Outstanding Demo CD's etc...

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: Outstanding Demo CD's etc...
« Reply #420 on: 11 Sep 2009, 08:42 pm »
My memory is horrible, but after 21 pages I've forgotten if we've talked about "Bond".
Four gals with strings and a bit of a fast drum beat.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V0mqrpY31s

Bob

p.s. FWIW, I agree with Don about the Beatles. Kinda tired of hearing about them after all these years. Nothing new, they just wiped the proverbial dust off the same ol'....same ol' dredged up tunes we've been listening to for decades.
Although, you have to give them credit, they sure know how to keep the money rolling in while they're nearing "the golden years".  :roll:
I envy their retirement plan.
Sorry for the rant. Ok, no....not really.

Art_Chicago

« Reply #421 on: 11 Sep 2009, 11:35 pm »
Bob,
"Four gals with strings and a bit of a fast drum beat."
Pretty cool clip. yeah...  Am I missing something else besides their physical attractiveness ( I do like these four performers).
Art

fishinbob

« Reply #422 on: 12 Sep 2009, 12:33 am »
BOND = Yanni with cleavage :lol: Lots of it.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #423 on: 12 Sep 2009, 02:27 am »
Am I missing something else besides their physical attractiveness ( I do like these four performers).
Um....Not sure what you're missing.  :dunno:
They sound great, the CD has excellent sound quality and the music is good. 
I hope that eventually, you stop missing what they have to offer.

Bob

Art_Chicago

« Reply #424 on: 12 Sep 2009, 02:42 am »
Am I missing something else besides their physical attractiveness ( I do like these four performers).
Um....Not sure what you're missing.  :dunno:
They sound great, the CD has excellent sound quality and the music is good. 
I hope that eventually, you stop missing what they have to offer.

Bob

well, I think the producer did a great job. He put together the sexiest gals who can play violins /cellos in a quartet. Kudos!
I hope I will always enjoy what they have got to offer...
 Music is not their strongest side, IMO  :D

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
« Reply #425 on: 12 Sep 2009, 03:16 am »

Rasputina~ Wish You Were Here

Girls playing cellos  :thumb:

Now remember who's posting this link so they are not playing clasical music  :lol:

Transylvanian Concubine - Interview with the Vampire

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #426 on: 13 Sep 2009, 11:40 pm »
Hello,

Back from a short vacation and I will be posting a few new ones shortly.

About the Beatles comments, I am ok with posting about the quality of the sound if anyone thinks they are what I started this thread about in the first place...really good, well recorded cds. If you think any of the remastered cds are worthy of being a "demo' level cd let us know.

Any other comments probably would be best in the Beatles thread that Don mentioned a few posts back.

All the best
Alex
 :D

K Shep

« Reply #427 on: 14 Sep 2009, 01:16 am »
Welcome back.  Here is a CD that has found its way into my current rotation.

Laurie Anderson - Life on a String

http://www.amazon.com/Life-String-Laurie-Anderson/dp/B000050K9A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1252890764&sr=1-1

Kirk

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #428 on: 14 Sep 2009, 11:32 pm »
Ok,

My last Elton John, remastered selection was:
Tumbleweed Connection.

http://www.amazon.com/Tumbleweed-Connection-Elton-John/dp/B000001EG4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1252970736&sr=8-1

It is a really good recording, I honestly do not recognize many of the songs on this cd. The quality for such an old recording, Jan 1971 is about as good as I think it can get if you want to hear what Elton sounded like back then.

I would not say this is demo quality, but some of the re-mastered cuts come close in some aspects. If I had to choose only one if the three I recently listened to, this would be it!

All the best
Alex :D

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #429 on: 14 Sep 2009, 11:39 pm »
Ok,

One more, Alanis Morrisettte - Jagged Little Pill Acoustic

This was KShep's recommendation and my first Alanis Morrisette cd ever.

Its really wonderful and I would put this in the demo category for this type of music.

I like female voice and even though her voice is not my favorite, its really, really good. I think her voice can cut glass at times..this girl can hold a note!!!! WOW!

Thanks for the recommendation. I wil have to explore some of her other works...this is labled - Acoustic....any reason why?

All the best
Alex
 :)

K Shep

« Reply #430 on: 15 Sep 2009, 01:56 am »
To mark the 10-year anniversary of the 30 million-selling Jagged Little Pill, Alanis Morissette decided to release an acoustic version of the very same 13 songs.

I copied this from Amazon.

Kirk

rlee8394

« Reply #431 on: 15 Sep 2009, 02:26 am »
Kinda tired of hearing about them after all these years. Nothing new, they just wiped the proverbial dust off the same ol'....same ol' dredged up tunes we've been listening to for decades.

Hmmm...couldn't one make the same argument for the entire classical music genre? Hold the flames, just an observation.

Ron

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #432 on: 15 Sep 2009, 02:00 pm »
Ok guys lets stop this one right now.... :nono:

If you have comments about the new Beatles remasterd cd's and think they are worthy of demo quality then please post....if not please dont...

The intent here is to have open, informative chats about what really good out there...

