VPC-1 AND DAC or active preamp...

truant

« on: 1 Feb 2005, 09:23 pm »
Looking for a little 2CH advice/info...I'm considering the VPC-1 to replace my Norh ACA 2b and wonder whether the addition of the CI dac would make up for any possible loss in dynamics. I'm also planning to upgrade my drivers and X/Os turning my speakers into 6.9s(I've already purchased the X/Os from Norh)which I expect will help with this. While keeping my system as simple and inexpensive as possible I'm wanting to get the most from the least. Basically I like the sound of my system but would like to retrieve more detail and sharpen the focus of the musical image if that makes any sense.
  I know for the price of the passive pre and the dac(+power supply) I could get a better preamp such as the EE Minimax or IRD Purist (and maybe even save some $) but I'm intrigued with the passive pre. And since my only source is my Sony9000 I've considered a dac.
  Thanks for help weighing the options.
Associated equipment: Sony 9000ES/IRD MB100s/Norh 6.1 Prisms/VH Audio Pulsar ICs(1M)/TMC spkr cable(2M)/LAT PCs.

CIAudio

« Reply #1 on: 1 Feb 2005, 11:03 pm »
It depends on what you're looking for...the VDA-1/VPC-1 will have good dynamics even with an amplifier of 22k input impedance (like our VMB-1's). Imaging and detail is also very good this way.

You'll generally have even better dynamics from an active preamp, but also introduce more coloration from the added stage of amplification.

As with all systems, it's a matter of finding the synergy between components that gives you the end result you're looking for.

ryno

« Reply #2 on: 1 Feb 2005, 11:11 pm »
I have the VDA-1 and it is an improvement over the DAC in my denon DVD player, cheaper model, mostly in the imaging, tighter, less diffuse, and clarity. And drives my amp into clipping with a passive pre, IRD purist.  I.m thinking about the VDA/VCP for my bedroom system but need two preouts and don't know if splitting is a good idea.
Ryan

CIAudio

« Reply #3 on: 2 Feb 2005, 12:49 am »
I.m thinking about the VDA/VCP for my bedroom system but need two preouts and don't know if splitting is a good idea.

Splitting the output isn't a problem, providing the source can properly drive the load of the potentiometer and the input impedance of both amps in parallel. Since you already have the gear, give it a try!

dhiebert

• http://darrenhiebert.com
What about high input impedance of the D-100
« Reply #4 on: 25 Aug 2005, 05:59 pm »
Quote from: CIAudio
...the VDA-1/VPC-1 will have good dynamics even with an amplifier of 22k input impedance (like our VMB-1's).

By "even", were you implying that 22k is high or low (at first read, I thought you meant high)? What about the very high 100 kOhm input impedance of the D-100?

Of course, with 100k input impedance, one has to be very careful with cable capacitance between the VPC-1 and the D-100. What would be the the maximum capcitance you would recommend with that combination?

Darren

CIAudio

« Reply #5 on: 25 Aug 2005, 07:55 pm »
You shouldn't have a roll off problem with any reasonable length cable.
I believe DACT.com still has their handy calculator you can download for free. You can punch in 10k for the pot value, 100k for the load resisitance value, and your measured capacitance, and it will graph the frequency response/roll off.