Recommended speakers

Welborne

• I love open baffle with 100db sensitivity!
Re: Recommended speakers
« Reply #40 on: 17 Aug 2009, 09:52 am »
My other pair of open baffle consisting of the legendary east german communist era Schulz TH-315 12" coaxial studio monitor with actively driven 18" celestion open baffle woofer. I use Virtue 2 for the coaxial and populse for the woofer via dbx 223, similar to my grundig with isophon tweeter set up. Sound is glorious!! :thumb:

with measurement taken at listening position (about 2.5 m from baffle) by Behringer ecm8000 condeser mic+Audionet CARMA V3 rta+emu0202 usb sound card with class-a mic-preamp

jkelly

« Reply #41 on: 26 Aug 2009, 10:15 pm »
I just received a Virtue Two amp and I am using it with my Erlings design OB with great results.
The source is a Bolder SB3 and PS.  Nice tone and great depth.  Plenty of juice for this rig.

Welborne

« Reply #42 on: 27 Aug 2009, 07:04 am »
I just received a Virtue Two amp and I am using it with my Erlings design OB with great results.
The source is a Bolder SB3 and PS.  Nice tone and great depth.  Plenty of juice for this rig.

:thumb: very nice baffle set up.

Are the woofers Eminence Alpha A 15", what are the sensitivity like.

panomaniac

« Reply #43 on: 27 Aug 2009, 02:12 pm »
Very cool!  Yes, please tell us more.

jkelly

« Reply #44 on: 27 Aug 2009, 02:35 pm »
These speakers started out as a CS2 clone.
I never really got them sounding right so I decided to change the top
horn area to a replaceable section to try different mid/tweeters.

At the same time Erling posted his work on a similar design.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=65570.0.

Erling selected these drivers and designed the crossover.

So far I am very pleased with this setup.

Jeff

Welborne

« Reply #45 on: 27 Aug 2009, 02:57 pm »
These speakers started out as a CS2 clone.
I never really got them sounding right so I decided to change the top
horn area to a replaceable section to try different mid/tweeters.

At the same time Erling posted his work on a similar design.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=65570.0.

Erling selected these drivers and designed the crossover.

So far I am very pleased with this setup.

Jeff

Your set up is quite similar to mine, especially in the aspect where I can try different speakers on top with tailor made mounting board etc. I guess they must sound delicious :drool:

dvenardos

« Reply #46 on: 23 Oct 2009, 07:55 pm »
I have got the GR Neo 2x demo speakers in the house. These speakers make a fabulous match with the Virtue Two.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=67863.0

Affordable

« Reply #47 on: 18 Nov 2009, 06:43 am »
I am waiting for new stock to be available. This is a whole new arena for me, I am interested in the desire of Virtue to bring in new folks to the
Audiophile realm, that's me. The biggest speakers I have are for HT and nothing like the expensive ones I see on this list. Isn't the best thing about Virtue the affordability and performance ? One of the biggest uses of Virtue Amps seems to be a way to save money on an Amp to spend it on expensive speakers... So, what do folks suggest for small speakers (as a Virtue Amp is a small unit) ? At an affordable price, I'll be interested in ideas under 500 and under 1000. I will listen to them as I move around the house, no listening room or anything along those lines. I may even stream some music over a wireless link. Thanks.

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #48 on: 18 Nov 2009, 04:18 pm »
You get it, Affordable!  We're a step closer to bringing the ONE "classic" back today.  After much deliberation and small tweaks, the latest PCB including soft-start, and the separate external soft-start went off to prototyping yesterday.  We'll have what I hope is the "gold master" by the end of the month.  As soon as I authorize mass production, I'll email the mailing list (sign up on the left side of the home page) as well as posting here.  We'll do a first-come, first-served waiting list and I'm going to offer the ONE.2 with the stepped attenuator and dual input caps (bass management) for a flat $299.  We'll also do a combo special with RedWine and GR Research for their battery kits.  We'd love to have you "steal" an amp from us!  You can spend the money you save on a great pair of speakers.  We exhibited with GR Research, Ascend Acoustics, Silverline, Omega, Usher, and Audioengine at RMAF.  Each of us have our preferences, at different price points.  You choose!

dvenardos

« Reply #49 on: 19 Nov 2009, 02:55 am »
For under 1K I would recommend the Neo 2x, but they are not small speakers, they are large monitors. For under $500 I would recommend Tweak City Audio's WAF-1. They are tiny by audiophile standards and a very solid speaker. Unbeatable for the price.
http://tweakcityaudio.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=21&category_id=7&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

I am waiting for new stock to be available. This is a whole new arena for me, I am interested in the desire of Virtue to bring in new folks to the
Audiophile realm, that's me. The biggest speakers I have are for HT and nothing like the expensive ones I see on this list. Isn't the best thing about Virtue the affordability and performance ? One of the biggest uses of Virtue Amps seems to be a way to save money on an Amp to spend it on expensive speakers... So, what do folks suggest for small speakers (as a Virtue Amp is a small unit) ? At an affordable price, I'll be interested in ideas under 500 and under 1000. I will listen to them as I move around the house, no listening room or anything along those lines. I may even stream some music over a wireless link. Thanks.