Outstanding Demo CD's etc...

adydula

• Restricted
Re: Outstanding Demo CD's etc...
« Reply #860 on: 13 May 2010, 03:24 pm »
Hello!

Been really busy with life in general but did manage to get my new toy up and running, a Logitech Squeezebox Touch and I was looking for CD's that I have not yet listened to...here a nice one I came across last night testing the new interface:

Dido's "Life For Rent"

http://www.amazon.com/Life-Rent-Dido/dp/B000089RVR/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1273763988&sr=8-5

All the best and more to come!

Alex

:eyebrows:

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #861 on: 17 May 2010, 09:38 pm »
Hello!

Absolutely Stunning:

Eva Cassidy "Live at Blues Alley"

http://www.amazon.com/Live-Blues-Alley-Eva-Cassidy/dp/B000009PO2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1274132017&sr=8-1

This is a 10 out of a 10.

She is no longer with us but what a voice and what talent...

Autumn Leaves is to die for.....Blue Skies...oh my..

Get this one NOW!!

All the best and thanks Chris!!

Alex
 :eyebrows: :eyebrows:
« Last Edit: 28 May 2010, 10:42 pm by adydula »

Rocket

« Reply #862 on: 18 May 2010, 01:07 pm »
Hi Alex,

I haven't read the entire thread but as a suggestion can we have the sound quality of the music listed?  I just don't like poor quality recordings on salk sound speakers.

It helps me a lot because I buy so many dud cd's that it isn't funny.  I generally use amazon to import my cd's from US to Australia and any help is appreciated.

Regards

Rod

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #863 on: 18 May 2010, 01:53 pm »
Rocket,

Hello nice to meet you!

The whole idea for recommendations from the start of the thread was and still is to identify those cd's that are really great, and really have good sound quality.  Demo quality etc.

I too like many of us have purchased many 'dud' cd's...that just have poor recording, sound dull and lack lustre etc..

For the most part most of the cd's that have been identified in this thread are of demo quality...but please be aware many of them may not be your personal musical taste. I have said in many posts that the content may not be  ' my cup of tea' or ' i am not a fan of country music' etc...but none the less this recording is exceptional etc.

To set a standard and apply a number etc would be hard to do ..but comments from posters on the sound quality is always welcome.

Take a look at the first thread and the links to the lists, you can see many recommendations and go back and read the comments etc, many of which speak to the sound qualitiy or certain selections on the cd that someone considers exceptional.

If you purchased the cd's listed in these links I would say most of them are really great sound quality, and they would make a wonderful start of a great collection.

All the best
Alex

K Shep

« Reply #864 on: 18 May 2010, 04:41 pm »
I haven't read the entire thread but as a suggestion can we have the sound quality of the music listed? 

Rocket,
adydula explained it perfectly above.  I would like to add that all of the recommendations I've made here are what I consider very well recorded.  I have purchased about 10 recommendations from the list here too and they have all been excellent. 
A rating system would be difficult.  Just like it would for speakers or electronics.  What I will say is IMO you can't go wrong picking up any of the many CD's that fall in genre of music you enjoy.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #865 on: 18 May 2010, 09:04 pm »
All the best and thanks Chris!!
Your welcome as always Alex.... :thumb:

Try the Allison Krauss....and Sara K. recordings... :wink:

(Hope the new job is going well... :D)

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #866 on: 18 May 2010, 11:11 pm »
Hey Chris,

Funny you should mention those. I just finished listening to Sara K and Chris Jones.

http://www.amazon.com/Are-We-There-Yet-Sara/dp/B000CA7VQY/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1274223997&sr=1-11

Just when you think you have heard it all, there are no more really great demo cds'..then Chris pulls another winner out of the bag.

Just a voice and guitar....what magic...and the recording LIVE is really very, very well done.

I did not have a clue who Sara K was...and I am glad I got to listen to this CD.

Its superb...my favorite was and still is her singing 'Vincent'...

Demo Quality ...FOR SURE...sound quality excellent.

Go get it ..!!

All the best

Alex!

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #867 on: 19 May 2010, 01:30 pm »
Hello Again!

There have been many mentions in this thread about Allison Krauss. So this isnt new news but I have not listened to this particular CD until late last night:

A Hundred Miles or More: A Collection

http://www.amazon.com/Hundred-Miles-More-Collection/dp/B000ND91SG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1274275563&sr=8-1

Its quite a collection of wonderful sounds...Allisons voice is really a gift and I never get tired of listening to it.

The piano opening on Get Me Through December is wonderful...

There are several cuts that could ealisy fit on Jim's Demo Cds'..

Enjoy

All the best
Alex

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #868 on: 23 May 2010, 04:19 pm »
Dave Chesky's "Club de Sol"

http://www.amazon.com/Club-Sol-David-Chesky/dp/B000003GEZ/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1274631498&sr=8-1-fkmr0

Wow another really great demo cd.

Thanks Chris..and where are YOU all !!

