Outstanding Demo CD's etc...

adydula

• Restricted
Re: Outstanding Demo CD's etc...
« Reply #260 on: 17 Jul 2009, 01:48 am »
lonewolfny42,

Just listened to Ben Hapers "Fight For Your Mind" and its really good.

Very well recorded and the sounds are so nicely articulated!! :D

Oh and its really is hot!!

There is another thread started by Dennis Murphy looking for some really heavy duty bass cds for the Wash Dc gathering.

I got the S.M.V. Thunder selection by Stanley Clarke, Marcus Miller, and Victor Wooten.

Man this is really nice...what talented artists and what a nice recording.

Start with track 10 Lil Victa and hang on!!

Big Smiles on these two selections...very good for demo'ing your SongTowers or whatever!!

Thanks Again
Alex

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #261 on: 17 Jul 2009, 02:39 am »
Dang.   I didn't order that one.  Just finished up the HT1 TL's.  I was rattling projection screens and door jams at 29 Hz--not bad for a single W18 woofer. 

oldmp3

« Reply #262 on: 17 Jul 2009, 02:43 am »
Holly Cole's "God Will" from Blame It On My Youth (written by Lyle Lovett).  The Best of Holly Cole also has some particularly nice tracks with string bass.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #263 on: 17 Jul 2009, 02:10 pm »
Hey Dennis...

You should get it anyway, it will be a standard for really fine bass....and these guys are the best....really fine stuff.

Oldmp3,

I have several Holly Cole cd's and great appreciation of here talents, I will look into this particular cut asap...thanks for the suggestion!

By the way has anyone heard of any good recpordings of the following female singers:

1. Bette Midler

2. Bonnie Rait

All the best
Alex aa

Airborn

« Reply #264 on: 18 Jul 2009, 12:11 am »
Ben Harper, Fight For Your Mind is an excellent demo CD IMHO. Not a bad track on the whole album and quite a few that will give any system a workout. 
Hey, Alex, no love for me?  I recommended Fight for Your Mind to you way back in April!  I'm just kidding...I'm glad your enjoying some of Ben Harper's excellent sounding recordings.  Besides, I would trust Chris' and George's recommendations more than mine too :wink:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #266 on: 20 Jul 2009, 12:16 am »
Airborn!!

This is just for YOU! 

XXX OOO XXX OOO XXX OOO XXX

aa  aa  aa  aa  aa

With so many good suggestions and recommendations I am sorry I overlooked your
post back in April.

I was going to take "ALL" the selections and list them in  a spreadsheet and maybe make them a 'sticky' for easy
reference.

I do find myself  going back thru the pages of posts from time to time to see what I indeed did forget or
not try yet...

So little time, so many great posts....and $$$$$

I have been away this weekend riding around the mountains in a C6 Z06!!! (for those of you that know) with my wonderful wife, eating and sightseeing in the North Carolina Blue Ridge mountains....

Back to work tomorrow!!

All the best
Alex

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #267 on: 20 Jul 2009, 12:22 am »
lonewolfny42

Yes I do like jazz and I do have Time Out, Oscar Petersens Tracks...both really good to me.

The others I do not have so I will look into them!

Yes 14 pages, and I am glad people are still droping by with suggestions and to say hello.

I know lots of these cds in this thread are in other threads but its nice to have one here residing in the Salk Signature Sound area.....if it werent for Jim and his elves making these SongTowers I have I would never have started this thread in the first place!!

Funny how life twists and turns....so many really nice people just enjoying music, with all the crap in the real world its nice to lay down lifes 'stuff' and just enjoy the music!!

Thanks again!
Alex

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #268 on: 20 Jul 2009, 01:20 pm »
I have been away this weekend riding around the mountains in a C6 Z06!!!
  :drool: :drool: :drool:
Lucky, lucky man.  aa

orientalexpress

« Reply #269 on: 20 Jul 2009, 04:08 pm »
If u like Elvis,try this soundtrack http://disney.go.com/disneyrecords/Soundtracks/liloandstitch/index.html
the last 3 track is classical went from 20db to 100db in a hurry.great dynamic

TJC712

« Reply #270 on: 22 Jul 2009, 03:08 am »
Been away for a while (just plain old busy), nice to check back in. Just treated myself to new gear for my 50th (Wyred 4 Sound amp & pre; PS Audio DAC) so I've been finding time to listen to some music again.  A belated thanks to all you guys for some tremendous suggestions (as well as Alex for starting this thread).  An interesting listen is The Great Longing from Phil Roy. A refreshing blend of cool, ecclectic things; well recorded stuff.  Nice to be hearing the music again!

