AGDR Audio

dB Cooper

Re: AGDR Audio
« Reply #40 on: 9 Oct 2016, 04:14 am »
adydula (& agdr),
After having this setup running a little longer (and having run all of my headphones from it), I have the following further impressions (subject to the limitation that I do not have a 'stock' O2 on hand to compare to).

It seems like output impedance has a lot to do with what I hear through my IEMs. You might not think that there might be that much of a difference between the stock unit's already quite respectable 0.54Ω output impedance and the near-zero output impedance the booster board gives you if you jumper or short the 1Ω resistors at the output, but apparently there is, at least with my IEMs, which run from 16-36Ω (and probably low-impedance fullsize cans too, just don't have any around to try). Detail is definitely 'cleaner' overall. Bass is tighter, and leaner in the mid-to-upper bass (maybe even seems a little too lean at times with my already lean Ety hf's) but still reaches into the really deep territory with power and 'punch'. Probably more accurate (my SE535's shift from 'warmish' to a little more neutral) but, like any change in an audio setup, sometimes changes can take some time to get used to.

Typical volume settings with the IEMs (and the 0.67X input gain as modified by agdr run around 9 o'clock with the very sensitive Shures, around 10 with the Etys, and 10-11 with the Apples. Generally 10-11 on the 300Ω Senns, with the gain on High.

The high impedance cans, to repeat myself... I hear a little deeper into the mix and instruments separate a little better, but it's subtle. If your favored cans include any under 100Ω, or the other worthwhile improvements like the relays appeal to you, I'd say run don't walk to your nearest agdr dealer  :lol:

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #41 on: 9 Oct 2016, 11:08 pm »
I spent a few hours today comparing the stock O2 against the booster board version. I used my 35 ohm headphones. Bioth amps have the output resistors still in the O2 main board.

That said I played many of my favorite well recorded songs and I was hard pressed to any real world difference between the two...subjectively though once again my ear favors the booster board "sound" in the totality of the presentation.

I find it hard to use glittering generalities but the difference between the two is subjective to me...the booster board sound seems clearer or more detailed...its just a nicer presentation overall to me.

Both work well but the booster board makes it just a little better when I am listening.

Alex
« Last Edit: 14 Dec 2019, 01:29 pm by adydula »

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #42 on: 10 Oct 2016, 10:37 pm »
Well...

I just shorted out the "4" 1 ohm resistors to remove them out of the circuit and now the output impedance is essentially "0".

Bass sounds great...I think this small change actually has made a good improvement in this area....still need now to go back and do a better listen with the normal O2.

Alex

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #43 on: 11 Oct 2016, 12:36 am »
But what was the purpose of those resistors? (I'd hazard a guess at short-circuit protection?)

dB Cooper

« Reply #44 on: 11 Oct 2016, 02:41 am »
The original output IC's are "dual core" (there are two amp circuits on the IC, so it could be run as a stereo pair.) The original design ran one chip on each channel, with both sections paralleled to increase available current delivery. The resistors are there to balance the output of the two sections, and have the side effect of determining the output impedance.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #45 on: 19 Oct 2016, 02:03 am »
Heres a simple modification to the original O2 I just completed. It requires 2 OPA 1688 Texas Instruments op amps that were just recently released for headphone amp circuits etc....I used them in building AGDR's Super Cmoys amps to great success.

I can not take credit for this idea, a person over at diyaudio actually did this mod first and I had to try it!

Its basically removing the two 4556's and replacing with the TI OPA 1688's which are very small and abit difficult to solder. You have to get a 8pin dip to SOIC adapter. Solder a 1688 to each, making sure Pin1 is correct, remove the 4556's in ther O2 and replace with these new op amps and Voila! Instant new O2.

It sounds great!

Take a look:
Alex

dB Cooper

« Reply #46 on: 19 Oct 2016, 02:35 am »
Link to the thread? Claimed benefits? My AGDR Booster Board is not going anywhere; just curious.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #47 on: 19 Oct 2016, 12:44 pm »
Hey Good Morning!

Its post #4765 at:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/headphone-systems/193977-objective2-o2-headphone-amp-diy-project-477.html

I agree my new booster board isnt going anywhere.....

In my DIY hobby and always wanting to play with something, this TI Chip, designed by TI for these applications, I had to try an O2 without 4556's. Its really an easy thing to do....relatively.

So now my two O2's have been modified, one with the booster board the other with these 1688's.

Alex

Note: http://www.ti.com/product/OPA1688

Simple circuit....(not the O2).

Rocket

« Reply #48 on: 17 Nov 2016, 11:06 pm »
Hello,

Firstly, I would like to thank AGDR for all the help with the installation of the booster board.  Unfortunately I broke the pins when installing the booster board and it wasn't working correctly.  I sent the booster board and my 02 to Martin for diagnosis and repair to AGDR Audio which was completed in a timely manner.  Martin's customer support really is fantastic and he's so helpful.

I've been away for a couple of weeks and tonight was my first opportunity to hear the upgraded 02 (with booster board).  I had a listening session for about an hour last night and it sounds very good.  I can't provide a direct comparison between the stock unit though.  I'm taking the headphone system to work for more listening today.

I am using the Objective 02 (booster board) with iMod (vinnie rossi) and Fostex Massdrop X002's.

Cheers Rod

agdr

« Reply #49 on: 19 Nov 2016, 03:39 pm »
Rocket and dB Cooper - I'm glad you guys like your O2 Booster Boards!  :)   Thank you for the listening impressions.  It is always interesting to hear what folks think with the different headphones and IEMS paired with the Booster Board!

You both have the latest V3.5 Booster Boards.  There are several unique things about the Booster you won't find in a lot of other headphone amps, including the power rail filters on the OPA827 chips and the second order feedback network around the looped OPA827 + LME49600 pair.  Both of those chips are just excellent for audio.

Enjoy!  :D