portable amp recommendation for Shure SE530's

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
portable amp recommendation for Shure SE530's
« on: 5 Dec 2009, 03:44 pm »
I am looking for recommendations on a good portable headphone amp to use with Shure SE530's paired with either an iPod Classic or iPod Touch.

I want good sound in a small package that is easy to travel with.

Right now I am thinking either something from Ray Samuels (not sure which model) or maybe something from Head Amp.

I look forward to hearing what people have to say.

Thanks,

George

TF1216

• Industry Participant
Re: portable amp recommendation for Shure SE530's
« Reply #1 on: 5 Dec 2009, 06:44 pm »
How much are you looking to spend George?

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 5 Dec 2009, 06:54 pm »
How much are you looking to spend George?

Whatever gets me a quality product that will last a long time (within reason).

George

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 5 Dec 2009, 07:21 pm »
A quick synopsis of what I have learned researching is:

iQube v1 (class D amp)
iQube v2 (built-in DAC)

I use Ibasso D10 (DAC/AMP)  There are other options
This amp offers op amp rolling.

Ray Samuels' new amp is the Shadow which is getting acclaim for its digital volume control

Lots of peeps are awaiting the Pico Slim DAC/AMP to hit the market.  Lots of people like the Pico.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 5 Dec 2009, 07:30 pm »
A quick synopsis of what I have learned researching is:

iQube v1 (class D amp)
iQube v2 (built-in DAC)

I use Ibasso D10 (DAC/AMP)  There are other options
This amp offers op amp rolling.

Ray Samuels' new amp is the Shadow which is getting acclaim for its digital volume control

Lots of peeps are awaiting the Pico Slim DAC/AMP to hit the market.  Lots of people like the Pico.

Thanks Tyler.

The Shadow looks appealing and I know Ray makes get products.

The Pico Slim looks very interesting as well, but doesn't appear to be available yet.

George

mbakes

« Reply #5 on: 8 Dec 2009, 12:58 am »
I just spent a lot of quality time with the Pico Slim this past weekend at our SoFla Meet.  I continue to be amazed by the Slim.  I personally prefer it over the Shadow which I heard in prototype form at CanJam in LA.  The Slim's digital volume control is just flat out better than anything else out there.  To me the Slim sounds more refined than the Shadow.  The Slims volume control comes out of dead silence to perfectly matched sound from both sides from the moment sound begins as you increase the volume.  It has more digital steps than any other amp out there using the digital volume control.  I've heard the Shadow, the TTVJ Millet portable and own the ALO Rx amp.  Anyone of them are good and will serve your purpose well.  The Slim is going to be available in January and the preorder has started on Head-Fi.org.  I should add that the ALO Rx amp is about the size of the iphone/itouch and is a very easy carry for portable use.  The same for the TTVJ amp.  I have not seen the production Shadow but know it is very small.  The Slim has a neat feature.  If you shut the amp off at a particular volume level, when you power it back on, it will slowly increase in volume back to that level.

richidoo

« Reply #6 on: 8 Dec 2009, 01:18 am »
I have the e500s, same thing a couple years older. Very nice cans, you'll love 'em George!! They taught me a lot about my main system. I use a Creative Nomad Jukebox 3 which can drive them directly. It sounds better than my wife's iPod classic, at least without an amp helping. How is the sound of the iTouch?

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 8 Dec 2009, 01:38 am »
I just spent a lot of quality time with the Pico Slim this past weekend at our SoFla Meet.  I continue to be amazed by the Slim.  I personally prefer it over the Shadow which I heard in prototype form at CanJam in LA.  The Slim's digital volume control is just flat out better than anything else out there.  To me the Slim sounds more refined than the Shadow.  The Slims volume control comes out of dead silence to perfectly matched sound from both sides from the moment sound begins as you increase the volume.  It has more digital steps than any other amp out there using the digital volume control.  I've heard the Shadow, the TTVJ Millet portable and own the ALO Rx amp.  Anyone of them are good and will serve your purpose well.  The Slim is going to be available in January and the preorder has started on Head-Fi.org.  I should add that the ALO Rx amp is about the size of the iphone/itouch and is a very easy carry for portable use.  The same for the TTVJ amp.  I have not seen the production Shadow but know it is very small.  The Slim has a neat feature.  If you shut the amp off at a particular volume level, when you power it back on, it will slowly increase in volume back to that level.

Thanks for your post.

This is exactly the type of info I was looking for.

Do you think Justin will really come out with the units in January?

George

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 8 Dec 2009, 01:40 am »
I have the e500s, same thing a couple years older. Very nice cans, you'll love 'em George!! They taught me a lot about my main system. I use a Creative Nomad Jukebox 3 which can drive them directly. It sounds better than my wife's iPod classic, at least without an amp helping. How is the sound of the iTouch?

