Thanks
All the Best
Alex
 :eyebrows:

HAITIMAN

Re: Outstanding Demo CD's etc...
« Reply #883 on: 9 Jun 2010, 12:46 am »
Get your kicks....
"Why is it that a well-recorded sultry female voice singing classic songs with sparse instrumentation seems to stir something within the souls of audiophiles everywhere? Darned if I know. All I can say is that I’m as big a sucker for that kind of recording as the next guy. So, as I was strolling the crowded halls at the Montreal audio show this past spring, I was drawn into the room where this disc, A Tribute To Julie London by Canadian singer Doreen Smith, was playing. Ah, now this was more like it! (Of course, the fact that the electronics were by Nagra and the speakers by Sonus Faber didn’t hurt either.)

I’m familiar with Julie London (mostly as an actress, though), but the singer, Doreen Smith, and label, Fidelio, were new to me. But -- pause here while I give away the ending -- if the rest of the Fidelio catalog is anywhere near as good as this disc, I’m going to be the poorer for it. This is one fine album, both musically and sonically.

Most of the songs are recorded with only Smith’s voice, an acoustic bass and either an electric or acoustic guitar, joined occasionally by an alto sax and percussion. Ms. Smith has one of the most sensual voices I’ve heard in a long time -- and, as for the sound, well, I’ll get into that in more detail later, but it’s right up there with the best I’ve heard. So all the parts seem to be here. But do they all fit together and make a complete album? Let’s see.

We all have our fair share of albums that feature female vocalists doing songs in this vein, so why should this disc excite attention? Because there is a great deal of love and respect shown here by Ms. Smith for London’s work. And because Ms. Smith has a way with these songs, as well as a vocal style that will grab you right from the get-go and make you cry when this disc ends. When she opens this album singing "That Old Feeling," she’ll give you that old feeling, easily.

Julie London covered all of the songs recorded here during her ten-year, 31-album career except for one, "Route 66," which was written by her late husband, Bobby Troup. Yet, when Ms. Smith reaches that song (it’s number eight on the hit parade), you'll find it hard to believe that London never sang it -- it fits in so well here both stylistically as well as vocally. And the cover of London’s biggest hit, "Cry Me A River," will have you scurrying to your local used-vinyl emporium looking for any of Julie’s albums. (Ha ha, I already got there -- you're too late!)

As for the sound of A Tribute …? Superb, top rate, one of the best I’ve heard, very natural, yada, yada, yada. What’s that? You want more of a description? OK, but beware, superlatives are about to roll.

Let’s start with the vocals. They’re up-front and very three-dimensional -- so much so that, as you listen, Ms. Smith will be joining you, singing to you alone. (What do you mean, you listen with others? What are you reading this part for? You’re no true audiophile!) You can hear her breathe and feel the way her voice caresses the mike as she forms the words. Fidelio only used two custom-made microphones for this recording, one hung above the room and one for Ms. Smith.

The bass is deep, appropriately wooden, and plucky. You’ll be able to follow the bassist as he plucks each string; you can practically hear the rosin flaking off the horsehair as he draws his bow across. The guitars are easy to follow, and you’ll be able to identify each of the three different ones used (two electric and one acoustic). Transients are excellent. There is air aplenty around both the instruments and Ms. Smith, giving the sense of the performance inhabiting a real space. My only complaint is that there isn’t much in the way of ambience here. The acoustic is rather dry. I know that may sound contradictory, based on what I just wrote above, but if you listen, you’ll hear what I’m talking about. But that’s a pretty minor one problem, given the overall quality of the recording.

This is a demo-quality disc. It’s also a wonderfully musical disc. It’s two, two, two discs in one; and how rare is that, brother audiophiles? I’d love to hear this on vinyl (hint, hint, nudge, nudge). Fidelio has a winner here. A Tribute To Julie London offers excellent vocals and superb sonics, both being about as good as CD gets. You’ll want this disc for its sound alone, but you'll listen to it over and over for its musical content. And isn’t that what this hobby’s supposed to be all about?

John Crossett

Rich5616

« Reply #884 on: 9 Jun 2010, 04:12 pm »
Can anyone offer advise where I can purchase the
Doreen Smith cd. Amazon does not list it.
 Thanks.

