Outstanding Demo CD's etc...

taoggniklat

Re: Outstanding Demo CD's etc...
« Reply #800 on: 9 Mar 2010, 03:36 pm »
I just received my Mino Cinelu CD today and WOW!  COOL STUFF!

I have no idea what they're singing about, but the quality and dynamics are amazing.  It's a real pleasure to listen to.

I also picked up Peter Gabriel's "UP" which I'm also enjoying very much.

My Mino Cenula came yesterday and all I can say is awesome. Even on my modest setup (ie salkless) the sound was amazing.

Very good suggestion.

funkmonkey

« Reply #801 on: 9 Mar 2010, 11:04 pm »
My Mino Cenula came yesterday and all I can say is awesome. Even on my modest setup (ie salkless) the sound was amazing.

Very good suggestion.

agreed...  it even sounds great in my truck.

K Shep

« Reply #802 on: 10 Mar 2010, 12:46 am »
... unfortunatley I got a pink slip at work and am hard at 'work' trying to stayed employed!! 

Sorry to hear.

Good luck to you Alex.

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #803 on: 10 Mar 2010, 02:05 am »
I got a pink slip at work and am hard at 'work' trying to stayed employed!!  :cry:

As soon as my situation stabilizes I will be more attentive!!

All the best
Alex
 :eyebrows:

Sorry to hear that, Alex.   Hang in there.

mort

« Reply #804 on: 11 Mar 2010, 03:33 pm »
Sting: Feilds of dreams. Great imaging and explosive dynamics.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #805 on: 14 Mar 2010, 11:38 pm »
Mort,

Thanks for the STING recommndation, I will look into this as soon as I find employent!!  :D

Thanks for the kind words guys...we are in the hunt for sure!

See ya all soon!

All the best
Alex!
 :eyebrows: :eyebrows:

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #806 on: 15 Mar 2010, 01:50 am »
Sting: Feilds of dreams. Great imaging and explosive dynamics.
It is very good, but second to his "Brand New Day" cd.  Maybe even third to "Mercury Falling".  Sting just does a good job with most of his recordings.

Another cd that I recommend it Patty Larkin's "Regrooving the Dream".  It's almost as well done as her "Angel's Running" that has been recommended earlier.

Scott

funkmonkey

« Reply #807 on: 15 Mar 2010, 04:32 am »
Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but one disc that sounds good every time a track comes up on random is Kruder & Dorfmeister, The K&D Sessions™.  Lush soundscapes & mellow beats... aural candy.

K Shep

« Reply #808 on: 15 Mar 2010, 04:21 pm »
Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but one disc that sounds good every time a track comes up on random is Kruder & Dorfmeister, The K&D Sessions™.  Lush soundscapes & mellow beats... aural candy.

Kruder & Dorfmeister: K&D Session
http://www.amazon.com/K-D-Sessions-Kruder-Dorfmeister/dp/B00000G257/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1248555773&sr=1-1

K&D is one of my favorites!

sanlanman

« Reply #809 on: 16 Mar 2010, 02:33 am »
Adydula, Hang in there man. I lost my good paying job back in October and am still looking.
This thread has been the source of some good music finds and you played the major part in it.

funkmonkey

« Reply #810 on: 16 Mar 2010, 05:11 am »
K&D is one of my favorites!

okay, +1 then  :thumb:

Has any one else suggested Thievery Corporation?  If you are into K&D I'm sure you know and like them as well...  if not you should check them out.

divisionbell77

« Reply #811 on: 16 Mar 2010, 01:38 pm »
Ok, if you like Thievery Corporation and/or K&D, check out Les Hommes album Les Hommes and the EP Mood is Modal.  Also check out Nicola Conte's album Jet Sounds, and the band Koop's albums Koop Islands and Waltz for Koop.

If you like Zero 7(you should know them if you know TC or K&D), check out The XX.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #812 on: 17 Mar 2010, 01:17 am »
Hello,

During my hiatus trying to find employment I have not had the time to just sit around and listen to good music... :(

But last night I just had to take a break and I listened to this:

Sting's 10 Summoner's Tales:

http://www.amazon.com/Ten-Summoners-Tales-Sting/dp/B000005IL1/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1268788233&sr=8-2

I have had this cd for several weeks and it was a real treat to be a enjoy music again! This enhanced cd is very well recorded and plays so nice on my SongTowers.

Ok back to the job search!!

All the best
Alex

ctouhey

« Reply #813 on: 19 Mar 2010, 01:39 am »
+1 for anything Sting.  I've got most of the releases and have seen him live (post Police) several tiimes.  I have the Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs Original Master Recording of The Dream of the Blue Turtles as well as the dts release of Brand New Day which I purchased about 10 years ago or so.  Good stuff.

But, having just received my HT3s, I want to mention Walter Hyatt.  Most of you will never have heard of him, but he was a wonderful musician/composer.  Living in Texas I was able to see him a few times before his death, and it was amazing live.  He died in the 1996 crash of the ValuJet in the Florida Everglades.  Left behind a wife and son; I went to the tribute concert in Austin.  Very moving.

