My HT3 speakers are here!

BikeWNC

My HT3 speakers are here!
« on: 23 May 2008, 03:14 am »
I received the HT3s Tuesday and finally unpacked them this evening and hooked them to a Denon receiver to get them playing.  Right now they are just sitting on the floor, without plinths, crudely aligned, but they still sound very good.  I hope I can find some time this weekend to get my better gear working with them and start moving them into position. 

Andy

rydenfan

Re: My HT3 speakers are here!
« Reply #1 on: 23 May 2008, 01:36 pm »
Where are the pics??????  :duh:

Big Red Machine

« Reply #2 on: 23 May 2008, 02:50 pm »
Pretty exciting times.  They'll take everything you give them.  I haven't found their limits yet.

carusoracer

« Reply #3 on: 23 May 2008, 03:04 pm »
Congrats! Welcome to the Salk Sound!

I have not found the limits either :beer:

BikeWNC

« Reply #4 on: 23 May 2008, 03:49 pm »
I'll get some pics up this weekend.  Right now I just have them playing through the Denon through the day.  These things put out some bass!

Big Red Machine

« Reply #5 on: 23 May 2008, 04:17 pm »
Did you get a TC Sounds woofer, or one of the new "replacement" woofers?

koiman

« Reply #6 on: 23 May 2008, 04:22 pm »
Is there a different woofer choice now..

BikeWNC

« Reply #7 on: 23 May 2008, 04:34 pm »
Did you get a TC Sounds woofer, or one of the new "replacement" woofers?

The TC Sounds woofer.

Nuance

« Reply #8 on: 23 May 2008, 04:40 pm »
Congratulations!  What finish did you go with?

I'll be looking forward to your pics.  ;)

BikeWNC

« Reply #9 on: 23 May 2008, 04:43 pm »
Congratulations!  What finish did you go with?

I'll be looking forward to your pics.  ;)

It's crotch mahogany.  They are very similar to a pair that was posted last year.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #10 on: 23 May 2008, 05:09 pm »
YooperII
 :wink:

Big Red Machine

« Reply #11 on: 23 May 2008, 05:24 pm »
Is there a different woofer choice now..

TC Sounds went belly up last year.  Jim found a replacement woofer/company and he had a limited quantity of the old on hand.  I know he's pleased with the new woofer and I was wondering when folks would start having them installed when his inventory ran out.

Nuance

« Reply #12 on: 25 May 2008, 05:52 am »

It's crotch mahogany.  They are very similar to a pair that was posted last year.
Great choice!  The grain on the wood is amazing.
TC Sounds went belly up last year.  Jim found a replacement woofer/company and he had a limited quantity of the old on hand.  I know he's pleased with the new woofer and I was wondering when folks would start having them installed when his inventory ran out.
I think funkmonkey mentioned that he'd be getting the new woofer on his custom pair of HT3's.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #13 on: 25 May 2008, 02:48 pm »
[..
[/quote]

[/quote]

I know Jim found a possible new source, but he hasn't sent me a sample, and I don't know whether any actually exist yet.  We would have to check to make sure it's really a drop-in replacement without any changes in the crossover. 

Philistine

« Reply #14 on: 25 May 2008, 03:14 pm »
TC Sounds still exist, they just changed their business model (prices and branding) from what I understand. 
My SVS sub has a couple of 12 inch drivers that look 'similar', not sure were SVS source from.

funkmonkey

« Reply #15 on: 25 May 2008, 08:26 pm »
I am waiting for the new woofers.  Jim said they are based on the TC sounds design with some minor improvements that should even further reduce distortion.  I'm not sure who the new supplier is, but am anxious to find out how they sound.  Jim was pretty excited about them, so I am sure he has something solid lined up.  I am sure Dennis will be the first (other than Jim) to hear the new woofer.  Perhaps my HT3's will be the guinea pigs.  :o

Big Red Machine

« Reply #16 on: 26 May 2008, 11:35 am »
I am waiting for the new woofers.  Jim said they are based on the TC sounds design with some minor improvements that should even further reduce distortion.  I'm not sure who the new supplier is, but am anxious to find out how they sound.  Jim was pretty excited about them, so I am sure he has something solid lined up.  I am sure Dennis will be the first (other than Jim) to hear the new woofer.  Perhaps my HT3's will be the guinea pigs.  :o

You be a trendsetter! :thankyou:

BikeWNC

« Reply #17 on: 28 Jul 2008, 11:56 pm »
I've been moving things around a bit, swapping out cables, placing room treatments and doing more listening lately.  I had been bi-wiring with Straley and Zu Ibis cables but I think I like the Zu Ibis with the jumpers better.  More natural sounding to my ears.  There's still more to do with speaker placement but it sounds really good as is with very little toe- in.  More later as it develops.   :D

Andy

Big Red Machine

« Reply #18 on: 29 Jul 2008, 01:00 am »
I'm using nil toe in as well.

martyo

« Reply #19 on: 29 Jul 2008, 08:35 am »
I'm using nil toe in as well.

Ditto.   8)