HAITIMAN

« Reply #885 on: 9 Jun 2010, 05:09 pm »

Rich5616

« Reply #886 on: 9 Jun 2010, 05:15 pm »
Thanks HAITIMAN !
 Ordered and waiting with bated breath.

martyo

« Reply #887 on: 9 Jun 2010, 05:37 pm »
Thanks HAITIMAN !
 Ordered and waiting with bated breath.

How did you do that? I was there an hour ago and they were out of stock. After reading your post I went back and they are still out of stock. Am I missing something? :scratch:

writeface

« Reply #888 on: 10 Jun 2010, 12:08 am »
I have the same problem. It is out of stock! However, this label is a great find for me. I am loving the samples. Will order many titles soon.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #889 on: 10 Jun 2010, 12:25 am »
You might check here...

http://www.canadacd.ca/en/browse/?productNumber=FACD006&browse=1&page=1

Another...Not currently in store....allow 1 to 2 weeks to ship....

http://www.gellatlymusic.com/webstore/view.php?iid=8530

martyo

« Reply #890 on: 10 Jun 2010, 02:46 pm »
You might check here...

Thanks Chris, canadacd worked just fine. :thumb:

writeface

« Reply #891 on: 10 Jun 2010, 05:10 pm »
You might check here...

Thank you. I ordered it from Canada CD.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #892 on: 11 Jun 2010, 06:15 am »
Your welcome Marty and writeface  ...glad I could help. :thumb:

Nuance

« Reply #893 on: 14 Jun 2010, 12:33 am »
Gents,

I am looking for very well recorded piano pieces.  I am talking bring you to your knees, make you weep like a little girl because its so beautiful piano pieces.  Any recommendations?

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #894 on: 14 Jun 2010, 12:45 am »
I'm very fond of this cd of Beethoven Sonatas by Emil Gilels:

http://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Path%C3%A9tique-Mondschein-Ludwig-van/dp/B000001G4E/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1276476138&sr=8-4

It is a very intimate recording, at least to my ears.

Napalm

« Reply #895 on: 14 Jun 2010, 12:58 am »
Gents,

I am looking for very well recorded piano pieces.  I am talking bring you to your knees, make you weep like a little girl because its so beautiful piano pieces.  Any recommendations?

2 great performances of Chopin's Nocturnes:

Nap.  :thumb:

Nuance

« Reply #896 on: 15 Jun 2010, 02:08 pm »
Great - thank you both.  Keep 'em coming folks!

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #897 on: 15 Jun 2010, 11:48 pm »
Ok Nuance, what are you up to??

Trying to find some really good piano stuff eh...are you trying to convince the wife you need to upgrade to a pair of
HT2 TL's!!  :D

A Hundred Miles or More: A Collection

http://www.amazon.com/Hundred-Miles-More-Collection/dp/B000ND91SG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1274275563&sr=8-1

Its quite a collection of wonderful sounds...Allisons voice is really a gift and I never get tired of listening to it.

The piano opening on Get Me Through December is wonderful...

Alex

Note: Dave Grusin's Mountain Dance is pretty good, I will go back and re-listen..

Nuance

« Reply #898 on: 19 Jun 2010, 04:07 am »
Ok Nuance, what are you up to??

Trying to find some really good piano stuff eh...are you trying to convince the wife you need to upgrade to a pair of
HT2 TL's!!  :D

Maybe.  :oops: :lol:

Thanks for the recommendations, Alex.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #899 on: 19 Jun 2010, 05:30 pm »
Darol Anger's "Heritage"

http://www.amazon.com/Heritage-Darol-Anger/dp/B0007IO6EQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1276968424&sr=1-1

Another great recommendation from Chris!  8)

Wonderful sounds, very well recorded...good ole American Roots music with vocalists  that include: Mary- Chapin Carpenter, John Gorka, Willie Nelson, Tim O'Brien, Jane Siberry, Mavis Staples and Dar Williams

May not be everyones cup of tea, but several cuts could easily be on Jim Salk's demo cds for sure

All the Best and thanks again Mr. "Wolf"

Alex
 :eyebrows: