new passive preamp

sas

new passive preamp
« on: 3 May 2005, 07:46 am »
Hi CIAudio,

I'm really interested that you mention that a new passive preamp is in the making, featuring tape loop and a remote. I'm searching for a passive, and can only find the Creek OBH22 that has a remote and a reasonable price. The other option are either way too expensive or DIY kits (I'm not good with a soldering iron).
Would be good to hear what the new preamp would look like in terms of size (similar perhaps to your existing non-remote preamp?) and get a rough idea on target price and release date

thanks, sas

CIAudio

new passive preamp
« Reply #1 on: 3 May 2005, 03:29 pm »
The new preamp is still in the design stage and probably won't be out until the end of summer. Being that it will have 4 inputs, 2 pair of outputs, and a tape loop, it will require a larger chassis to accommodate all of the rear panel jacks etc. Our current plan is to make a chassis the width of two CIAudio monoblocks.

The audio circuit is pretty simple and the design has been completed. We are also designing our own RF remote control/receiver system, which will enable the user to control all functions by the remote (even tape monitor).
The preamp will also have front panel controls. Our target price is $695.

chadh

new passive preamp
« Reply #2 on: 4 May 2005, 02:56 am »
Dusty,

Do you envisage making a HT bypass option available?

Chad

CIAudio

new passive preamp
« Reply #3 on: 4 May 2005, 04:51 am »
You can use the "tape out" as a HT bypass. This will take the selected source and send it to the HT receiver/processor while bypassing the passive volume control.

Psychicanimal

new passive preamp
« Reply #4 on: 4 May 2005, 03:40 pm »
...and when Dusty runs out of audio products to design we will see an infomercial selling Channel Islands juicers.  Watch out Jack LaLane!!!! :rotflmao:

doug s.

• makin' music
new passive preamp
« Reply #5 on: 4 May 2005, 03:59 pm »
Quote from: Psychicanimal
...and when Dusty runs out of audio products to design we will see an infomercial selling Channel Islands juicers.  Watch out Jack LaLane!!!! :rotflmao:

soooo...  there *is* life on planet psychicanimal!   :wink:

hope all's well, francisco...

doug s.

CIAudio

new passive preamp
« Reply #6 on: 4 May 2005, 08:02 pm »
...and when Dusty runs out of audio products to design we will see an infomercial selling Channel Islands juicers.

Francisco, I'm sure this will provide all the juice you need  :D

chadh

new passive preamp
« Reply #7 on: 4 May 2005, 10:21 pm »
Quote from: CIAudio
You can use the "tape out" as a HT bypass. This will take the selected source and send it to the HT receiver/processor while bypassing the passive volume control.

Unless I have a headphone amp hooked up as well.  Then the headphone amp would likely want to sit on the tape out.  

Actually, it's not such a big deal, I guess, to have pre-outs from a receiver go through another volume control, as long as one worked out an appropriate volume setting...I'm not likely to be doing any super-critical movie listening.

Chad

CIAudio

new passive preamp
« Reply #8 on: 5 May 2005, 04:37 am »
Unless I have a headphone amp hooked up as well. Then the headphone amp would likely want to sit on the tape out.

Actually, it's not such a big deal, I guess, to have pre-outs from a receiver go through another volume control, as long as one worked out an appropriate volume setting...I'm not likely to be doing any super-critical movie listening.

I have decided to add a pair of selection jumpers to the 2nd pair of line outputs, so you can select direct out, or through the volume control.

This will allow you to use the tape out AND have a HT bypass OR a 2nd pair of variable outputs for biamping or a powered sub.

If you did use the variable out into the HT system, you'd simply set it at full volume since a passive adds no gain. The danger here is if you forget to turn it down before playing the hifi system.

chadh

new passive preamp
« Reply #9 on: 5 May 2005, 05:01 am »
I have decided to add a pair of selection jumpers to the 2nd pair of line outputs, so you can select direct out, or through the volume control.

This will allow you to use the tape out AND have a HT bypass OR a 2nd pair of variable outputs for biamping or a powered sub.

If you did use the variable out into the HT system, you'd simply set it at full volume since a passive adds no gain. The danger here is if you forget to turn it down before playing the hifi system.

Awesome.

Thanks,
Chad

dhiebert

• http://darrenhiebert.com
new passive preamp
« Reply #10 on: 19 Aug 2005, 02:04 am »
We are also designing our own RF remote control/receiver system, which will enable the user to control all functions

What is the reason for choosing RF over IR? Won't RF mean having to have a small antenna sticking out of the chassis somewhere?

CIAudio

new passive preamp
« Reply #11 on: 19 Aug 2005, 02:26 am »
What is the reason for choosing RF over IR? Won't RF mean having to have a small antenna sticking out of the chassis somewhere?

RF means it won't have to be direct line-of-sight to operate and will have much better range than IR types. Yes it will have a small antenna but you'll have to look for it to see it  8)

-Dusty-