Come on guys/gals there has to be more great CD's out there!!

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #869 on: 23 May 2010, 05:22 pm »
Another Manhattan Jazz Quintet- you guys have got to look into this group- but wait until I've picked up a collection of their work off ebay  :D.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #870 on: 24 May 2010, 01:50 am »
S Clark!

WOW now thats a big cover art shot!!  :D
Thanks for the recommendation!

I was listening to James Taylor's "October Road".

http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:aifexqqaldje

WONDERFUL, WONDERFUL, Absolutely WONDERFUL.

The recording is really well done, the overall timbre is lucious!

What a really nice listen...I could listen to this over and over and continue to be amazed
how well this CD sounds. So many really neat sounds and little sonic surprises.

The SongTowers really excell in this type of music, its just freaking amazing how well this CD and the SongTowers play so well together!

Hope you enjoy this cd as much as I did and will do!!

All the best
Alex

PS: Yes thanks to Chis again!!

lonewolfny42

« Reply #871 on: 24 May 2010, 05:42 am »
Alex....
In the Jazz vein....check out the Brock and Garson cd's... enjoy....:wink:

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #872 on: 28 May 2010, 10:31 pm »
Happy Memorial  Day!

Jim Brock's "Tropic Affair"

http://www.amazon.com/Tropic-Affair-Jim-Brock/dp/B000001580/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1275085694&sr=8-5

Amazing material, wide dynamic range, be careful with the volume, I played it loud and
smiled a lot!!

Try this one you will like it...demo material for sure!

All the best
Alex
(thanks Chris!)...

Kinger

« Reply #873 on: 29 May 2010, 11:54 am »
Just gave Tropic Affair a preview on Amazon Alex.  Man that sounds pretty good!

jimdgoulding

« Reply #874 on: 29 May 2010, 12:26 pm »
Think the Mapleshade label should be mentioned here if it hasn't been already- www.mapleshaderecords.com and click on About Us for an intro to how they get the incredibly live sound and transparency they do. 

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #875 on: 29 May 2010, 12:44 pm »
Hello Kinger,

Jim Brock also has this one: Letters - From -The - Equator

http://www.amazon.com/Letters-From-The-Equator/dp/B000QQTMC0/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&s=dmusic&qid=1275136821&sr=8-11

I actually like this one better, but both are VERY good...kind of reminds me of Larry Carlton when the guitar stuff occurs and a lot like Spyrogyra with more brass ie trumpets etc.

Dyanmic range in many of the tunes is really WIDE.

Glad you like the selection it will make u smile!

Jim, I will look into the Mapleshade label, never heard of them, any particular selections that are your favorite?

All the best
Alex

jimdgoulding

« Reply #876 on: 29 May 2010, 01:20 pm »
Sure thing, Alex.  Sound Roots by Andy KcKee and NEXT is some avant/funk/jazz that has outrageously clean and wide dynamics and an in room presence that'll have you looking around for a waitress!   Listen loud.  Good looking room, man. 

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #877 on: 30 May 2010, 06:22 pm »
Hello!

Gospel Music...well...some of the greatest music is rooted in gospel..ie Ray Charles, Sam Cooke etc...

With that this selection of Ben Harper and The Blind Boys of Alabama " There Will Be A Light" is awesome..

http://www.amazon.com/There-Light-Harper-Blind-Alabama/dp/B0002MPPVK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1275243414&sr=8-1

I found myself really getting caught up in the energy of a lot of the selections.

Genuine emotion and Demo quality for sure!

All the best and thanks Chris!

Alex

lonewolfny42

« Reply #878 on: 30 May 2010, 06:33 pm »
Think the Mapleshade label should be mentioned here if it hasn't been already- www.mapleshaderecords.com and click on About Us for an intro to how they get the incredibly live sound and transparency they do.

I always liked this one from Clifford Jordan... :thumb:

"Live At Ethell's...."

incredibly live sound and transparency
Yep..... :dance:

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #879 on: 1 Jun 2010, 02:24 am »
Hello Again!!

Well this was a real surprise, and I am so glad the great music of demo quality does not seem to be running out!!

Johnny Cash: American - IV - Man Comes Around.

http://www.amazon.com/American-IV-Man-Comes-Around/dp/B00006L7XQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1275358407&sr=1-3

This is a superb recording and awesome.

The guitar sound in this recoding is as close to perfect than I have ever heard.
It sounds so good, what a treat, Johnny Cash plucking a steel stringed guitar that sounds so real and lifelike, it fills my listening room and my jaw dropped on the floor several times.

You can hear and sense the depth of the soundstage...what a sonic treat!.

What a strong recording, and what an American Icon...fabulous.

Oh and by he way I am not really a country fan..but I do appreciate the person and what he does on this cd.

I could listen to this over and over and never get tired listening.

Did I say the guitar sounds really, really nice!!

All the best
Alex

PS: Chris this one is really awesome!