I have tried to be honest about the recommendations many of you have made......are they good, are they not so good...are they demo quality or not...even if I did not like the atrist or content. But I try to do it in a positive way.

I dont want us to start throwing stones about this group or that group...this is not what this thread is about.

So lets keep on track!!   aa

Awhile back I asked if you had only ONE cd to pick out what would that be??

Many of you have not replied??

I think so far we have:

Steely dan - Aja
Nil Lofgren - Acoustic Live

All the Best
Alex.....

earthbound

« Reply #433 on: 15 Sep 2009, 06:34 pm »
Ok guys lets stop this one right now.... :nono:

. . . .

Awhile back I asked if you had only ONE cd to pick out what would that be??

Many of you have not replied??

I think so far we have:

Steely dan - Aja
Nil Lofgren - Acoustic Live

All the Best
Alex.....

Well, if you're going to get all huffy about it :wink: I would have to give a big thumbs up for Jethro Tull's Stand Up:thumb:

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #434 on: 15 Sep 2009, 06:53 pm »
Hello,

Jethro Tull's - Stand Up!

Ok let me ask you why you think this is the number one CD for you??

The reason I ask is I am not really not a Jethro Tull expert..is it imaging, clarity, dynamic range...overall performance or all the above?

Alex

(less huffy now)  :P

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #435 on: 16 Sep 2009, 12:31 am »
TJC712,

Morph the Cat - Donald Fagan....got the 2 disc version. I only listened to the 2 ch disc, not the high res version, yet.

What to say:

WOW, Gorgeous, Lucious, Fantastic, Great, Awesome....

Whoever recorded and or mixed this cd has their act together.
This is a 10 out of a 10 CD.

Jim Salk, many of these selections could be demo selections for your Salk demo discs for sure.

The overall presentation is excellent, the sounds are crisp and clear, the imaging etc is just first class.

Even though I am not a real Donald Fagan fan this is a must have cd.

I need to know if any other if his cds are of this high caliber quality??

Help!!

All the best
Alex

NOTE: I have to say that on the SongTowers this is a real treat!!

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #436 on: 16 Sep 2009, 05:28 am »
Alex....

It is a really good recording, I honestly do not recognize many of the songs on this cd.

The reason I ask is I am not really not a Jethro Tull expert..is it imaging, clarity, dynamic range...overall performance or all the above?

Let me ask you a question...from the above quotes....what type of music do you listen to at home ? Thanks....

TJC712

« Reply #437 on: 16 Sep 2009, 06:09 am »
TJC712,

Morph the Cat - Donald Fagan....got the 2 disc version. I only listened to the 2 ch disc, not the high res version, yet.

What to say:

WOW, Gorgeous, Lucious, Fantastic, Great, Awesome....

Whoever recorded and or mixed this cd has their act together.
This is a 10 out of a 10 CD.

Jim Salk, many of these selections could be demo selections for your Salk demo discs for sure.

The overall presentation is excellent, the sounds are crisp and clear, the imaging etc is just first class.

I need to know if any other if his cds are of this high caliber quality??

Help!!

All the best
Alex

NOTE: I have to say that on the SongTowers this is a real treat!!

This is why it was considered to be a "badge of honor" for a musician to make it to the final cut of any track on a Steely Dan/Donald Fagan album. Fagan's a noted mental case in getting the sound "just right". Pick up SD's Two Against Nature and Fagan's Nightfly. You will enjoy!

martyo

« Reply #438 on: 16 Sep 2009, 09:19 am »
Nice speakers there Chris.  :lol:

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #439 on: 16 Sep 2009, 06:16 pm »
lonewolfny42,

The music I listen at home is varied...seeing how my personal time is limited because of all of lifes ups and downs...I find myself listenting to mostly the stuff that we have discussed in these 20 some odd pages of recommendations. We have no background music playing in the house.

When I make comments like those that you have cited, like "I honestly dont recognize this"  or "I am not a real fan of"...ie D. Fagan, its because I know there are people out there that are fans and others like me that are not but want them to know that you might want to listen or re-listen to these selections because they are that good.

So when i say its great but I dont recognize any of the songs on the disc, its just that...some people look for songs that they know in making the judgment of whether a cd is good or bad etc...in my case i want people to know that even though a disc may not contain music they are familiar with that the disc and material is awesome nonetheless...

In my case with Morph the Cat, based on my opinions and past observations I would never have thought to give this a listen to at all...man was I pleasantly surprised.

In the case of Fagan, my opinion of his has been always mediocre...but after listening to the Morph the Cat I was blown away at the overall quality even though I never heard any of these tunes .....

So back to what do you listen to at home:

Of the 300 or so cds I have, most are jazz orientated, lots of new age stuff...lots of female vocalists...some pop-rock stuff I hardly ever go back to listen to...mainly due to the quality of the recordings and mixing etc..the material or rather sound is good on the am radio but thats where it stops!! Good or bad...

The material you sent me awhile back, being a wonderful mix of many different artists and genre's opened up new venues that I am forever greatlful!! aa

Hope this helps...

Alex
 :wink: