm by jsalk »

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #966 on: 22 Aug 2010, 01:50 am »
I really like Chet Atkins and if Chet say this guy is good, well...all I can say its on its way!

Look forward to listening to it!!

Thanks for the recommendation Jim.

Chris,

Yes the Oxnard Sessions is exceptional, and I do appreciate my copy!!

All the best
Alex

lonewolfny42

« Reply #967 on: 22 Aug 2010, 03:44 am »
You can't "go wrong" with Tommy Emmanual....a very talented guitarist....almost every Cd of his is golden...as are his videos.

http://www.youtube.com/user/euphemistic?blend=1&ob=4

Speaking of Chet Atkins....Tommy and Chet together....good stuff.... :thumb: :guitar:

Chet Atkins with Tommy Emmanuel - "The Day Finger Pickers Took Over the World"

**** Jim...track 6 "Ode to Mel Bay"....remember those guitar music books.... :lol:

decal

« Reply #968 on: 22 Aug 2010, 04:36 am »
My demo CD I use has the following cuts......
1.Santana "Singing Winds,Crying Beasts/Black Magic Woman"
2.Willie Nelson "Stardust"
3.Gov't Mule "Thorazine Shuffle"
4.Robin Trower "Bridge Of Sighs"
5.Beatles "Here Comes The Sun"
6.Rolling Stones "Monkey Man"
7.Rickie Lee Jones "Up From The Skies"
8.Widespread Panic "Second Skin"
9.Johnny Cash "Hurt"
10.Allman Brothers "Jessica"
11.Parliment "Mothership Connection(Star Child)"
12.Steely Dan "Deacon Blues"
13.The Band "Ophelia"
14.Z.Z. Top "Sheik"
15.Koko Taylor "Wang Dang Doodle"
Nothing out of the ordinary,just some tunes I really like and know really well.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #969 on: 22 Aug 2010, 12:53 pm »
Oh boy Chet Atkins and Tommy Emmananual! So cool!!!

decal..thanks for your track listing on your demo cd...the Santana cut goes back a long way and brings back many found memories from my 'stereo' history for sure...

I have NO Willie Neslon cds per say, I think I have a few tracks somewhere with him in a duet or on a demo cd somewhere, I really like his 'cranky' voice, think I will look into this in the near future.

Steely Dan. YES!

Amazing, now I have to go exploring again!!

All the best
Alex
 :D :)

jsalk

« Reply #970 on: 22 Aug 2010, 01:43 pm »

**** Jim...track 6 "Ode to Mel Bay"....remember those guitar music books.... :lol:

Yeah...I probably still have a few of them laying around.  Maybe not.  It's been so long now, they have most likely decomposed.

- Jim

lonewolfny42

« Reply #971 on: 23 Aug 2010, 12:41 am »

Yeah...I probably still have a few of them laying around.  Maybe not.  It's been so long now, they have most likely decomposed.

- Jim

Interesting video bio....  here....

He had a great chord book.... :thumb:

Ronm1

• "A Bug!! Naa...thats a feature!
« Reply #972 on: 23 Aug 2010, 12:48 am »

I have NO Willie Neslon cds per say, I think I have a few tracks somewhere with him in a duet or on a demo cd somewhere, I really like his 'cranky' voice, think I will look into this in the near future.

Try Milk Cow Blues I've always been partial to the sonics on that one.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #973 on: 23 Aug 2010, 02:11 am »
Chris I went back and listened to the Oxnard Sessions Vol 2 this evening.

I listened to this before I got the new amp and preamp it was good, its now a 10
out of a 10.

Phenomenal!

Nuance was asking me awhile back for piano music that would make you cry...well
its on this disc for sure...

Play it loud these musicans are just perfect!

All the best
Alex

:D

lonewolfny42

« Reply #974 on: 23 Aug 2010, 02:15 am »
 8) Alex...... Mike's version ...."All Blues" ....just sticks in your head....good stuff !!

Glad you like it. :beer:

Let me add another Mike Garson....a more "acoustic jazz" selection.