I don't yet have an iTouch, but I am thinking about getting one.

I am currently using a 6th generation iPod Classic.

I have had the Shure SE530's for about 1 1/2 years now and really like them.  It took a little time getting used to having IEM's, but now I can't imagine not having a pair to use when I travel.

George

mbakes

« Reply #9 on: 8 Dec 2009, 05:10 pm »

Thanks for your post.

George

I believe he will have them in January but there are no guarantees.  All it takes is for one element of the process be delayed and all is delayed.  If you are interested, get in now as he has commitments for about 170 in a day since he started the preorder thread.  This run will be limited to 250.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 8 Dec 2009, 05:36 pm »

Thanks for your post.

George

I believe he will have them in January but there are no guarantees.  All it takes is for one element of the process be delayed and all is delayed.  If you are interested, get in now as he has commitments for about 170 in a day since he started the preorder thread.  This run will be limited to 250.

Already did.

I was one of the many yesterday.

Figured it can't hurt to secure a place while I figure out what to do.

George

saisunil

« Reply #11 on: 8 Dec 2009, 06:59 pm »
I wish I was not reading this thread; Just put myself on the pre-order list  :nono:

Rocket

« Reply #12 on: 22 May 2010, 02:15 pm »
Hi,

It is unusual for me to dig up an old thread but I have recently purchased a sony nwz a845b 16 gig mp3 player and I'm looking to upgrade its performance.  I would also like to use a headphone amplifier with my laptop and I'm wondering whether you bought the pico slim.

I was also considering purchasing the alo perscription headphone amplifier.  I would like to use the headamp with iem's and full size headphones.

Thanks

Rod

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 22 May 2010, 06:25 pm »
Rod,

I am still waiting for my Pico Slim amp.   :cry:

I am number 93 on the list and all orders up to 87 have been processed, so it looks like it should be here soon.

I'll let you know what I think once I get mine.

George

mbakes

« Reply #14 on: 22 May 2010, 07:04 pm »
I was number 2 so I've had mine for a while now. I use it exclusively with my JH Audio JH13 IEM's and the Slim is outstanding. There is a little pop when you firsts turn it on, which is no big deal. The volume control is as good as I've used. It is smooth and quiet. I had an Rx amp and it is good but not as good as the Slim, imo. If you use the Rx with an iPhone, there is a lot of interference. With the Slim there is very little, if any.

dmatt

« Reply #15 on: 22 May 2010, 07:11 pm »
I'm 229 on the list. :o

I made it into the first 250 but at the rate we're going, I could see my amp sometime in late summer.  Current owners say it is worth it.  I'll be interested in George's impressions.

Those ordering now should understand getting the amp may take a while.

David

Rocket

« Reply #16 on: 23 May 2010, 01:07 am »
Hi,

Thanks for your posts.  I will do some further research regarding the pico slim and alo rx headamps.

I do have to say my patience has worn a little thin at the moment and I'm not sure whether I could handle a prolonged waiting period (its a long story  :().

What is headamp like to deal with?  Are they reliable? Do they stand behind their products?  I think I read that the first 250 were selling for $350US are they still available at this price?

ALO sell a 'Sony Line out Dock Cable ALO Silver FEP Teflon' for $135US'.  Apparently by using this method to connect the sony to the headamp it improves sonics?  Is this true or hyperbole?

Will either product drive full size headphones?

Thanks for your help and sorry for peppering you all with questions.

Regards

Rod

mbakes

« Reply #17 on: 23 May 2010, 02:02 am »
I know Justin at Headamp pretty well through my time in Head-Fi. He is a good guy that makes excellent products and stands behind them. However, he is Headamp so he is unable to get products out as fast as bigger businesses. I will also say that there is no comparison in terms of the quality of the Rx amp and the Slim. The Slim is worth the wait.  I waited a long time since I knew about it from the beginning. I had access to 3 different prototypes. I can understand completely the frustration with having to wait. I knew it was going to be a long time when I decided to buy it but I knew it would be worth it.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #18 on: 23 May 2010, 03:19 pm »
I know Justin at Headamp pretty well through my time in Head-Fi. He is a good guy that makes excellent products and stands behind them. However, he is Headamp so he is unable to get products out as fast as bigger businesses. I will also say that there is no comparison in terms of the quality of the Rx amp and the Slim. The Slim is worth the wait.  I waited a long time since I knew about it from the beginning. I had access to 3 different prototypes. I can understand completely the frustration with having to wait. I knew it was going to be a long time when I decided to buy it but I knew it would be worth it.

Glad to hear that you feel it is worth the wait.

George

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #19 on: 25 May 2010, 02:14 am »
Just got my shipping notice, so I will have the Pico Slim later this week.   :drool:

George