Decware Betsy OB speakers and Tolvan's Edge Software.

emtor

How important is the use of Tolvan's Edge Software?
Take Decware Betsy OB speakers as an example. When Edge is given the dimensions for the Betsy you get an enormous off the chart peak @ 500 Hz (approx. +15dB),
and @ 60 Hz the output is -4dB which is a difference of 11dB.
The Betsy speakers are supposed to sound quite good despite the rather horrible response indicated by the Edge software, so what is going on here?
- Either I'm missing something (which of course is quite possible), or the Edge's response curves aren't really that important.

seikosha

Re: Decware Betsy OB speakers and Tolvan's Edge Software.
« Reply #1 on: 21 Mar 2024, 08:25 am »
I don’t think it’s a secret that the design of that baffle is not theoretically ideal.  That said, once you stick it in a room, the frequency response will be altered anyway so everyone’s measurements will be different.

emtor

« Reply #2 on: 21 Mar 2024, 08:43 am »
I don’t think it’s a secret that the design of that baffle is not theoretically ideal. 

Seems to me that the Betsy baffle size and shape is as far from theoretically ideal as one could get, but still they get good reports for their sound.

seikosha

« Reply #3 on: 21 Mar 2024, 12:44 pm »
Seems to me that the Betsy baffle size and shape is as far from theoretically ideal as one could get, but still they get good reports for their sound.

I’ve got a pair of the original Betsy’s that I listen to occasionally.  They definitely don’t sound like they have that huge 500hz bump and in fact, they sound like there’s a big suck out maybe in the 200-300 range.  Do the measurements account for the fact that the driver is sitting so close to the floor?  I feel like the sound is pretty decent for the money, but then again, when I bought my pair, I think they were only about $350.00.  They will give you a glimpse of what open baffle can sound like.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #4 on: 21 Mar 2024, 05:21 pm »
A circle with the driver in the middle makes for the worst shape for an OB, This OB is not far from that.

dave

JohnR

« Reply #5 on: 21 Mar 2024, 11:27 pm »
Take Decware Betsy OB speakers as an example. When Edge is given the dimensions for the Betsy you get an enormous off the chart peak @ 500 Hz (approx. +15dB),
and @ 60 Hz the output is -4dB which is a difference of 11dB.

Hi, your numbers don't add up. Could you post a screenshot maybe (both the graph and the dimension/setup would be helpful.)

JohnR

« Reply #6 on: 21 Mar 2024, 11:31 pm »
Facilitator note: I've removed a couple of unnecessarily provocative posts. Please keep the OB circle focussed on useful discussion. Thank you  :thumb:

emtor

« Reply #7 on: 22 Mar 2024, 06:23 am »
Hi, your numbers don't add up. Could you post a screenshot maybe (both the graph and the dimension/setup would be helpful.)

MJK

• Quarter Wavelength Loudspeaker Design
« Reply #8 on: 22 Mar 2024, 01:58 pm »
Increase the number of sources used for the driver, that will smooth out the EDGE's baffle response. Upgrade the analysis to use BASTA (same Tolvan site) to include the driver properties and get a more realistic look at the OB design and the SPL response. It won't look very good, you really need at least a  two way for an OB speaker to produce any bass output.