This is a mostly straight-ahead set featuring Mike Garson's piano in a variety of settings. He takes "I Should Care" and "My Romance" unaccompanied; duets with the brilliant flutist Jim Walker (his musical partner in Free Flight) on "My One and Only Love"; plays three songs in a trio with bassist Stanley Clarke and drummer Billy Mintz; and leads a quintet comprised of guitarist Peter Sprague, bassist Jim Lacefield, drummer Mintz, and either altoist Gary Herbig or flutist Walker through three of his tricky but likable originals. An excellent all-around set, one of Mike Garson's best. ~ Scott Yanow (All Music)

Mike Garson - "Serendipity"

More good stuff you will like Alex !!! :beer:

TJC712

« Reply #975 on: 23 Aug 2010, 03:54 am »
Serendipity has some big time playing on it besides being a Johnson Reference Recording. This is an excellent choice for numerous reasons!

johzel

« Reply #976 on: 23 Aug 2010, 01:28 pm »

Don't know if this CD was mentioned yet or not.  I always play cut #5, "Dances With Wood" when auditioning speakers.  This certainly challenges a speaker's ability to quickly and accurately reproduce the kick bass like lower end.

The Global Drum Project is produced by former Grateful Dead drummer, Mickey Hart, and is an amazing piece of music. 

johzel

« Reply #977 on: 23 Aug 2010, 02:40 pm »
Thanks to Mr. Salk and a very generous customer in my neck of the woods I'm looking forward to auditioning my very first pair of Salk speakers - the HT2-TL's this Thursday.  While I suspect we'll use the owner's music (including his Salk CD(s)) the following will be in the car with me:

Diana Panton – “If the Moon Turns Green”
Jason Mraz – “We Sing, We Dance, We Steal Things”
The Global Drum Project
Leo Kottke – “6 and 12 String Guitar”
Natalie Cole – “Stardust”
Nils Logren – “Acoustic Live”
Alison Krauss and Union Station – “New Favorite”
Diana Krall – “Love Scenes”
Stevie Wonder – “Songs in the Key of Life”
Michelle Shocked – “Soul of My Soul”
K.D. Lang – “Recollection”
Sarah McLachlan – “Remixed”
Aaron Neville – “Bring in Home – Soul Classics”
Robert Plant/Allison Krauss – “Raising Sand”
Mark Knopfler – “Sailing to Philadelphia”
Yo-Yo Ma – “Classic Yo-Yo”
Melody Gardot – “My One and Only Thrill”
Jorma Kaukonen – “Blue Country Heart”
Michael Buble – “Crazy Love”
George Duke – “Duke”
Bob James and Earl Klugh – “One on One”
Spyro Gyra – “Got The Magie”
Jennifer Warnes – “Famous Blue Raincoat”

Now if this gentleman had a turntable I could take my first ever reference piece of music with me.  For those of you who are old like me this is a LP I used to take with me to shoppes in the early 1970's when I first became interested in audio equipment - wonder whatever happened to good old Gino Vannelli  :scratch::

newzooreview

« Reply #978 on: 23 Aug 2010, 05:33 pm »
I've been meaning to add these for a while, so now that we're pushing for 1000 posts I figured it would be a good time.  :thumb:

The two live concert recordings of David Lindley and Hani Naser are a real treat. They are mainly from high-quality audience tapes or soundboard recordings, and the quality ranges from excellent to very excellent. The music is simply superb--bouyant, lyrical, humorous in parts and dark in others. The bass is excellent and really shows off the clean and articulate mid-bass that my HT1-TLs offer. The subtleties of fingers against guitar and sitar (?) are also portrayed very naturally in the recordings and in the Salks.

The first of the set is "Live in Tokyo" and the second "Playing Even Better" It looks like the first one is temporarily out of stock on the David Lindley site, but the second is just as good as the first and a fine starting point.

http://www.davidlindley.com/cgi-bin/dlshop.cgi#

ctouhey

« Reply #979 on: 23 Aug 2010, 06:30 pm »
[snip]
The two live concert recordings of David Lindley and Hani Naser are a real treat. [snip]

I saw David and Hani live shortly after this was released:

The CD is pretty good, but nothing compares with the live show...

Chris