Anyway, I put on King Tears with the HT3s, and realized this fits into the demo category.  So very well recorded, great dynamic range, good and varied material.  The on-line databases (when you burn) classify this as Country, but I classify it between Jazz and Laid Back.  At least many of the cord progressions are Jazz.

I looked to see if it was still available, and Amazon has new and used.  New is out of the question - $50 - $100.  But they have $5.00 used copies. (Or PM me.)

Amazon Link:
http://www.amazon.com/King-Tears-Walter-Hyatt/dp/B000002P4T/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1268961535&sr=1-1

Chris

TJC712

« Reply #814 on: 22 Mar 2010, 11:56 pm »
+1 for anything Sting.  I've got most of the releases and have seen him live (post Police) several tiimes.  I have the Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs Original Master Recording of The Dream of the Blue Turtles as well as the dts release of Brand New Day which I purchased about 10 years ago or so.  Good stuff.

But, having just received my HT3s, I want to mention Walter Hyatt.  Most of you will never have heard of him, but he was a wonderful musician/composer.  Living in Texas I was able to see him a few times before his death, and it was amazing live.  He died in the 1996 crash of the ValuJet in the Florida Everglades.  Left behind a wife and son; I went to the tribute concert in Austin.  Very moving.

Sting always a good listen for all the right reasons. I have to add that I really like this Walter Hyatt CD. Very good recco.

Anyway, I put on King Tears with the HT3s, and realized this fits into the demo category.  So very well recorded, great dynamic range, good and varied material.  The on-line databases (when you burn) classify this as Country, but I classify it between Jazz and Laid Back.  At least many of the cord progressions are Jazz.

I looked to see if it was still available, and Amazon has new and used.  New is out of the question - $50 - $100.  But they have $5.00 used copies. (Or PM me.)

Amazon Link:
http://www.amazon.com/King-Tears-Walter-Hyatt/dp/B000002P4T/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1268961535&sr=1-1

Chris

TJC712

« Reply #815 on: 23 Mar 2010, 12:00 am »

Amazon Link:

Chris

Oops! My bad. As I buried in my last attempt...   Sting is always a good listen for all the right reasons. This Walter Hyatt CD is quite good. Thank you for the suggestion!

OgOgilby

« Reply #816 on: 28 Mar 2010, 04:07 pm »
Hello,

During my hiatus trying to find employment I have not had the time to just sit around and listen to good music... :(

But last night I just had to take a break and I listened to this:

Sting's 10 Summoner's Tales:

http://www.amazon.com/Ten-Summoners-Tales-Sting/dp/B000005IL1/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1268788233&sr=8-2

I have had this cd for several weeks and it was a real treat to be a enjoy music again! This enhanced cd is very well recorded and plays so nice on my SongTowers.

Ok back to the job search!!

All the best
Alex

Good call on Summoner's Tales Alex! I have had it for a long time but hadn't listened to it with my current setup (I was tired of the "hits" on it). Wow, it sounds so much better than I remembered it.

That caused me to dig out Sting's "The Soul Cages" just to try it out on the Salks. Wow, a giant sound stage that sounded like surround sound at times. Never noticed that with my old setup. Similar to the sound stage on David Gilmour's "On an Island".

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #817 on: 29 Mar 2010, 09:10 pm »
OgOgilby,

Yes this is a really nice CD to listen to, I never really liked Sting when he first came out, but it sure has grown on me in my ripe old age of '60'  :D

I have a new job!! Unfortunately its at reduced salary but at least I have a job and healtcare benefits to cover my wife's illness...!! Thanks to the guy upstairs!!   :D

I got a really NICE care package from Chris, aka lonewolfny42...and I have some listening to do!! Thanks so much!!

Hope to get around to posting in a few days!!

Hey have you noticed that this is the most viewed & posted thread on the Salk Circle?!?! This is awesome, I am so glad that all of you out there have taken the time to share your Outstanding CD selections over the last year or so...keep them coming!!

All the best
Alex

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #818 on: 30 Mar 2010, 03:40 am »
Alex....

I have a new job!! Unfortunately its at reduced salary but at least I have a job and healthcare benefits to cover my wife's illness...!! Thanks to the guy upstairs!!

That's the best news of all.....good luck!  :beer:

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #819 on: 30 Mar 2010, 05:04 pm »
Hello!

Not since the days of my old Magnapan's have I heard such wild and crazy music....especially the xylophone and tympani!

The SongTowers do such a wonderful job with this type of music.... :wink:

This CD is what I would call an 'Outstanding Demo CD'.

You may not like this type of music, its not the Beatles or Jazz!!

But a demo cd it is: The Best of Martin Dennys Exotica!!!!

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Martin-Dennys-Exotica/dp/B000E6ELHI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1269968155&sr=1-2

Its really different and really neat to listen to...Give it a try, it may sound all the same but there is so much going in these various cuts its amazing.

It made me laugh and smile  a bunch!!

Thanks  Chris!

All the best
Alex