Looking for a nice CAD program

JohnR

« on: 5 Jan 2003, 09:30 pm »
I need to find a CAD program for drawing speakers. I'd like it to support dimensioning, so I can say eg this is 9" wide and 12" wide and the drawing is all scaled properly. I'd be happy with line drawings and an isometric view.

I think this is fairly simple but wouldn't know where to start looking. It needs to be cheap (free or less than $100) and easy to use. Any thoughts?

JohnR

Ferdi

« Reply #1 on: 5 Jan 2003, 10:08 pm »
Hi John, I remember a reference that someone made on HD. How about Intellicad. You can download a fully functional demo at: http://www.cadopia.com/

I don't know more about it though.

audioengr

« Reply #2 on: 6 Jan 2003, 02:41 am »
John - for simple dimensioned 2-D drawings and Patent drawings, I like to use Corel Draw 8.0.  Great tool and very flexible and fast to create drawings.  Learning curve is much shorter than Autocad etc..  If you need 3-D, then I would recommend Rinoceras.

bob82274

« Reply #3 on: 6 Jan 2003, 02:47 am »
Another thing that you could try is AutoCAD LT.  Its the dumbed down version of AutoCAD and has a much nicer price tag (not sure on the exact value) plus its easier to learn.  It lacks the full 3d of AutoCAD but that doesn't seem to be a problem for you.

JohnR

« Reply #4 on: 6 Jan 2003, 09:57 am »
Cool, thanks guys, I will try some of those tomorrow :-)

John Chapman

• http://www.bentaudio.com
« Reply #5 on: 6 Jan 2003, 04:07 pm »
John,

Just a quick vote for intellicad mentioned above. I have audiocad and a while back had to do some drawings quick and did not have acad setup on my portable. I scooped intellicad from the net thinking it to be a temporary solution. I was amazed at the quality for a freeware program. Does more than any typical cad user needs and it's similar enough to autocad to just start using it. I still use it now and if fact never bothered installing autocad on that machine. It's dwg format is compatible with acad - handy for sending files to others.

Many Thanks!

John Chapman