Re: Outstanding Demo CD's etc...
« Reply #541 on: 13 Nov 2009, 05:40 pm »
Your Welcome!

Alex
 aa

BobM

« Reply #542 on: 13 Nov 2009, 06:01 pm »
You want to know something funny? I put these into a spreadsheet and sorted them real quick. There were on 2 duplicate entries out of the 254 listings. Nice job keeping the list unique everyone.

Now if anyone has a site where they can post the spreadsheet and make it available for download I would be happy to send it to you so everyone can have it.

Coytee

« Reply #543 on: 13 Nov 2009, 06:54 pm »
Ding ding...  I'd love to see it (getting ready to peruse the thread)

"punk at nxs.net"

yes  "punk" 

:o  :D

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #544 on: 13 Nov 2009, 07:00 pm »
Wow!

BobM... I am surprised, I went thru them all day yesterday at the hospital, chemo time for my wife...and I found several dups and deleted them..to only have these 2 is really good to me.

254 entries, what a nice stocking stuffer this would make...a real nice demo quality set of cds!!

Some of the lines have one, two or more albums listed, so it may be more than 254?

Please send me a PM and I will send you my email for the sheet.

Thanks
Alex

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #545 on: 15 Nov 2009, 01:06 am »
OK back to the recommendations:

George harrison, Jeff Lynne, Bob Dylan, Tom Petty, and Roy Orbison whats not to like with this eclectic bunch:

The Traveling Wilburys...2 CD / DVD Set.

http://www.amazon.com/Traveling-Wilburys-CD-DVD/dp/B000P0J024/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1258246841&sr=8-1

The first CD is really awesome on the SongTowers...what bass from these gems, sub-woofers need not apply here!!  aa

The neat thing is you can watch the DVD and then listen to the HDCD cuts on the other 2 cds which are done relly nice..

Play it LOUD and smile alot!!

Highly Recommended!!
Alex :rock:

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #546 on: 15 Nov 2009, 05:00 am »
I opened a Salk owners google group.

http://groups.google.com/group/salk-owners

If BobM sends me an email address, I will send him an invite, and he can upload the file, or if he emails me the file, I will upload the file to the group.  I set the group up as public, and anyone will be able to download the file.

TJHUB

« Reply #547 on: 17 Nov 2009, 01:58 am »
Very nice Alex!  What a HUGE help!  :thumb:

I scanned through the list and while many of my favorite stuff has already been mentioned, I just started listening to Keiko Matsui.  She is a piano player that mixes contemporary jazz, electronica, and new age with a Japanese flavor that is both unique and interesting.  The music is VERY dynamic with mainly fantastic piano (which I'm a sucker for), sax, and drums and a bass line that digs deep.  The sound quality is exceptional.  Thus far I've only heard two of her albums: "Walls Of Akendora" and "Sapphire".  Both are very good.  This is not normally my kind of music, but I really like her stuff a lot.  It's mostly instrumental with a few track that have vocals.

One of my favorite tracks is "Crystal Shadow" on "Walls Of Akendora"; very cool. 

BobM

« Reply #548 on: 17 Nov 2009, 02:12 pm »
file sent - look for it on the favorite posting site in the near future

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #549 on: 17 Nov 2009, 02:26 pm »
I was changing interconnects around on my Buffalo Dac last night and pulled out Indigo Girls "Rite of Passage" to listen to.  Perhaps its the new dac, but there are detail there that I hadn't heard before, making me realize that this was a better reference cd than I had realized-- and most of the cuts are very good music.

intamin22

« Reply #550 on: 17 Nov 2009, 02:38 pm »
Iron And Wine - The Shepherd's Dog "Flightless Bird, American Mouth"

Just picked up the cd yesterday for that song, and the entire cd is very good and is a good quality recording as well.

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #551 on: 17 Nov 2009, 03:29 pm »
I opened a Salk owners google group.

http://groups.google.com/group/salk-owners

If BobM sends me an email address, I will send him an invite, and he can upload the file, or if he emails me the file, I will upload the file to the group.  I set the group up as public, and anyone will be able to download the file.

file sent - look for it on the favorite posting site in the near future

The file has been uploaded and should be available for anyone to download.

ctouhey

« Reply #552 on: 17 Nov 2009, 05:50 pm »

The file has been uploaded and should be available for anyone to download.

Got it.  Thanks!

Also, there are 3 tracks from a tribute album, "Two Rooms: Celebrating the Songs of Elton John & Bernie Taupin", that I like to use to demo speakers.

Track #3:  "Come Down In Time" - Sting - For the bass guitar and his vocals
Track #7: "Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word" - Joe Cocker - For vocals and Sax
Track #14: "Sacrifice" - Sinead O'Connor - For incredible dymanic range

Since there are various artists recorded at various times, there is great track-to-track variability in quality.

Chris

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #553 on: 18 Nov 2009, 12:17 am »
So Cool!!

Many thanks for posting the file!!

I will start now keeping the list and add to the posts in a section 3 listing when we get 100 or so new recommendations!

I like Keiko Matsui, but do not have any of her cd's I will look into your recommendations for sure!

I hate to say I have heard of Indigo Girls but dont am not familiar with any of their stuff..but again I will check this out for sure...this is what is neat about this thread.
Discovering new stuff that is great!

All the Best
Alex

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #554 on: 21 Nov 2009, 08:35 pm »
Has anyone listened to Peter Gabriels "Up" album?

I saw several comments and have ordered it.

All the best
Alex
 aa

TJC712

« Reply #555 on: 22 Nov 2009, 01:12 am »

All the best
Alex
 aa

Big fan of Peter Gabriel, but this (as all of his cd's) is certainly an acquired taste requiring multiple listens before appreciating. He's a musically eccentric fellow who seems to be infatuated with experimenting with rare percussion/pipe/wind/keybd instruments. Most of his work has varied assortments of real interesting rythms/lyrics... as I said before, I enjoy listening... usually well recorded. This particular album features a cut ("I Grieve") that I played often when my dad passed away a few yrs ago... maybe I'm biased.  Happy listening! 

elee532

« Reply #556 on: 26 Nov 2009, 07:15 pm »
Love it! My favorite since Security. If you have SACD capability, definitely try to pick up the SACD for the surround mix.

TJC712

« Reply #557 on: 28 Nov 2009, 02:53 am »
The day(s) off have provided me a little time to listen to some tunes while working around the house, so some recommendations from today: Poncho Sanchez - Psychedelic Blues... tasty upbeat latin jazz/percussion, Norah Jones new release The Fall... another solid work from her albeit displaying a little edge this time, and-for us older folk-Oscar Peterson Trio with the Nelson Riddle Orchestra... some great standards by a first class trio backed by a great orchestra with some fine strings on the Verve Music label. Three completely different feel Cd's, all worthy of a listen. Happy Holiday to Alex & all!

MaxCast

« Reply #558 on: 28 Nov 2009, 02:59 am »

All the best
Alex
 aa

I get some awesome surround effects going on with that song (stereo version).  It is pretty amazing, I love cranking that one.

TJC712

« Reply #559 on: 28 Nov 2009, 06:44 am »
Ya know, something else I was listening to tonight with some very nice tracks on it is These Streets by Paolo Nutini. He's got a real good sound. Don't believe that I've seen anybody mention this here before. If I missed someone else mentioning already, my apology. It's a pleasant, easy listen.