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #271 on: 22 Jul 2009, 01:58 pm »
By the way has anyone heard of any good recpordings of the following female singers:

1. Bette Midler

2. Bonnie Rait

All the best
Alex aa
Bonnie Raitt's "Luck of the Draw" was mastered by Doug Sax (an automatic mark of quality) and is excellent--- however, avoid the later remaster which compressed the sound.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #272 on: 23 Jul 2009, 02:13 am »
TJC712,

Welcome back!!!!  :D

Great to have you around...I dont know Phil Roy but will check it out, thanks!

How do you like your new 'stuff'?

S Clark..I will definitely get the Bonnie Rait cd and will avoid the remaster! Thanks also!

All the Best
Alex

TJC712

« Reply #273 on: 23 Jul 2009, 04:09 am »
Thank you Alex.  Nice to relax and here some tunes again! The "stuff" sounds great! Without gettung off topic too much... picked up the Wyred 4 Sound ST1000 amp and STP Pre along with their modded PS Audio DLIII Dac... great stuff! EJ Sarmento over at W4S is an absolute pleasure to deal with!

Some tracks tonite that hit the spot: live version of Harbor Lights by Boz Scaggs; Manhattan and They Say Its Spring by Blossom Dearie; Ring of Life by Metheny/Mehldau; Ray Brown-Some of My Best Friends are Singers CD; Clapton's Back Home CD. Listened to a bunch of Ben Harper stuff... good recco guys.

Alex... hope all is well on the family front... good thoughts your way!

TJC712

« Reply #274 on: 23 Jul 2009, 04:48 am »
Phil Roy has another CD called Grouchyfriendly that's also worth the price of admission.

K Shep

« Reply #275 on: 24 Jul 2009, 12:40 am »
I have been looking for acoustic recordings lately they sound great through my ST RT's.

Alanis Morrisettte - Jagged Little Pill Acoustic (Enhanced)
http://www.amazon.com/Jagged-Little-Acoustic-Alanis-Morissette/dp/B0009WFF0Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1248395439&sr=1-2
Alice in Chains - Unplugged Live
http://www.amazon.com/Unplugged-Alice-Chains/dp/B000002BM5/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1248395611&sr=1-8
Rodrigo y Gabriela by Rodrigo y Gabriela
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_m_3_3?url=search-alias%3Dpopular&field-keywords=rodrigo+y+gabriela&sprefix=rod

All great quality recordings.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #276 on: 24 Jul 2009, 03:03 am »
Hello K Shep,

Thanks for the recommendations, I will check them out for sure!

TJC712,

Thanks for the kind words, we are hanging in here and just take each day, week as it comes! Checking into your other recommendations, I like Eric Clapton, and look forward to the others, I am not familiar with...this is great, new ground to explore!!

Later
Alex
 :D

jazzcat1

« Reply #277 on: 24 Jul 2009, 02:17 pm »
I have been looking for acoustic recordings lately they sound great through my ST RT's.

Alanis Morrisettte - Jagged Little Pill Acoustic (Enhanced)
http://www.amazon.com/Jagged-Little-Acoustic-Alanis-Morissette/dp/B0009WFF0Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1248395439&sr=1-2
Alice in Chains - Unplugged Live
http://www.amazon.com/Unplugged-Alice-Chains/dp/B000002BM5/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1248395611&sr=1-8
Rodrigo y Gabriela by Rodrigo y Gabriela
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_m_3_3?url=search-alias%3Dpopular&field-keywords=rodrigo+y+gabriela&sprefix=rod

All great quality recordings.

+1 on Rodrigo and Gabriela! Love the acoustics on that CD. Can't wait till I can listen on the HT2-TL.

I don't know if it has been mentioned in these threads but AIX has a 96/24 PCM Stereo DVD with Laurence Juber called Guitar Noir. Very good recording, but then again any AIX title is done very well.

K Shep

« Reply #278 on: 24 Jul 2009, 11:23 pm »
Thank you Alex,
This a great thread.  I too enjoy Ben Hapers "Fight For Your Mind".

I will take some time and read throught the thread so I don't repeat recommendations.  I like Electronic music and have a few to pass along, just a cusory pass through, I don't see many listed.  Anybody out there dig Electronic?

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #279 on: 24 Jul 2009, 11:31 pm »
I started this thread to find those really good/great recordings that you would use to demo or show off the wonderful characteristics of the Salk SongTowers.

I have been out of the 2 ch audio 'hobby' for years and gravitated back in via the PC and home theater and the new high resolutions and sound codecs etc...

So I was and still am fishing for really good material, recorded well, exceptional dynamic range etc....

I was not really looking for a particular type of music but like many we all have our preferences and individual tastes.

When the two come together on good stereo equipment its 'magic' for sure.

So if you have some , what you think are exceptional electronic music recommendations they are very much welcome!!

All the best
Alex