K Shep

Re: Outstanding Demo CD's etc...
« Reply #600 on: 18 Dec 2009, 06:21 pm »
DVD doesn't disappoint... sounds great!

Are you listening in surround?

jimdgoulding

« Reply #601 on: 18 Dec 2009, 07:26 pm »
Up, up, up, up, up, up by Ani DiFranco on her label Righteous Babe.  I get the feeling she is very hands on with the production and plays with very sympathetic accompaniment here.  It's pretty naked song and sound and a personal favorite for both.

TJC712

« Reply #602 on: 18 Dec 2009, 11:08 pm »
DVD doesn't disappoint... sounds great!

Are you listening in surround?

Yeah... really sounds good.

capwkidd

« Reply #603 on: 20 Dec 2009, 12:55 am »
Where?

Such a Deal!

$3.99 for a SACD , DSD hybrid, on order, thanks much for the recommendation!!

All the best
Alex
 aa

fishinbob

JackD201

« Reply #605 on: 20 Dec 2009, 01:42 am »
Since Christmas is around the corner.....James Taylor's Christmas album is very nice. Good music and good sonics. The duet with Natalie Cole (Baby It's Cold Outside) will warm the hearts of couples that walk in from the cold.

Art_Chicago

« Reply #606 on: 20 Dec 2009, 03:14 am »
Jazz at its best:
http://www.amazon.com/London-Flat-Sharp-Dave-Brubeck/dp/B0009GX2AK

Telarc studio, DSD recording  :thumb:

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #607 on: 20 Dec 2009, 02:34 pm »
Thanks Art!

This is a gem for sure!!

Brubeck at 85 and still going strong!

Waiting for the Oppo to come home to play!!

All the best!

Alex!

aa

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #608 on: 20 Dec 2009, 02:42 pm »
Thanks Art!

This is a gem for sure!!

Brubeck at 85 and still going strong! (He is 89, born in 1920).

Look At: http://www.amazon.com/All-Time-Dave-Brubeck/dp/samples/B0001FGB9I/ref=dp_tracks_all_1#disc_1

All the remastered ones, excellent recordings.

Waiting for the Oppo to come home to play!!

All the best!

Alex!

aa

TJC712

« Reply #609 on: 21 Dec 2009, 11:46 pm »
Alex...

Here's one to try....a very good recording (on Chesky)...relaxing...talented composer....great guitarist....Brazilian music.....what's not to like... :wink:

Luiz Bonfa - "Non-Stop to Brazil" ....samples...

Beautiful! Thank you!

TJC712

« Reply #610 on: 22 Dec 2009, 12:09 am »
Up, up, up, up, up, up by Ani DiFranco on her label Righteous Babe.  I get the feeling she is very hands on with the production and plays with very sympathetic accompaniment here.  It's pretty naked song and sound and a personal favorite for both.

Now there's a refreshing artist who's gone out on a limb from time to time. While I admit that I'm not familiar with that specific track, I've always found her music to be well recorded for the most part. Another "acquired taste" to say the least with a style all her own. While being impartial regarding her political/social commentaries, I do enjoy listening to her varied works. She always has fascinating, honest, crude lyrics and plays the guitar quite well. Ordered the aforementioned cd and look forward to listening. If nothing else, Ami is always interesting!

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #611 on: 22 Dec 2009, 06:57 am »
Alex...

Here's one to try....a very good recording (on Chesky)...relaxing...talented composer....great guitarist....Brazilian music.....what's not to like... :wink:

Beautiful! Thank you!

Your welcome....how about another. :wink:

One that is an older recording, done in 1962....but a true classic....and well recorded.

Stan Getz and Charlie Byrd..... "Jazz Samba"

Samples....

TJC712

« Reply #612 on: 22 Dec 2009, 04:31 pm »
Alex...

Beautiful! Thank you!

Your welcome....how about another. :wink:

One that is an older recording, done in 1962....but a true classic....and well recorded.

Stan Getz and Charlie Byrd..... "Jazz Samba"

Samples....

Good Call!  Another suggestion in this same vein is Eu Nao Quero Dancar (I Won't Dance) by Harry Allen...  some fine sounding work that I suspect you'll enjoy.

TJC712

« Reply #613 on: 22 Dec 2009, 05:13 pm »
Jazz at its best:

Also highly recomend Brubeck's '59 classic recording - Time Out. There's a 50 yr anniversary edition that has 2 cd's and a dvd. 2nd cd is live Brubeck stuff from Newport over a 3 year period. Can find "used" pretty inexpensively... Great buy! 

These are a few other well recorded oldies that I pulled out lately and think may hit your (Alex) sweet spot: Jeff Lorber/Flipside, Joe Sample/Old Places Old Faces, Fourplay/Between the Sheets.

TJC712

« Reply #614 on: 22 Dec 2009, 05:31 pm »
Wanted to take a second and wish everybody a happy holiday season! Thank you all for the fine music selections contributed here. I've always thought that I had a pretty varied, ecclectic collection of things to listen to, but you folks continually turn me on to some new enjoyable sounds making my collection that much better.   Great job, Alex. 

Also, it's been a year that I've had my Salks now and I want to extend a sincere "Thank You" to Jim Salk... for everything. Let's just say that they brighten up even my "gloomiest" days. Job well done!!

TJC712

« Reply #615 on: 23 Dec 2009, 10:44 pm »
Sorry, I feel that I've been piling up posts lately but we close down for a few days around the holidays so I've been listening to a lot of music. Anyway, a virtual lock for "must have" quality CD's is Dave Grusin's Discovered Again, a Sheffield Lab recording. Great cast; great session. Just listen... speaks for itself.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #616 on: 24 Dec 2009, 02:29 pm »
TJC712,

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to All!!

I just got the Oppo back and can play again!!

The Dave Grusin cds are all pretty good and demo cds for sure.
I dont have one I really do not like.....Mountain Dance, Discovered Again etc...

The GRP label has many cds with great artists that depending on your tastes will really show off your system and artists talents..

These are demo cd's!!

Later
All the best!

Alex

aa

TJC712

« Reply #617 on: 24 Dec 2009, 06:31 pm »
Another disk showcasing that fine "Sheffield Lab" technology sound is Pat Coil's Steps featuring another strong cast of musicians playing a variety of easy listening "smooth jazz". It features a good deal of Paulihno Da Costa percussion accompanyment to a strong rythm section.

Art_Chicago

« Reply #618 on: 26 Dec 2009, 08:52 pm »
Jazz at its best:

Also highly recomend Brubeck's '59 classic recording - Time Out. There's a 50 yr anniversary edition that has 2 cd's and a dvd. 2nd cd is live Brubeck stuff from Newport over a 3 year period. Can find "used" pretty inexpensively... Great buy! 

These are a few other well recorded oldies that I pulled out lately and think may hit your (Alex) sweet spot: Jeff Lorber/Flipside, Joe Sample/Old Places Old Faces, Fourplay/Between the Sheets.

Time Out is a classic, and the remastered version that i got sounds very well, the sax in particular.

Listening to Dave Matthews Band's Big Whiskey and The GrooGrux King now. I do not remember if it was recommended yet, but it is a great CD! There is no a weak cut out of 13. Very well recorded, IMO.

mathgeek97

« Reply #619 on: 27 Dec 2009, 02:05 pm »
Another digging-through-old-CDs-rediscovery moment:
Elton John - Tumbleweed Connection.  I've been listening to this one a lot lately.  It's very well recorded, but I never noticed how well until I had the Salks.  I'd vote for the track, My Father's Gun, as being a good demo.  Good dynamics and separation of instruments, and at the risk of sounding like a broken record about Jim's speakers, very clear, detailed vocals.

Happy Listening,
Mathgeek97